Player Watch Lachlan Sholl

Remove this Banner Ad

22 years old 4th year on an AFL list....Either way we've got him until the end of 2024.

I just can't see his game standing up in Finals type footy unless he gets a lot braver when it comes to body contact.
It looks like the coaches have pointed it out to him and he is trying to improve it.
We seem to keep saying it about nearly every wingman we've had.
Although Cook looks exciting on the other wing,

Nah Sholl refuses to tackle whenever possible just like Atkins. Both players always try corale rather than put real heat on the opponent if you haven't noticed that I don't know what to tell you.
Right, but Atkins did a lot of his operating in a crowd. He didn't tackle that much, but he wasn't completely afraid of contact. In fact one of the biggest criticisms of him (or more Pyke's use of him) was that he went far to deep into defence for posessions/counter-attacks, making himself a huge defensive liability in the process.

Sholl on the other hand mostly lives in his own world away from all other players except his direct opponent.

Sholl is a better player than Atkins because Atkins had no spatial awareness at all and would get run down from behind once or more per match. Sholl's awareness and decision making is better.

I think it's too early to say whether he sucks. When the midfield is getting annihilated, outside players will always look bad. More pressure on them, less time to use their strengths.

However he needs to be harder at the ball when it's his turn
You gotta have that spatial awareness to know when you’ve got to pull out.

What would his trade value be roughly? I like him but you obviously have to give up something reasonable if you want something reasonable back.

I'd love to improve our draft hand and can't see many other ways that we can.

What would his trade value be roughly? I like him but you obviously have to give up something reasonable if you want something reasonable back.

I'd love to improve our draft hand and can't see many other ways that we can.
Other than Gold Coast who have NFI, every other club sees what we can see, he's not worth anything as a trade.

You have to recruit players who can take finals heat or you'll end up a forever mid table side. Sholl will never be finals standard, that's what I keep saying about this rebuild, too many players won't make the required grade.

It looks like the coaches have pointed it out to him and he is trying to improve it.
We seem to keep saying it about nearly every wingman we've had.
Although Cook looks exciting on the other wing,

I would hope that the coaches have identified his contested work as an area he needs to improve on. If not we are in strife.
At the moment I have no faith in him winning a 50/50.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we have MANY players that would have a spot in a good side, why can’t they makes us a good side?
Consider the future. 2027.

Star Crows on-baller Johnny Reliable wins the ball deep in the defensive half. For some reason Taylor Walker is still the star full-forward at Adelaide and is 1v1 with a weaker defender.

Johnny Reliable is a good kick, but for some reason cannot kick 80m off one step under pressure. He can however find ultra-outside winger Lachlan Sholl, who is poor at many parts of the game, but is good at finding space and kicking the ball. Mr Reliable delivers the ball to Sholl perfectly, who can't possibly not mark the ball. Sholl then follows up with a decent kick to Walker. Mark, goal, etc.

Replace Walker or Johnny reliable with replacement players and Sholl is useless. Similarly, replace Sholl with another inside mid or key forward and the two star players can't combine effectively.

See also:
  • Fogarty when forced to find the ball himself vs when there are other good forwards and all the other defenders are occupied with better players.
  • Frampton when forced to defend vs Frampton free to help other defenders
  • Keays at Adelaide vs Keays at Brisbane

Consider the future. 2027.

Star Crows on-baller Johnny Reliable wins the ball deep in the defensive half. For some reason Taylor Walker is still the star full-forward at Adelaide and is 1v1 with a weaker defender.

Johnny Reliable is a good kick, but for some reason cannot kick 80m off one step under pressure. He can however find ultra-outside winger Lachlan Sholl, who is poor at many parts of the game, but is good at finding space and kicking the ball. Mr Reliable delivers the ball to Sholl perfectly, who can't possibly not mark the ball. Sholl then follows up with a decent kick to Walker. Mark, goal, etc.

Replace Walker or Johnny reliable with replacement players and Sholl is useless. Similarly, replace Sholl with another inside mid or key forward and the two star players can't combine effectively.

See also:
  • Fogarty when forced to find the ball himself vs when there are other good forwards and all the other defenders are occupied with better players.
  • Frampton when forced to defend vs Frampton free to help other defenders
  • Keays at Adelaide vs Keays at Brisbane

I like the sound of this Johnny Reliable, sign me up 👍

There's a real balance between utilising a player's existing strengths and trying to improve their deficiencies.

Sholl has a big engine, finds space, can help us maintain some outside structure around the ball. Generally a good user. Provides run. Should complement our inside grunt players.

Weaknesses: Built like a twig, doesn't always straight-line the ball, misses tackles, not good in contested ball situations.

Do we get Sholl to spend some time in the guts in the SANFL? Round off his game, have to earn his kicks a different way. Or do we accept him as is?

I look at Hugh McCluggage as a comparison. Like Sholl started as a skinny outside player. Has progressed to the point that he can play inside and outside. Has built his frame up. Has kept his strengths while adding more. McCluggage is an early pick star of course but the concept for Sholl is the same.

Imho his good doesn't quite override his bad, albeit I think it's a lot closer than others on here. I like Sholl and think we need some predominantly outside players. But it seems as though in scrappy games where we're pressured he doesn't quite have the tools to impact. Clean games where we have some time and space he's fine but those games are rare against strong teams.

Coach Carl says a month playing 50/50 centre & wing in the SANFL then reassess.

Sholl is listed as 1cm taller than McCluggage yet he's 4kg lighter. There is definitely room for him to improve his strength and contested game, it's possible that with a stronger body he'll accept the physical side of the game more.

Last edited:
There's a real balance between utilising a player's existing strengths and trying to improve their deficiencies.

Sholl has a big engine, finds space, can help us maintain some outside structure around the ball. Generally a good user. Provides run. Should complement our inside grunt players.

Weaknesses: Built like a twig, doesn't always straight-line the ball, misses tackles, not good in contested ball situations.

Do we get Sholl to spend some time in the guts in the SANFL? Round off his game, have to earn his kicks a different way. Or do we accept him as is?

I look at Hugh McCluggage as a comparison. Like Sholl started as a skinny outside player. Has progressed to the point that he can play inside and outside. Has built his frame up. Has kept his strengths while adding more. McCluggage is an early pick star of course but the concept for Sholl is the same.

Imho his good doesn't quite override his bad, albeit I think it's a lot closer than others on here. I like Sholl and think we need some predominantly outside players. But it seems as though in scrappy games where we're pressured he doesn't quite have the tools to impact. Clean games where we have some time and space he's fine but those games are rare against strong teams.

Coach Carl says a month playing 50/50 centre & wing in the SANFL then reassess.
Hughey had a very well developed inside game at the Ballarat Rebels well before he was drafted by the Lions.

Brisbane have the luxury of not needing to use him much on the inside with their depth of inside mids..they've currently got Deven Robertson, Ely Smith, Rhys Mathieson, Tom Berry and James Tunstill running around in the 2's that can all win their own ball. And even Mitch Robinson last weekend.

Sholl is listed as 1cm taller than McCluggage yet he's 4kg lighter. There is definitely room for him to improve his strength and contested game, it's possible that with a stronger body he'll accept the physical side of the game more.
The difference is Hughey was very competitive as an inside/outside mid for the Ballarat Rebels/Vic Country long before he was drafted by Brisbane.

Lachlan Sholl however has always been a very outside player right back to the Calder Cannons/Vic Country.

Game style wise at the time they were both drafted they are poles apart in that regard.

Hughey played almost exclusively inside/outside mid at the Rebels, Sholl half back/wing at the Cannons.

The difference is Hughey was very competitive as an inside/outside mid for the Ballarat Rebels/Vic Country long before he was drafted by Brisbane.

Lachlan Sholl however has always been a very outside player right back to the Calder Cannons/Vic Country.

Game style wise at the time they were both drafted they are poles apart in that regard.

Hughey played almost exclusively inside/outside mid at the Rebels, Sholl half back/wing at the Cannons.
All i'm saying is that it's possible, not necessarily likely.

Small steps to the contest tells you everything you need to know about this fella. Years ago no one ever heard the terms inside and outside. Some players had more burst speed and ability than others and that was all.
When it's your turn to have a dip, tackle, head over ball, hit a contest hard, whatever, just do it.
If you can't manage this fundamental you don't belong in the game at any level.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back