Player Watch Lachlan Gollant - Contract Extension to 2024

119others

The Crows are coming
Apr 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
If only they meant something these days
true to an extent. Clearly the compensation received for a contracted player very likely to be MUCH better than uncontracted so another team would need to pony up

If I was J Reid I wouldnt be letting him go even for a pick after 20. Would have to be way overs (12-18) not that he is worth it but he is contracted AND wanted by the club

119others

The Crows are coming
Apr 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

AFL career​

Adelaide (2010–2011)​

Gunston made his AFL debut against the Brisbane Lions in 9th round of the 2010 AFL season. In a promising debut Gunston collected seven disposals and kicked a vital goal in the final quarter.[5] He played one more game in round 18 against Richmond collecting nine disposals. He finished the year on the wing with Central District's 2010 premiership Side.

In 2011 he played 12 games, kicking five goals against Richmond in round 23.[6]

After two years in Adelaide, Gunston became homesick and sought to return to Victoria. He refused to participate in the finals series for Central District, choosing to return home to Victoria before the end of the SANFL season.[7] Adelaide had awarded him the Mark Bickley Award as the club's best young player, but he was stripped of the title after announcing his intention to leave.[8]

Above from wiki, my comments below

It was the way he left which left Crows fans bitter for many years. Telling the club he was going to re-sign and then calling from the airport (on the day of the B&F from memory) saying I aint coming back was pretty $hitty. I maintained at the time Horks should have needed to pay a lot more for him after he nomintaed them as the only club he wanted to join. In general clubs are better compensated these days when young talented players leave.

Also he got people offside saying living in Adelaide was 'making him turn into an angry person' (or words to that effect). Unfortunately with the lack of a reserves team and playing for Centrals all the way out at Elizabeth wasnt ideal for an inner city private school boy from a VERY rich family (his Dad has floated various companies on the ASX and was also on the AFL Commission before passing away in recent years)

Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

AFL career​

Adelaide (2010–2011)​

Gunston made his AFL debut against the Brisbane Lions in 9th round of the 2010 AFL season. In a promising debut Gunston collected seven disposals and kicked a vital goal in the final quarter.[5] He played one more game in round 18 against Richmond collecting nine disposals. He finished the year on the wing with Central District's 2010 premiership Side.

In 2011 he played 12 games, kicking five goals against Richmond in round 23.[6]

After two years in Adelaide, Gunston became homesick and sought to return to Victoria. He refused to participate in the finals series for Central District, choosing to return home to Victoria before the end of the SANFL season.[7] Adelaide had awarded him the Mark Bickley Award as the club's best young player, but he was stripped of the title after announcing his intention to leave.[8]

Above from wiki, my comments below

It was the way he left which left Crows fans bitter for many years. Telling the club he was going to re-sign and then calling from the airport (on the day of the B&F from memory) saying I aint coming back was pretty $hitty. I maintained at the time Horks should have needed to pay a lot more for him after he nomintaed them as the only club he wanted to join. In general clubs are better compensated these days when young talented players leave.

Also he got people offside saying living in Adelaide was 'making him turn into an angry person' (or words to that effect). Unfortunately with the lack of a reserves team and playing for Centrals all the way out at Elizabeth wasnt ideal for an inner city private school boy from a VERY rich family (his Dad has floated various companies on the ASX and was also on the AFL Commission before passing away in recent years)

Unfortunately future picks were not a thing back then. We definitely got unders and they had us in a tough spot due to him being uncontracted

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mileratkinsshow

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Too good to be playing Sanfl. Aggression and skill. Needs to be a regular in 2024.

He is the sort of player you need to find a position for - he has aggression and determination. Maybe wing. But his goal kicking is excellent, and he gives you the ability to move him forward and become a threat (if he is not initially named forward). Personally, I would play TT on a wing, and Gollant forward, particularly while Jones is out for an extended lay off.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Perfect Stranger

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2023
AFL Club
Adelaide
He is the sort of player you need to find a position for - he has aggression and determination. Maybe wing. But his goal kicking is excellent, and he gives you the ability to move him forward and become a threat (if he is not initially named forward). Personally, I would play TT on a wing, and Gollant forward, particularly while Jones is out for an extended lay off.

Gollant must be played as a forward. Who is TT?

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Given McAdam is out of contract and unsigned, does it seem likely that he'll be traded / delisted? If so then I'd slot Gollant into his spot in the forward line.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
0% chance McAdam will be delisted. I can only imagine he would be traded if he requests it.
I guess the fact that he hasn't signed makes me think he may have already requested it? Although I haven't heard any rumours that this has happened or which club(s) might be after him. But nor have I heard anything about whether any negotiations have taken place around a contract with us? Just dead silence.

Mileratkinsshow

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thilthorpe

My theory with Thilthorpe is his ball use is so good, you just have to have him in the game and getting 20 touches a game. If he had that sort of opportunity I’m sure he would be kicking a goal a game as well - if not more. Could swap Riley forward and Lachie to wing as well. I’d like to see it.

Oct 8, 2004
Woodside
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles(SANFL)
What is Gollant like with the ground ball? Has he played any other position besides forward in the SANFL?

If he's after McAdam's position, McAdam seems to have the advantage on the ground and tackling and equally as good as Gollant with the aerial ball. If he's after Fogarty's spot, Fogarty has him for strength and being a true key position player. Similarly, with Thilthorpe, who has him for height.

I agree, he seems a class above SANFL level and has done so for a couple of seasons, when many of the other Crows players don't. I'd like to see him in the side, but where?

We'd also not get a decent trade for him at this stage, as he hasn't shown enough at AFL level.

Mileraatkinsshow mentioned wing earlier (or Thilthorpe wing/swapping). I like that idea very much, but risky to introduce at this stage of the season. Burton was very effective on the wing back in the day, whether Gollant has that running capacity? Would give us a point of difference. Hopefully he sticks around for the last year of his contract and we can find a place for him in the side next season.

What is Gollant like with the ground ball? Has he played any other position besides forward in the SANFL?

If he's after McAdam's position, McAdam seems to have the advantage on the ground and tackling and equally as good as Gollant with the aerial ball. If he's after Fogarty's spot, Fogarty has him for strength and being a true key position player. Similarly, with Thilthorpe, who has him for height.

I agree, he seems a class above SANFL level and has done so for a couple of seasons, when many of the other Crows players don't. I'd like to see him in the side, but where?

We'd also not get a decent trade for him at this stage, as he hasn't shown enough at AFL level.

Someone mentioned wing earlier (or Thilthorpe wing/swapping). I like that idea very much, but risky to introduce at this stage of the season. Burton was very effective on the wing back in the day, whether Gollant has that running capacity? Would give us a point of difference. Hopefully he sticks around for the last year of his contract and we can find a place for him in the side next season.
Wasn't he a midfielder up until a growth spurt?

Oct 8, 2004
Woodside
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles(SANFL)
Wasn't he a midfielder up until a growth spurt?
On his player bio it still says he's a lightly built outside midfielder. I've not seen much SANFL, but I've only ever seen him up forward as that marking target for both the Reserves and in the AFL. Given our forward strength and the possibility of Welsh in the future - trialing him in the midfield/wing seems a good idea.

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
On his player bio it still says he's a lightly built outside midfielder. I've not seen much SANFL, but I've only ever seen him up forward as that marking target for both the Reserves and in the AFL. Given our forward strength and the possibility of Welsh in the future - trialing him in the midfield/wing seems a good idea.

I can't see Welsh being ready for AFL until 2026 at earliest - unless he's out of this world, but even Cadman only played 3 games his first year. Logan Mac only played 7 games his first year too.

By 2026, Walker will be retired, and McAdam will be 31.

In 2026 ROB will be 30 and out of contract by the end of 2025 - so a decision will have to be made on who our next ruck is. If Thilthorpe, then we will have plenty of room in our forwards for both Gollant and Welsh.

I think next year is Gollant's big year to crack the AFL - his manager would be telling him this and the crows would be. He's shown really positive signs, but we will need to make room for him for our 2026 premiership.

Ideally we will move TT up the ground, put Gollant in. If McAdam doesn't sign, he's an easy in.

Back