Player Watch Lachlan Sholl

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just the same story again with Scholl. As the season goes on he reverts to being this player.
This happens every year and I just think that's what you get with Scholl.

He's not suited to a full season of AFL and it's not about his endurance, his body just gets worn down after a few games and he becomes this weak, witches hat like mess.

It's just the same story again with Scholl. As the season goes on he reverts to being this player.

He's not suited to a full season of AFL and it's not about his endurance, his body just gets worn down after a few games and he becomes this weak, witches hat like mess.
Yep had put together a solid first month, last 2 weeks has been a liability mostly. I was an early critic when he was a golden child on these boards and got laughed at for suggesting there were some Atkins 2.0 qualities. Whilst I think Sholl tries to lay tackles etc he just can't stick them & it becomes a liability.

Sholl ffs

There is no C

Yep had put together a solid first month, last 2 weeks has been a liability mostly. I was an early critic when he was a golden child on these boards and got laughed at for suggesting there were some Atkins 2.0 qualities. Whilst I think Sholl tries to lay tackles etc he just can't stick them & it becomes a liability.
I just don't think he's physically capable

He hasn't put up this amount of consecutive tackles in the past? But did miss quite a few tackles today.

1683358208240.png

Came here to say the same thing. I thought he'd make it but to easily brushed aside against the good teams.
I think he'll have a great pre season, and turn up in good shape, but his body cannot stand up to the physicality as the season wears on. He ends up looking like he has barely any energy, especially on defence as his tackles are so easily rushed aside.

I think he'll have a great pre season, and turn up in good shape, but his body cannot stand up to the physicality as the season wears on. He ends up looking like he has barely any energy, especially on defence as his tackles are so easily rushed aside.
Is he the ideal sub choice then?. Plays limited minutes and preserves his body

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely time to look at an upgrade for his wing position.

Unfortunately Cook is hardly setting the world on fire in the scoobies.

Bailey Williams would be a good option if he came at a reasonable price

Definitely time to look at an upgrade for his wing position.

Unfortunately Cook is hardly setting the world on fire in the scoobies.

Bailey Williams would be a good option if he came at a reasonable price
If we're looking for a small bodied outside player I'd have Parnell in ahead of Sholl right now. We've played him at half back but I don't see any reason why he couldn't go onto a wing. I haven't seen any SANFL games so not sure how his form is, but he can't offer much less than Sholl has the last couple of weeks so would be worth a shot.

If we're looking for a small bodied outside player I'd have Parnell in ahead of Sholl right now. We've played him at half back but I don't see any reason why he couldn't go onto a wing. I haven't seen any SANFL games so not sure how his form is, but he can't offer much less than Sholl has the last couple of weeks so would be worth a shot.
Parnell on a wing could be worth a shot. Fast, skilled and playing well in the 2s.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Parnell on a wing could be worth a shot. Fast, skilled and playing well in the 2s.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Parnell also gets punished by a stiff breeze. I think he's better defensively though.

I don't hate Sholl and nor do I think he's soft. He's just not very athletic. What I mean by that is there's no power in his running or jumping. He can't change direction easily and he is slow to recover from going to ground. Also his frame isn't suited to building strength, so he's easily pushed aside and tackled. He's not soft and has gone hard a few times this year and it's come off. Just doesn't have the physical traits.

He suits a game where we're on top in the ground/contested ball and he can be a receiver. With space he uses the ball really well. When we're struggling in this area and doing more of the chasing, he gets shown up.

Did have a pretty good start to the year though when I didn't want him in the team. So what do I know.

Shoe-horning a (very) small defender into a wing position would be the last thing I'd do. I also doubt we'd be looking for a "small bodied outside player". Modern wings get sucked into the contest a fair bit and gone are the days where they just hang out the back. I'd rather see cook or nankervis tried on the wing.

I once thought Hamils future was as a wingmen rather then a defender as well. I really don't know what's happened to him. The dare and speed have completely disappeared.

Shoe-horning a (very) small defender into a wing position would be the last thing I'd do. I also doubt we'd be looking for a "small bodied outside player". Modern wings get sucked into the contest a fair bit and gone are the days where they just hang out the back. I'd rather see cook or nankervis tried on the wing.

I once thought Hamils future was as a wingmen rather then a defender as well. I really don't know what's happened to him. The dare and speed have completely disappeared.

The dare and speed haven't disappeared at all: he's just not very clean at it.

He was quite dominant in the seconds on Saturday. Has played a fair bit of wing. Can break the lines. We need to go up a level and he would provide more than Sholl IMHO.

Hmm you may be right. I just looked at the stats and Sholl is actually a fair bit bigger than I thought. That said, he may have 8kg and 10cm on Parnell, but right now he's certainly playing like he's smaller than Parnell so I still don't know how much we'd actually be losing by giving it a try. Either that or throw Milera on the wing and slot Parnell into his spot at half back. Although if I had my way I'd be dropping Milera right alongside Sholl.

Re Hamill, I suspect the repeated concussions may have taken their toll. I doubt he'll ever become the player he had the potential to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back