Past #17: Lachie Young - NM trade #63 for LY in '20 trade period - delisted end '23 - 39 NM games / 1 NM goal - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 996477

"an offer" is singular.

"an offer.......but does not accept that offer", further reinforces singularity, which has been declined.

My reading of this is that the dogs have very weak grounds to apply for a trade pick, if this can be ratified.

The way I read that, he is a free agent as soon as he rejects the third year of being a rookie.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The way I read that, he is a free agent as soon as he rejects the third year of being a rookie.

Yes, there's definitely scope for that stricter interpretation, but what is his free agent status?

Yes, there's definitely scope for that stricter interpretation, but what is his free agent status?

Pretty sure once he rejects it he becomes a delisted free agent and he is able to accept any contract with any other club. The other offer afterwards is void if he rejected the third year as a rookie.

It is designed to allow players who are being left as rookies to maximise their ability to become senior players, massive pay difference for them.

Jul 12, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
View attachment 996477

"an offer" is singular.

"an offer.......but does not accept that offer", further reinforces singularity, which has been declined.

My reading of this is that the dogs have very weak grounds to apply for a trade pick, if this can be ratified.

Agree. As soon as the offer is declined, the Rookie Player becomes a Free Agent and able to negotiate a senior contract. The alternative interpretation would mean that the Current Club would always have the option to table a senior list offer at any time, which would result in other Clubs being less motivated to negotiate with the Rookie Player for a senior list contract (which cannot be the intention).

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
As a bush lawyer only, I read it clearly that FA is triggered immediately upon the rejection of any offer of a 3rd year rookie contract. There are no sub-clauses about extraneous circumstances, e.g. subsequent offers, clouding this point.

Got a mate who may need your services.

The acurate one

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Pretty sure once he rejects it he becomes a delisted free agent and he is able to accept any contract with any other club. The other offer afterwards is void if he rejected the third year as a rookie.

It is designed to allow players who are being left as rookies to maximise their ability to become senior players, massive pay difference for them.

Agree. As soon as the offer is declined, the Rookie Player becomes a Free Agent and able to negotiate a senior contract. The alternative interpretation would mean that the Current Club would always have the option to table a senior list offer at any time, which would result in other Clubs being less motivated to negotiate with the Rookie Player for a senior list contract (which cannot be the intention).

Can the bulldogs then decide to match it, as they could under typical FA rules?

Can the bulldogs then decide to match it, as they could under typical FA rules?

No, delisted free agents are unrestricted free agents.

Dogs are going to try and argue they offered him a senior contract after he rejected the rookie spot. We will have to see if the AFL try and screw us or not.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Hm

As a bush lawyer only, I read it clearly that FA is triggered immediately upon the rejection of any offer of a 3rd year rookie contract. There are no sub-clauses about extraneous circumstances, e.g. subsequent offers, clouding this point.

Of course you may still choose to play nice with the Dogs in the context of any other deals that are being cooked up behind the scenes, but it seems black and white to me.

From a experience of watching the castle - the dogs haven’t got a leg to stand on.

And tell them they’re dreaming

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's trade Dom Tyson for him. Everyone wins!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
No matching for a DFA.

Okay, welcome to North Lachie Young.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
View attachment 996477

"an offer" is singular.

I agree, its the vibe, its mabo, yeah its the vibe.

barnrokn

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2017
Straightouttanthmelb
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Yeh you'd think if there's evidence of the rookie offer he and his agent can argue that they took that as the trigger for his free agency status.

The fact the dogs came back with a senior spot to patch up their loophole ****up should be irrelevant.

As someone said though, this smacks of a pyrrhic victory. We'll whack off about getting one over them as he goes on to play 2 games and gets delisted.
Call their bluff they can keep him.
Who’s it push out instead?

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As someone said though, this smacks of a pyrrhic victory. We'll whack off about getting one over them as he goes on to play 2 games and gets delisted.

2 better than none like many we get! (Narrier)

Or play more than a few only to realise they were poor to start with and coincidentally, still are (Sierakowski)

Lauchy young = the forever.

Lachie Young = The guns, having some fun, crazy ladies keep 'em on the run

Back