Roast Lack of marquee game

Just keep winning and they will come.
And hopefully we can make a better fist of increasing memberships than we did in our most successful era in 2009/10.

It’s all about the numbers and the bums on seats.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Instead of whinging that the afl don’t give us a big game it’s up to our club and the supporters to support the games. We had Good Friday. Not only did we play like crap which isn’t that important we got a pathetic crowd to the game. I know it wasn’t our home game but the previous year got 10k more with a club we say is smaller than that. There was no excuse for that crowd Look at how pathetic Melbourne are going at the moment and 72 k turn up. Yes it’s against the tigers but still plenty of dees there. Blaming marvel clubs is a bit strange because 2 out the 4 tenets get a marquee game

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
doesn't help the AFL doesn't want to do anything to help give it some clean air.

Last year it was scheduled the same weekend as Queen's Birthday with the Fight MND fundraiser which meant it was hidden in the media.
This year they have scheduled the match up for rd 23, which doesn't have a set date yet and the priority will be on other things.

It's hard to build something when the AFL is working against us.

And logically why would the afl be working against us? They want all sides to be successful. When we give our requests to the afl maybe we don’t prioritise that game. Who knows. We need to get the chip off our shoulder and turn up to games.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
Instead of whinging that the afl don’t give us a big game it’s up to our club and the supporters to support the games. We had Good Friday. Not only did we play like crap which isn’t that important we got a pathetic crowd to the game. I know it wasn’t our home game but the previous year got 10k more with a club we say is smaller than that. There was no excuse for that crowd Look at how pathetic Melbourne are going at the moment and 72 k turn up. Yes it’s against the tigers but still plenty of dees there. Blaming marvel clubs is a bit strange because 2 out the 4 tenets get a marquee game
We would have got 80k against the tigers last night, let's be real, 60k would have been tigers.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
We would have got 80k against the tigers last night, let's be real, 60k would have been tigers.
I was there and I can assure you it wasn’t that unbalanced. Members packed. Majority demons. And obviously a fair few in there non mcc members area as well. Where was our crowd against north last year when we actually had a chance to prove we can get people to a marquee game instead of guessing we would get a crowd

I was there and I can assure you it wasn’t that unbalanced. Members packed. Majority demons. And obviously a fair few in there non mcc members area as well. Where was our crowd against north last year when we actually had a chance to prove we can get people to a marquee game instead of guessing we would get a crowd

Could it make a difference that Good Friday is part of a long weekend and people are away? Also, many Jewish members would not have attended because it was the first night of Passover, which starts early evening.

A week night before the ANZAC day holiday would probably have seen way more of our members turn up.

Maybe.

Facts are, we need more members, and more of them showing up at games to show we are serious.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Could it make a difference that Good Friday is part of a long weekend and people are away? Also, many Jewish members would not have attended because it was the first night of Passover, which starts early evening.

A week night before the ANZAC day holiday would probably have seen way more of our members turn up.

Maybe.

Facts are, we need more members, and more of them showing up at games to show we are serious.
The problem with that is the 2 crowds either side of our game. There was no real excuses for that crowd and more importantly the lack of saints supporters there especially as we won the week before.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
We will never get a blockbuster until we start getting better gate numbers. Even better TV numbers would be a step in the right direction. The Pies Blues Tigers and Dons are more or less irrelevant except they make loads of money for the league. We don't.

Our club is making the effort but either right now, there just aren't enough Saints fans or they are not as able to get to games as those of the Big Four.

It'll take a bit of sustained success for that to happen I think.

Your right except Norf vs Bulldogs.

Like how in the actual **** is that a thing

Your right except Norf vs Bulldogs.

Like how in the actual **** is that a thing

The Kangas had been making finals year after year and the Dogs just off a premiership. I think the AFL is so slow in their decision making that sides can rise and fall before they get on board. Remember Carlton getting prime time slots for a couple of years then struggling to not bring the game into disrepute through their shitness.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
All true, except Bulldogs coming off a premiership for crowds.

We played poorly, so did North until the final qtr.
This year they were appalling, but they now get it for two decades?

Why?

Why?

Apparently they were pitching this game for decades. It was their baby and it would be pretty cruel to screw them over it. I think they invented Thursday night footy too. They are pretty creative for a non-entity.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

Why?
Who said they get it for two decades. I also said how we played wasn’t as important as the crowd. It may have been the dons that’s got them the crowdbut we know it was us when there was no crowd. You can’t have a marquee game and then get 33k to it.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
The Kangas had been making finals year after year and the Dogs just off a premiership. I think the AFL is so slow in their decision making that sides can rise and fall before they get on board. Remember Carlton getting prime time slots for a couple of years then struggling to not bring the game into disrepute through their shitness.
Timing is important and tricky.

The AFL gauged our ramp up based on the road to 2018 that we'd been telegraphing for years. Reality is they gave us a crack at it and we totally stuffed it. Had we been in it this year we may have done a lot better. I think we would have beaten both teams last night.

Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Who said they get it for two decades. I also said how we played wasn’t as important as the crowd. It may have been the dons that’s got them the crowdbut we know it was us when there was no crowd. You can’t have a marquee game and then get 33k to it.

But we've got real supporters who are making a stand because they don't like the coach/president/board/captain/bootstudder. Once we appease them all we'll get 100k every week.
I do think, though, that we (and the Dogs for that matter) should have got more than one shot at making something of it before the AFL resorted to Essendon (or The Pies or Tigers) to guarantee a crowd.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
But we've got real supporters who are making a stand because they don't like the coach/president/board/captain/bootstudder. Once we appease them all we'll get 100k every week.
I do think, though, that we (and the Dogs for that matter) should have got more than one shot at making something of it before the AFL resorted to Essendon (or The Pies or Tigers) to guarantee a crowd.

Dogs certainly should have got another go with over 40K there. After our crowd and the way we played and where we finished Im unsure we deserved another go. Especially the crowd. I still cant work out why it was so bad. The worst part is we looked outnumbered 3 to one.

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
With not having a marquee game, would it be in our interest in the very near future to try & play a twilight home game against GWS at Manuka Oval on Reconciliation Day on the Monday 27th May or there abouts.
May help to showcase our current indigenous program & hopefully win over a few more supporters.
At this stage the crowds may not be great but if both teams can make a fist of it, then things may improve.
With it being a public holiday in the ACT, plus with television coverage we may just come out in front.

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Timing is important and tricky.

The AFL gauged our ramp up based on the road to 2018 that we'd been telegraphing for years. Reality is they gave us a crack at it and we totally stuffed it. Had we been in it this year we may have done a lot better. I think we would have beaten both teams last night.

Not concerned about it at all except annoyed to hear Essendon have not played at Geelong for decades.
Really happy with a lot of things off field , China works well purely for financial reasons , bayside business
opportunities really positive.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've been thinking about this for a little while, and I reckon we already have what could have already been a marquee game in the Blue Ribbon Cup. We just haven't sold it.

Apologies in advance - rant incoming...

This game is honour of Police who have been killed in the line of duty. Now, I am not comparing the sacrifice to those of the Anzacs due to the sheer volume of deaths through war, but their personal sacrifice is no less painful or heartbreaking for their family

Each of these police officers have left wives / husbands / children / friends / colleagues behind. Those left behind have to try to make sense of the fact their loved one has had their life taken - mostly for nothing more noble than the crook not wanting to face justice and cop a stint in the big house

But instead of pushing this and getting the game the prestige it dessrves, it is lucky to get a by line in the papers. There's little to no build up, and the stories of those lost aren't even a focus.

Again, not comparing Anzac Day to the Blue Ribbon Cup, but imagine how Collingwood and Essendon would be selling this.

This could be an event on the footy calendar if it was sold properly

Start with:

A set date / round each year. Police Remembrance Day is 29th September so that's no good but pick a date and stick with it so it can be planned for on an ongoing basis

Police band leading pre game tributes including the Policeman's Prayer. There are many versions out there but this is one that fits the theme

images.jpeg-16.jpg

A minute's silence for all who have given their lives protecting the community we all live in so that we can feel safe in our beds at night

Use it as a vehicle to support those left behind and police suffering mental health issues arising from the trauma they've seen.

Have stories of lives lost on the big screen in the warm up. Include interviews with colleagues and family on how the loss impacts them daily

Have serving members attend the club in the lead up to present to the club on what it's like to kiss your kids before they go to work knowing there is a chance they won't come home and how policing isn't all about free McDonalds

I'm sure there's a lot more that can be done too

Sorry for the rant, i just needed to get that off my chest!

tl / dr: we have a marquee game if we are willing to work on it

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
I've been thinking about this for a little while, and I reckon we already have what could have already been a marquee game in the Blue Ribbon Cup. We just haven't sold it.

Apologies in advance - rant incoming...

This game is honour of Police who have been killed in the line of duty. Now, I am not comparing the sacrifice to those of the Anzacs due to the sheer volume of deaths through war, but their personal sacrifice is no less painful or heartbreaking for their family

Each of these police officers have left wives / husbands / children / friends / colleagues behind. Those left behind have to try to make sense of the fact their loved one has had their life taken - mostly for nothing more noble than the crook not wanting to face justice and cop a stint in the big house

But instead of pushing this and getting the game the prestige it dessrves, it is lucky to get a by line in the papers. There's little to no build up, and the stories of those lost aren't even a focus.

Again, not comparing Anzac Day to the Blue Ribbon Cup, but imagine how Collingwood and Essendon would be selling this.

This could be an event on the footy calendar if it was sold properly

Start with:

A set date / round each year. Police Remembrance Day is 29th September so that's no good but pick a date and stick with it so it can be planned for on an ongoing basis

Police band leading pre game tributes including the Policeman's Prayer. There are many versions out there but this is one that fits the theme

View attachment 668961

A minute's silence for all who have given their lives protecting the community we all live in so that we can feel safe in our beds at night

Use it as a vehicle to support those left behind and police suffering mental health issues arising from the trauma they've seen.

Have stories of lives lost on the big screen in the warm up. Include interviews with colleagues and family on how the loss impacts them daily

Have serving members attend the club in the lead up to present to the club on what it's like to kiss your kids before they go to work knowing there is a chance they won't come home and how policing isn't all about free McDonalds

I'm sure there's a lot more that can be done too

Sorry for the rant, i just needed to get that off my chest!

tl / dr: we have a marquee game if we are willing to work on it
Like it Kegs! You may be onto something there!
We most certainly do need to get our hands on one of these " marquee games "......Reckon it played a big part on why we didn't cash in
On our last period of success! We never seem to get much in terms of glamour games whether by fixture or by game times!

Still cannot believe how between us and the AFL they mucked up Good Friday so badly!
Absolute No brainer that it should be annually marketed as the themed grudge match ........Saints vs Demons! and make it their own!

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
Aaaaaaaand with that the Hawks and pies join forces to host a marquee game in honour of emergency services personnel and to support their mental health.

Now let's see how they promote this one .......

Aaaaaaaand with that the Hawks and pies join forces to host a marquee game in honour of emergency services personnel and to support their mental health.

Now let's see how they promote this one .......
Pies don't have the greatest track record re: mental health, look at Fasolo, Marsh, etc.

Promote a mini premiership comp within the comp.
A mini black white and red comp where over three consecutive rounds Saints Swans Dons Pies play each other for a cup based on wins fore and against.
B/w v b/r v r/w v r/w/b
Not sure if my maths are right but you get it.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
There's a huge opening on the Friday night of indigenous round. Melbourne and Richmond were smart enough to get together and extend the Anzac day round by playing Anzac eve. We could find a big Melbourne club such as Pies or Hawks to open up the indigenous round with. Call it the reconsiliation game, pay homage to all our great indigenous stars. Play for the Winmar/Rioli cup or something similar.

There's a huge opening on the Friday night of indigenous round. Melbourne and Richmond were smart enough to get together and extend the Anzac day round by playing Anzac eve. We could find a big Melbourne club such as Pies or Hawks to open up the indigenous round with. Call it the reconsiliation game, pay homage to all our great indigenous stars. Play for the Winmar/Rioli cup or something similar.

brilliant idea! we could do it on reconciliation day, but that's a monday

Back