Roast Lack of marquee game

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a huge opening on the Friday night of indigenous round. Melbourne and Richmond were smart enough to get together and extend the Anzac day round by playing Anzac eve. We could find a big Melbourne club such as Pies or Hawks to open up the indigenous round with. Call it the reconsiliation game, pay homage to all our great indigenous stars. Play for the Winmar/Rioli cup or something similar.
Hawks would be unlikely because we already play the Blue Ribbon cup with them but maybe try with Carlton. Big supporter base and their only real marquee game is the opening of the season. They are struggling a bit but their supporters still turn up in numbers.

The thing is, a marquee game only becomes a marquee game on the convergence of three things: exclusivity, regularity, but also crowds. The AFL can organise for a game where two teams exclusively have access to that game every year, but if the two teams can't draw crowds, it's not going to be a marquee game. It's not their fault. It's ours. Pure and simple. I don't blame our supporters, but I can't blame the AFL either. I don't blame anybody. It just is what it is.

Calling north vs someone on Good Friday a blockbuster or marquee game is false .
It’s on a Friday yes but there is a game on the night before. The good fri round changes year to year and so many people are away anyway.
I would prefer something else - we just need the idea .
Anzac eve was Gold - I wish that was us .
We should at least try for Anzac 2020 night at Marvel

I was at that game and the North supporters outnumbered us 3 to 1. It was their home game though.

Easter is also the most popular time of the year for Melbournians to get out of town.

You never see traffic on the Hume, Calder or Princes Hwy like you do on Easter Monday at any other time.

Add to that the fact that a heap of people still believe that Good Friday isn’t a day to go to the footy. It’s actually the worst occasion to try & grow a blockbuster game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a stand alone mother's day clash. Make it the only game on the day and have it at the G

Tie in with the Mcgrath Foundation and raise money for breast care nurses.

We could swap our red panel with a pink one for the day and encourage everyone to wear pink like the Sydney test. Play another team who could wear pink shorts or change their colours slightly to incorporate pink

How about a stand alone mother's day clash. Make it the only game on the day and have it at the G

We could swap our red panel with a pink one for the day and encourage everyone to wear pink like the Sydney test. Play another team who could wear pink shorts or change their colours slightly to incorporate pink
How would the tv stations ever agree to that? And I think Mother’s Day crowds are usually very ordinary anyway.

Melbourne already do a breast cancer awareness game against Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back