Player Watch Lachlan Sholl

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not asking him to be a contested player but he literally runs a weave pattern or slows down to avoid a ball or contest if it seems there will be contact.

Does it numerous times, just go back and look at how he let Bontempelli waltz through to win the ball and kick the final goal in Ballarat last week.
I largely said this in game day threads weeks back and had everyone telling me how good he'd been. Offensively he's ok but he's allergic to laying tackles the same as Atkins was and we know how that turned out.

I hope he can add some defensive to his game but I'm just not sure...

Id be fine to trade him out if he had some value.

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not asking him to be a contested player but he literally runs a weave pattern or slows down to avoid a ball or contest if it seems there will be contact.

Does it numerous times, just go back and look at how he let Bontempelli waltz through to win the ball and kick the final goal in Ballarat last week.
Whether your an inside player, or an outside player it doesn't matter, when it's your time to have a crack, it your turn to do it as a player

All the player on the ground play a contested sport, no player, no matter what role can avoid not making a contest when it's your turn

If the Nicks team DNA is a side that embraces and welcomes the contest I can't see how Shol ticks that profile

On CPH2211 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
He is a cheat of a player.
Pretends to put in effort but regularly deviates off the line when it’s his time to go.
He admonishes himself and shakes his head as if he is disappointed with his effort. Then he puts in the same soft effort at the next contest.
I could not handle him as a teammate, Rory Atkins or Aaron Fiora are spot on comparisons.

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
The merged/deleted thread was comparing Sholl and Atkins.

I don't get the comparison really. Atkins was a player with a knack of getting the ball in a crowd and running himself out of danger, with the downside that he also often got the ball in acres of space and ran himself into trouble rather than take a simple kick.

Where Sholl is more of a beneficiary of the stereotype that any disposal that isn't long down the line must be the perfect combination of artistic vision and intellectual rigour.

The only real similarity is that they both generated a lot of hype for their style of play, continued to play the same way, then were criticised when the new player shine wore off.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m not a Sholl hater but I just see him as having little effect
When we got cleaned out on the inside of the contest all day like we did today, its hard for the outside mids to get near it as everything becomes reactionary

Remember we have been crying out for speed outside as we have too many inside ball winners. I am prepared to give him time. We have seen him play some good footy and he is young

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
When we got cleaned out on the inside of the contest all day like we did today, its hard for the outside mids to get near it as everything becomes reactionary

Remember we have been crying out for speed outside as we have too many inside ball winners. I am prepared to give him time. We have seen him play some good footy and he is young
Sholl is not quick though, endurance running along with his kick are his outstanding traits. Contested football has been his kryptonite right back when I first layed on him in his underage year for the Cannons. That's why he went so late in the draft, he's a very very outside player to be most effective....the good teams have woke up to him and don't allow him the space he needs to be effective by foot.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

I don’t see him having speed

Sholl is a better player than Atkins because Atkins had no spatial awareness at all and would get run down from behind once or more per match. Sholl's awareness and decision making is better.

I think it's too early to say whether he sucks. When the midfield is getting annihilated, outside players will always look bad. More pressure on them, less time to use their strengths.

However he needs to be harder at the ball when it's his turn

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Sholl is a better player than Atkins because Atkins had no spatial awareness at all and would get run down from behind once or more per match. Sholl's awareness and decision making is better.

I think it's too early to say whether he sucks. When the midfield is getting annihilated, outside players will always look bad. More pressure on them, less time to use their strengths.

The last bit is the biggest thing.

You can have a bad day, but you HAVE to go when it's your turn.

Ramify

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think he has a more rounded game, and probably a better temperament than Atkins but Less X-Factor.

We should pitch Goldcoast a trade.
Scholl for Luko.

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
The merged/deleted thread was comparing Sholl and Atkins.

I don't get the comparison really. Atkins was a player with a knack of getting the ball in a crowd and running himself out of danger, with the downside that he also often got the ball in acres of space and ran himself into trouble rather than take a simple kick.

Where Sholl is more of a beneficiary of the stereotype that any disposal that isn't long down the line must be the perfect combination of artistic vision and intellectual rigour.

The only real similarity is that they both generated a lot of hype for their style of play, continued to play the same way, then were criticised when the new player shine wore off.
Nah Sholl refuses to tackle whenever possible just like Atkins. Both players always try corale rather than put real heat on the opponent if you haven't noticed that I don't know what to tell you.

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

He doesn't suck offensively when the games are on the right terms but defensively he's been consistently terrible pretty much all year.

Hopefully he can turn it around but for me personally he's my most frustrating player.

He doesn't suck offensively when the games are on the right terms but defensively he's been consistently terrible pretty much all year.

Hopefully he can turn it around but for me personally he's my most frustrating player.
My worry is that Nicks has shown he rates David Mackay. If Sholl can't develop an effective tackling game that won't matter at the selection table

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide

That's it, people asking why our outside mids are not good at contested ball.
If they were, they would be inside mids
I think Sholl has been improving his contested work, 2nd year player still learning about the bigger bodies in AFL

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
That's it, people asking why our outside mids are not good at contested ball.
If they were, they would be inside mids
I think Sholl has been improving his contested work, 2nd year player still learning about the bigger bodies in AFL
He was drafted in 2018, this is his 4th year on our list and his 3rd year at AFL level.

Back