austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Makes sense. Those clubs get much better attendance than we do, that's the bottom line. When we think of the disappointment of our good Friday game last year, we think of the team's performance, but when the AFL think of it, they think of the disappointing turnout:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-18/poor-crowd-dampens-norths-good-friday-spirits

NORTH Melbourne remains committed to building Good Friday into an annual blockbuster, but club CEO Carl Dilena concedes this year's "disappointing" crowd was a setback for the fixture.
After lobbying since the 1990s to play on Good Friday, North got its wish in 2017 when the AFL finally agreed to fixture a game on the religious holiday.

The Kangaroos took on the Western Bulldogs in that inaugural game and drew a healthy crowd of 42,814 at Etihad Stadium.

However, when North took on a new opponent, St Kilda, in this year's second Good Friday game, that figure fell to 33,966.

That was round 2, so it wasn't like Saints fans had given up on the team by then, in fact most of us were expecting a win.

And let's be honest, that figure is a good crowd for us the last few years. Want to change the deal? Get more Saints fans out if their living rooms and down to games.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not a lot of options left unfortunately. We had our chance last year but the crowd was poor and the footy was poorer.

Unfortunately it was never going to work with two smaller clubs, North got in first.

Maybe we could look at jumping in on the indigenous round, v Collingwood on the Friday night.

Plenty of history there with Nicky and Gilbert, not sure how Essendon and Richmond would feel about it though as it's the main game of the round.

Not a lot of options left unfortunately. We had our chance last year but the crowd was poor and the footy was poorer.

Unfortunately it was never going to work with two smaller clubs, North got in first.

Maybe we could look at jumping in on the indigenous round, v Collingwood on the Friday night.

Plenty of history there with Nicky and Gilbert, not sure how Essendon and Richmond would feel about it though as it's the main game of the round.

not sure collingwood are keen on being reminded of that game either

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
I understand why we were dropped from Good Friday because of how poor we played, but Norf got ******* smashed too. To lock this one in for 20 years would be a huge ******* disaster. North Melbourne shouldn't have the rights to Good Friday footy just because they were involved in getting Friday Night Footy into the AFL.

Maddies Match
Pride Game
Who cares about either? Maddies Match is nice for fundraising, but it's not ever going to draw more eyes than a normal game against Richmond. Same with the pride game. No ones tuning in just because there is rainbow colored s**t everywhere.

Really shot ourselves in the foot by not turning up last year on Good Friday.

Maddies Match
Pride Game

We just need better time slots for those games, which we’ll get once we start winning. Unfortunately that’s what it will take & we are not guaranteed of a unique time slot like the big clubs when we are playing poorly & have low crowd numbers.

what is really hurting the pride game is this swapping of the home game. just make it a st kilda home gave every year and build something around it. instead its massively watered down being moved up to sydney every 2nd year.

we need to come up with something and make it our own. problem is lack of clear air.

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just need to earn respect as a club- right now that means winning and knocking off the more fancied teams and playing finals. People pay money to watch winners, and many rusted on Saints I know, just lost interest in the last couple of years and didn't bother going to games after a lifetime of support. We have to take some giant steps now.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
what is really hurting the pride game is this swapping of the home game. just make it a st kilda home gave every year and build something around it. instead its massively watered down being moved up to sydney every 2nd year.

we need to come up with something and make it our own. problem is lack of clear air.
doesn't help the AFL doesn't want to do anything to help give it some clean air.

Last year it was scheduled the same weekend as Queen's Birthday with the Fight MND fundraiser which meant it was hidden in the media.
This year they have scheduled the match up for rd 23, which doesn't have a set date yet and the priority will be on other things.

It's hard to build something when the AFL is working against us.

If our supporters won't turn up then we won't get these games. It's pretty simple really.

I doubt it was the North supporters boosting the numbers though.

doesn't help the AFL doesn't want to do anything to help give it some clean air.

Last year it was scheduled the same weekend as Queen's Birthday with the Fight MND fundraiser which meant it was hidden in the media.
This year they have scheduled the match up for rd 23, which doesn't have a set date yet and the priority will be on other things.

It's hard to build something when the AFL is working against us.
Well said!

I doubt it was the North supporters boosting the numbers though.

I was at that game and the North supporters outnumbered us 3 to 1. It was their home game though.

I was at that game and the North supporters outnumbered us 3 to 1. It was their home game though.

No, I meant at the game vs the Bombers.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
I would try and lock in a marquee game for the last week of September myself.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Maybe we should help lobby the Australian government for another public holiday first, then get the AFL to turn it into a marquee game for us.

My suggestion:

Since the last Saturday in June seems to the date for the Pride March, get Australian government to give Australians the day before as a public holiday, and lock Saints vs Swans Friday 2pm start at MCG and SCG alternately. Curtain raiser can be a AFLW game between Female Saints team and A.N. Other.

So im sitting here watching melbourne play richmond in front of 80k plus at the MCG

Then it hits me. Are we the only melbourne club now that does not have a marque game. Yet we are playing better football then alot of melbourne teams have done so for a decade or more

Season opener: carlton vs richmond
Good friday: north melbourne vs western bulldogs
Easter monday: hawthorn vs geelong
Anzac eve: melbourne vs richmond
Anzac day: collingwood vs essendon
Indigineous round: richmond vs essendon
Queens birthday: melbourne vs collingwood

It seems to me that if you're an Etihad tenant you get forgotten about. Then they do the dogs and norf a solid despite us having a bigger supporter base

We literally have nothing in terms of a marquee game and you wonder why we struggle for sponsorship compared to other clubs
Western Bulldogs dont have one
It has nothing to do with playing out of Etihad more to do with how crap we have been and our poor crowds.
The media have it in for us and the AFL have it in for us, NO they dont.
No one to blame but our self
Win games and be well run club and things will change

Palantine

All Australian
Mar 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Marquee means less and less, the only true marquee is four points on offer. There was a game last night, two today, one last Friday and one this Friday and then Saturday night, oh and one on Monday etc... personally I don’t care, best slot for me is Saturday arvo. And so called blockbuster only means large crowd not good game. The fact is no one knows what will be a good game or not. Just get me the four points.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Western Bulldogs dont have one
It has nothing to do with playing out of Etihad more to do with how crap we have been and our poor crowds.
The media have it in for us and the AFL have it in for us, NO they dont.
No one to blame but our self
Win games and be well run club and things will change

The marquee game brings in big dollars once a year, playing top 4 footy fills the stadium for every game. I know what I'd prefer.

Back