Player Watch Pick #16 (2020, match NGA bid) - Lachie Jones

FWIW, we've had 8 first round picks in Ken's time at the club - 6 of them have played round 1 of their first season (Wines, Powell-Pepper, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Georgiades) and 2 haven't (Marshall, Bergman). Ken definitely likes playing high end talent from the get go.

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hope not,we want someone who plays for the love of the jumper,love of the club,to be the best he can be,not someone who is motivated by trying to prove a point to his coach.
Saw a recent interview with Clarkson talking about Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell. He stated one of the things about all of them was that they would try to prove the coach wrong as a motivation whether dropped or criticised.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Judging him slightly early based on an internal trial where half the team swapped guernseys?
partially, but he looked a bit lost in the structure, the tempo of the game wasnt there and most probably not the fitness to run-out a complete AFL game, but more importantly there are 3 or 4 ahead of him that deserve a spot in the backline before him, being Leinart, Garner, Bergman etc. I think his ceiling this year will be 3 or 4 games tops, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like in the interview when he hit Corcoran, ‘I hadn’t had an impact with the ball so took my opportunity to impose myself’ or something along these lines. It’s that mentality we have been missing/manufacturing from 2015-2019 that lead us to mediocrity. Last year and now this year, this ‘impact’ matches feels genuine.
Josh Carr turned us around when he debuted, because of just that. We he did not have the ball “he imposed himself” in the game in every pack, he was a game changer for us

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Honestly I think peoples expectations for Lachie need to be lowered a bit. Our backline is a tough place to crack into, just ask Joel Garner. I think if Jones plays half a dozen games this year it’ll be a success. Bright talent for sure.

Other than being rundown from behind by Dixon early, I thought Jones looked ok in the internal trial.

You've got to look better than 'ok' to get a gig for us right now though. It's not 2011 anymore.

Bergman showed a lot more than Jones IMO. If a spot opens up in defence I'd have Bergman first in line.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You've got to look better than 'ok' to get a gig for us right now though. It's not 2011 anymore.

Bergman showed a lot more than Jones IMO. If a spot opens up in defence I'd have Bergman first in line.
That's fine if he has to work for a spot it's a good position for us to be in, I just take issue with w@nkers saying he's miles off it he's a manchild & has impressed on the track he's not some light framed project player waiting for puberty to hit.

Lachlan "Vinnie" Jones

Do what it takes ;)

14854948-0-image-a-90_1560695595841.jpg

WHOME

Club Legend
May 18, 2007
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
That's fine if he has to work for a spot it's a good position for us to be in, I just take issue with w@nkers saying he's miles off it he's a manchild & has impressed on the track he's not some light framed project player waiting for puberty to hit.
So anyone who has a different opinion to you is a w***er, such a mature contribution. Arrogant prick. How about you save the smart ass attitude for the day Jones proves his readiness for AFL football.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looked off AFL pace last week but was a different player this week, far more composed with the football and just looked to understand his role a lot better. I've gone from being unsure about his ability to play AFL this year to being confident he can slot in if needed.

Back