AFLW Lack of female coaches in AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah i agree, i'm just thinking if they want a fair and professional comp before they go to the official WAFL womens next year, they should be evening up the amount of AFLW players plating at the various clubs, and they'd need to set zones for recruiting so that people cant just go where they want. The rumour is though, that the AFLW players playing at current clubs are threatening not to play if they dont get to play at their current club. I dont know how much susbtance there is to the rumour though, its just what ive heard.

Last year in SA, they broke up the Adelaide Crows based players among the different Adelaide Footy League Women's Division One teams, and introduced a cap where only three AFLW players could play on the same day for any particular team.

That's changed this year, with most Crows playing for the NT Thunder in the VFLW.

The VFLW has a cap this year where no more than 12 AFLW players can play on the same day for any particular team.

Better than last year when Ebony Marinoff was allowed to play for Darebin and Mo Hope transferring mid-season to Melb Uni - that should have never been allowed to happen.

Last year in SA, they broke up the Adelaide Crows based players among the different Adelaide Footy League Women's Division One teams, and introduced a cap where only three AFLW players could play on the same day for any particular team.

That's changed this year, with most Crows playing for the NT Thunder in the VFLW.

The VFLW has a cap this year where no more than 12 AFLW players can play on the same day for any particular team.

Better than last year when Ebony Marinoff was allowed to play for Darebin and Mo Hope transferring mid-season to Melb Uni - that should have never been allowed to happen.

Yeah theres a similar thing happening over here via a points system, but from memory they dont include certain players in the points and you've got teams that have 10 or more AFLW players that still fit under the points cap and other clubs with 0 AFLW players, so its not exactly fair. Some teams are getting flogged by 20 goals.

Yeah theres a similar thing happening over here via a points system, but from memory they dont include certain players in the points and you've got teams that have 10 or more AFLW players that still fit under the points cap and other clubs with 0 AFLW players, so its not exactly fair. Some teams are getting flogged by 20 goals.
I think there will be a levelling out. I can see players playing in coastal or Swans first team, then being booted back to ressies when the AFLW players come back. It may take a few years though. I wouldn't be adverse to the league calling the players bluff, and putting a game day AFLW player cap on.

I think there will be a levelling out. I can see players playing in coastal or Swans first team, then being booted back to ressies when the AFLW players come back. It may take a few years though. I wouldn't be adverse to the league calling the players bluff, and putting a game day AFLW player cap on.

Yeah i think the league should call their bluff, after all, no player should be above the integrity of the competition. We'll have to wait and see.

Kearney still does U12 girls coaching I think? If she has a desire for it after playing then she can go through the whole coaching accreditation ritual and probably become an AFLW coach. I assume there are a lot of men coaching women's teams because there are a lot of men who haven't found a position for coaching a men's team and have migrated where there is demand for coaches. I think as more women go through the accreditation process, the more that will end up in the AFLW.

Kearney still does U12 girls coaching I think? If she has a desire for it after playing then she can go through the whole coaching accreditation ritual and probably become an AFLW coach. I assume there are a lot of men coaching women's teams because there are a lot of men who haven't found a position for coaching a men's team and have migrated where there is demand for coaches. I think as more women go through the accreditation process, the more that will end up in the AFLW.

Yep, thats how i ended up in womens footy. I was asked to apply because they wanted experienced and accredited coaches in the league as fast as possible to help fast-track the girls learning. We have a couple of women coaches working with us who are learning from us and wanting to gain experience etc but it will take time.

Yep, thats how i ended up in womens footy. I was asked to apply because they wanted experienced and accredited coaches in the league as fast as possible to help fast-track the girls learning. We have a couple of women coaches working with us who are learning from us and wanting to gain experience etc but it will take time.

Our club has had a close relationship with MUWFC since 2010, both with the players and with the coaching staff helping them to develop their skills and their programs, the ladies train at Arden Street between 6-8pm on Tuesdays and Thursday nights. Gowans who is MU's current senior coach for the 2018 VFLW team will be our AFLW coach in 2019, I think we will also field a VFLW team as well in 2019.

Laura Kane became our new football operation manager in 2017, we met her through MUWFC where she is still the president of the football club, she was also instrumental in helping us gain our licence. I think some clubs have a genuine desire to integrate with the community and it isn't something that is just a token. I know women have got a raw deal for a long time, but at least at my club there is a genuine desire to have women as part of our football community. There will be female coaches, many of them and there will be women coaching mens teams one day.

I know people are impatient and want to fast track it but it will evolve at it's own pace, the grass roots growth pushes everything. The girls of today are going to be the women of tomorrow who desire to get into coaching and the industry matures enough so people can do it for more than just the love of it. It would be great if we could accelerate it but some things take time to mature.

Missing the point entirely. Bec Goddard didn’t leave the crows because she was a bad candidate, she left because she needs to work a full time job on top of being a coach. She had used up all of her leave from said job. If there is no support pathway for aspiring female coaches then there won’t be any.
It's a bit odd that a big club like Adelaide couldn't find a full time roll for Goddard at the club. It's also surprising that none of the 6 Victorian clubs (as of 2019) seemed to want her, since they could have presumably had her coaching their VFLW team too, which would have added up to a full time workload.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back