Lachie's Shots at Goal at the Weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder what was going on with him on Friday. From the time he kicked that great goal against Brisbane a couple of seasons back, I always thought he had a fairly good kick. Even last week he was pretty good apart from the little slip up near the end of the game. However, on Friday he looked liked he'd forgotten how to kick full stop. Hopefully, it's just a once-off. He's really looking the goods lately.

I wonder what was going on with him on Friday. From the time he kicked that great goal against Brisbane a couple of seasons back, I always thought he had a fairly good kick. Even last week he was pretty good apart from the little slip up near the end of the game. However, on Friday he looked liked he'd forgotten how to kick full stop. Hopefully, it's just a once-off. He's really looking the goods lately.

As Brad Scott said to me in the box, "He doesn't miss 'em at training."

Needs to exhibit the confidence he had down back.

Needs to find his mojo.

Needs to come to the realisation that he is a god and the only thing stopping him is himself.

Could be anything, he played mainly at CHF last Friday so he would've done a few kms, and by the time he got the ball and tried to kick it his legs were like jelly, at one stage when lining up for goal he was red in the face and blowing pretty hard. Whereas the week before he kicked goals early in the game.

Another thing some of the young kids are doing wrong is not kicking the ball high enough when kicking for goal, this means when the ball is kicked high the follow through is much straighter and the ball tends to go straight.
Ziebell kicks for goal like he is kicking in the field of play, he needs to kick the ball higher when kicking for goal.
Accurate field kicking is misleading because the target is moving and as such the reciever can accelarate or decelarate depending on where the ball is kicked making it look like the kicker has kicked it perfectly.

He is supposed to have a good engine Lachie so i doubt this and plenty of CHFs kick goals in the last quarter or even in extra time ... eg Carey at the massive Waverley way back when we beat Hawthorn.

On Friday night he got too close to the man on the mark and leaned back too far. I wouldn't try and completely change his kicking style, just get him to lean over it a bit and give himself more room ... this week he'll kick 5.

Could be anything, he played mainly at CHF last Friday so he would've done a few kms, and by the time he got the ball and tried to kick it his legs were like jelly, at one stage when lining up for goal he was red in the face and blowing pretty hard. Whereas the week before he kicked goals early in the game.

Another thing some of the young kids are doing wrong is not kicking the ball high enough when kicking for goal, this means when the ball is kicked high the follow through is much straighter and the ball tends to go straight.
Ziebell kicks for goal like he is kicking in the field of play, he needs to kick the ball higher when kicking for goal.
Accurate field kicking is misleading because the target is moving and as such the reciever can accelarate or decelarate depending on where the ball is kicked making it look like the kicker has kicked it perfectly.

Very astute observations.
Now all we need is goalposts that move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, leant back waaaay too far, back and away to the left - meaning he dropped the ball from outside his right hip, which is why it hit the outside of his boot/shin and went away to the right.

Needs to go further back on the mark, keep his body upright (not lean away to the left), lean forward over his kick with his head (as Plugger always did), keep his guiding (right) hand in line with the right side of his body, and follow through long and strong.

I know how to do it, but was actually a mediocre kick for goal myself, with a maximum range of about 35m (due to hammies bought from the JW Smith hammy shop - stupid purchase in retrospect).

I think the occasion got to him, big crowd, friday night on national tv. He probably had a thousand thoughts going thru his head. He has matured some but he still has a bit to go.

I think the occasion got to him, big crowd, friday night on national tv. He probably had a thousand thoughts going thru his head. He has matured some but he still has a bit to go.

Pretty much how I saw it. Rushed it, looked like a bloke who had only played a handful forward. His kicking action is very good, so unless it gets into his head it shouldn't be a problem.

On his game generally, I reckon he covered more ground than any North forward I've seen for ages. Walker has been towelling blokes going their way for 5 weeks or so, but Hansen gave him enough to think about. I reckon he and Warren deserve some praise for the amount of space Thomas had one out. Wasn't a coincidence.

Lachie was as buggered as I've ever seen him. Maybe he carried a bit of an injury into the game.

As Brett Ratten said on Saturday morning, with the benefit of hindsight maybe Joseph wasn't 100% and coming off a 6 day break, we probably shouldn't have risked him.

Nice way to trot out the excuses....

On his game generally, I reckon he covered more ground than any North forward I've seen for ages. Walker has been towelling blokes going their way for 5 weeks or so, but Hansen gave him enough to think about. I reckon he and Warren deserve some praise for the amount of space Thomas had one out. Wasn't a coincidence.

Spot on, I gave Warren a mention in the votes, mainly because he'd just come back into the team however Hansen helped also. The simple fact is that the forward line as a whole was more dangerous when it was mobile with marking power.

As I mentioned earlier in another thread, there is no doubt that Lachie ran decoy in the first half last week. I have no problem at all with his standard of effort v Carlton.

It's his kicking and confidence that concern me. All he has to do is take the same mindset up forward that he showed down back and the matter will resolve itself. He needs to be a little more arrogant.

His set shot kicking was disappointing but it was the cutesy across the boot snap shots that really annoyed me, particularly after his howler against Brisbane. Why the hell don't players go the high percentage option and use drop punts in those situations? Stupid, lairy across the boot/body kicks cost St Kilda dearly in last year's GF. I hope that never happens to us.

Drop punts, Lachie. Drop punts.

His set shot kicking was disappointing but it was the cutesy across the boot snap shots that really annoyed me, particularly after his howler against Brisbane. Why the hell don't players go the high percentage option and use drop punts in those situations? Stupid, lairy across the boot/body kicks cost St Kilda dearly in last year's GF. I hope that never happens to us.

Drop punts, Lachie. Drop punts.

Nearly everyone wants to kick around the corner these days.

Milne, Didak, Alwyn Davey, serial offenders.

Waite ****ed up a kick around the corner on the weekend.

In the last 1/4 he went with the banana and put it OOBOTF when a straight kick would have been the go.

Brad said we'll be lucky if they don't score a goal here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back