Lack of Respect for the History of our Great Game by Interstate Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
What makes the history of the VFL so superior to that of the SANFL, WAFL, TFL or any other non Victorian league pre AFL?

The claim is a load of horse s**t

When did I say the VFL history is superior? Actually when did the op say as much?

I guess you've never read a post from a non vic supporter that disregards VFL history either.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Youre right on one point it is mostly Vic Clubs

But you are wrong on the fact 75% of australias population lives outside Victoria and the AFL want a big slice of that population for it to pay the hungry mouths it has

Umm you're not taking into account actual footy state populations, outnumber wa, sa, tas and nt combined by more than one million. The majority of the footy market IS in vic.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Not that it's too hard, it's just the bulk of the market for footy is in Vic hence the way it is. Got nothing to do with "too hard"

It’s always been the case.

Back in 1980 when we had genuine state leagues (five of them across three states, actually), the smallest VFL club (South) drew bigger average crowds than any WAFL or SANFL club.

In fact, the biggest VFA clubs were drawing more than some SANFL clubs.

It’s simply a matter of population. It’s nobody’s fault.

Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
If it wasn't for the so called interstate clubs , although you need to explain what constitutes an interstate club in a national comp , then there would be no st Kilda North Melbourne western bulldogs Melbourne and probably Richmond
You know it's true

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DaveEgoat

Senior List
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
To be fair, I should mention all the big name Victorian players who chased the big money and fame in S.A and W.A before the AFL expansion.

Ummm.......little help?

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
argument is void as the afl doesn't exist without the eagles

Haha....yeah right
C019AF3D-2E13-499A-B5DF-9A10476ECD58.jpeg

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
To be fair, I should mention all the big name Victorian players who chased the big money and fame in S.A and W.A before the AFL expansion.

Ummm.......little help?

Exactly..

You can crap on all day long until the sun goes down and rises again ...but the simple fact remains...no VFL gun player has ever...EVER...in the history of Australian Rules Football ..packed up his kit and moved to South Australia or WA and joined their league for greener pastures because they believed they were moving to a superior competition.

It never ceases to amaze me how non Victorian footy fans continued to deny how powerful and mighty this league is...

over 150 years old and still there’s debate lol

Get it through your thick head once and for all.

The Victorian Football league is the Rome of our game. The empire that rules supreme.

And the MCG is the Colosseum.

All else are regional outposts of mild interest.

When the moment of truth is on show ...the one game of the year that matters the most...It’s Melbourne that hosts it...and always will be so.

Richmond paddock. That’s where it all started.

It’s just the way it is. Accept it and live a happy life.

Thank you for reading.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
This is one of the better main board fishing attempts. Just enough arrogance to pass as one of the very few Victorian fans with limited understanding of history. Most Victorian supporters recognise the contribution interstate players made to the Victorian state competition prior to national expansion. For many of the interstate players it wasn’t about playing in the ‘premier’ competition in the 1970s - 1990s, it was about the money that was on offer.
From the club I support, I recognise the great work Craig Bradley, Greg Anderson, Mark Williams, Gavin Wanganeen and Martin Leslie did in the VFL to name but a few.
Through those players I was exposed to VFL greats like Dermott Bremerton, Gary Ablett Snr, Greg Williams and others.

Tell me what you think of Stephen Micheal?

ps. Matthews elbow to the head of Cable is a fair indication that Matthews knew Cable was the better player and had limited avenues to beat him...

The ‘money’ you mentioned is what it’s always been about. Way back to the early 1900s.

The supreme competition ...the elite comp...always dictates where the most talented players in the country go towards where the big money is for their talents.

And that destination has always been Melbourne.

Everything else is but a sideshow.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Ironically the modern game is being destroyed by the vAFL administration partly as it also has the same ignorance about interstaters as the OP. Austraia is a big place and 99% of it exists outside the Melbourne CBD.

Not in footy terms it isn’t.

95% of activities going on in the elite league of our game happens in Melbourne.

It’s just a plain, simple fact.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
re: VFL saved us all vs we all saved the VFL argument.
Oh boy, where to start. Ok, number one, try to be objective as possible, two, realise people can read the same source material and come up with different conclusions.

Something that needs to be recognised, as it was back at the very dawn of people thinking of a national comp, Aussie Rules needed more money to operate and therefore needed to go professional, that was the case for all the big leagues back then.
I'm unsure about the state of the SANFL at the time, but the VFL and the WAFL would not have survived in the same form as they were. Something else would have sprung up in their places, no idea what tbh.
I know that the SANFL were coming up with things like player retention packages/schemes etc and were resistant to joining the VFL....until Port came along and threw the cat among the pigeons....rightly or wrongly, lets not get into that here.

As far as I know, the WAFL was in dire straights, crowd numbers were going down, players were being drained from the system to the VFL, who had clubs doing this that couldn't afford it, worse was the fact that clubs in the WAFL were relying on this as a source of income. Hence the VFL having some kind of collapse would have a knock on effect to the WAFL.
So it's a case of a large chunk of the VFL bankrupting itself to keep up and threatening to stuff up both competitions financially.

Throw into this John 'Pigs arse!' Elliot sniffing around certain clubs (Claremont being one) about starting a new national comp, possibly a proto super league situation.
Also, the VFL refusing to come to the party in setting up any kind of NFL, or keeping it running/relevant. Can't argue with population and market share unfortunately.

This is a very rough look at the situation as it was at the dawn of the AFL becoming a thing.

Claiming it was all one way or the other is basically a nonesense.

Everything you have written here is a giant, steaming pile of dog turd rubbish.

You’re an absolute disgrace to the heritage of our great game.

Take a good ...hard ...look at yourself son for gods sake

Spuddigger

Senior List
Oct 19, 2018
Australind WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur.
Most
I think this is the reason they don't appreciate the Grand Final being at the MCG too! Disrespectful!
[/QUOTE Most West Aussies disagree with your statement. We believe there is only one place for the GF and that is at the G. The Dockers and Eagles training grounds along with Optus are the same configurations as the MCG. Stop believing what the press are saying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back