Delisted #41 Lachlan Rankin

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 58 -
Height: 182cm Weight: 68kg
D.O.B: 05-02-2003
POSITION: Medium Utility
SNAPSHOT: "A versatile prospect with high-level smarts and evasion, Rankin showcases clean skills in every third of the ground."
A mainstay throughout the elite talent pathway, Lachlan Rankin has picked up plenty of representative honours along his junior footballing career. The versatile Oakleigh Chargers product was part of Vic Metro's Under 16s and 19s campaigns, while also earning a late call-up to the AFL Academy squad in April and being named in the 2021 APS Football Merit Team. The 18-year-old's clean hands and skills are indicative of his pure footballing talent, backed by clever evasive technique and a terrific sense of surrounding. He only managed four NAB League games this year, also turning out for Caulfield Grammar, but has shown plenty of form at high levels to prove his class in a variety of roles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
SNAPSHOT: "A versatile prospect with high-level smarts and evasion, Rankin showcases clean skills in every third of the ground."

A mainstay throughout the elite talent pathway, Lachlan Rankin has picked up plenty of representative honours along his junior footballing career. The versatile Oakleigh Chargers product was part of Vic Metro's Under 16s and 19s campaigns, while also earning a late call-up to the AFL Academy squad in April and being named in the 2021 APS Football Merit Team. The 18-year-old's clean hands and skills are indicative of his pure footballing talent, backed by clever evasive technique and a terrific sense of surrounding. He only managed four NAB League games this year, also turning out for Caulfield Grammar, but has shown plenty of form at high levels to prove his class in a variety of roles.

STRENGTHS:

+ Clean hands
+ Kicking
+ Versatility
+ Smarts
+ Evasion

IMPROVEMENTS:

- Strength
- Inside game

Rankin started his top-age campaign with a bang in one of the most watched NAB League games in recent memory. He burst out of the blocks with Oakleigh's first two goals, lining up next to highly touted Sandringham Dragons skipper Josh Sinn in a relatively new forward role. In that game and beyond, Rankin showcased his versatility and wickedly slick skills - two of his greatest weapons as a footballer.

The 182cm prospect had previously impressed as a running half-back and wingman with clean kicking skills and top-end decision making. He carried those traits over to his forward-midfield rotation, proving a confident finisher in front of goal and getting creative inside 50. With smarts and one-touch handling, Rankin is also a terrific front-and-centre crumber who makes the most of whatever delivery he receives.

When shifted further afield, the 18-year-old looks to set up play by foot. Whether taking the kick-ins or making sound decisions in open play, Rankin has an efficient short and long game to go with his quick and clever work by hand. His ability to adapt his skills to roles at either end of the ground and bring competitiveness to each line would undoubtedly have been a terrific wildcard for his coaches.

While not the quickest of players, Rankin's mind is much more nimble that others' and allows him to get out of tight spots. With his terrific spacial awareness, he often feints one way but turns on a dime and heads the other, allowing more time to execute his skills under less pressure. Rankin is also surprisingly good overhead, not afraid to leap for marks and put his light frame in the way of aerial contests.

Speaking of a light frame, that is arguably one area Rankin will look to enhance. He weighed in at 68kg at the start of the year and is quite proficient on the outside, but can certainly add some muscle to ensure his crumbing game and competitiveness translate to higher levels. He is not unfamiliar with featuring at the centre bounces and has the nous and work rate to thrive there, but can also develop his inside craft as he grows.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 35-60

SUMMARY:

As far as natural footballers go, Rankin is one of the cleverest and most efficient in this year's crop. Most of what he does is economical and he can adapt his skills to suit a variety of roles on all three lines. He works hard and makes things happen in possession with quick thinking, factors which also suit the pace of the modern game. Given his accolades and glimpses of class this year, he could well rank around the second round for some clubs, but will likely offer great value a little later on.

Chargers coach Jason Davenport told SEN Drive
“(Lachlan) Rankin will do things that a lot of players just can’t do on a footy field,” he enthused.
“I talk to him a lot about Alan Didak… he’s way too young to remember Alan Didak, but as someone who only needed the ball a handful of times to influence the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Chargers coach Jason Davenport told SEN Drive

"Way too young to remember Didak"

fml I’m old lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is the kid I'm most excited about from our draft. Admittedly based off a 2 minute highlight reel. But the one thing that was consistent throughout it was his quick thinking.

Side-stepping an opponent and changing direction straight away before they could tackle him. Grabbing an opponent's arm in a chicken wing tackle straight away rather than wrapping around their body. Getting boot to ball straight away around goals when the opportunity is there. Looking in to the corridor straight away from half back.

Signs of a player whose brain is working fast. A player who works smarter, not harder.

And alas, I now read his profile and what are some of his strengths? "Top-end decision-making" and "strong spatial awareness".

Footy smarts are always welcome!

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
In a pre draft interview, Rankin says he's more than happy to go interstate and sees it as a challenge. Swans were the first of 4 clubs he'd spoken to the most so he just of had a fair idea we were keen on him.

Good luck Lachlan. I hope you turn out to be a ripper and have a life long swans career.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
... and that is certainly better than my first thought, which was **shiver** Gary Rohan **shiver**.
Except that Gary Rohan has zero footy smarts and gets through games on talent and pure luck. This kid has the smarts and the talent. I'm backing him in for a much better career than Gary ever had.

Except that Gary Rohan has zero footy smarts and gets through games on talent and pure luck. This kid has the smarts and the talent. I'm backing him in for a much better career than Gary ever had.

heh ... it was more the carrot top!

Being slight he relies a bit on chicken wing tackles judging just from the ltd vision.

Still he seems cool headed and has good IQ - qualities Rohan does npt possess.

The Club having spoken to him in advance must be satisfied the go home factor was not in play.

Getting old is better than the alternative.

That depends on quality as well as quantity. Public health, nutrition and and science have extended life but not the decline in its quality at extreme age.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
I think this is the kid I'm most excited about from our draft. Admittedly based off a 2 minute highlight reel. But the one thing that was consistent throughout it was his quick thinking.

Side-stepping an opponent and changing direction straight away before they could tackle him. Grabbing an opponent's arm in a chicken wing tackle straight away rather than wrapping around their body. Getting boot to ball straight away around goals when the opportunity is there. Looking in to the corridor straight away from half back.

Signs of a player whose brain is working fast. A player who works smarter, not harder.

And alas, I now read his profile and what are some of his strengths? "Top-end decision-making" and "strong spatial awareness".

Footy smarts are always welcome!
Yeah same. Well, I mean, needs aside, I'm hopeful about the others too, but Warner and Rankin have the potential to fill a wing spot or cause havoc on a flank.

Some other things about Rankin that caught my eye:

"wickedly slick skills"
"not afraid to leap for marks and put his light frame in the way of aerial contests"

Personally I'm hoping Cunningham takes him under his wing and shows him "the ways of the small utility". Cunners wasn't massive when he arrived, but has certainly developed into a bit of a unit, while not losing speed or skills.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back