Lack of Respect for the History of our Great Game by Interstate Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

... there’s no way the VFL would have needed a $4 million up front licensing fee to be paid immediately if the league wasn’t in dire circumstances.

Yes the Eagles were created to save footy in WA, however their joining the VFL saved many clubs in Victoria from collapsing and Victorian footy from imploding.
And which benefit do you think western Australians wanted? I’m willing to bet was the former, while the latter was a nice but unintended coincidence for Victoria.

Other way around buddy.
Er if you want to know, the VFL was on the brink of bankruptcy. They needed the WAFL to have a team in at the price of $7 million, to pull it out of the crap. In the early eighties East Perth wanted to put a stand alone side in the VFL But was knocked back by all WAFL clubs.

There seems to be an absolute lack of respect for the history of our great game by some Interstate clubs supporters simply because their clubs were not present.

Should Carlton forget about champions such as Nicholls and Jesaulenko because they only played in 12 team competitions?

Should the legends of the Colliers and Coventry’s be wiped from the record books because they played iagaindt ‘suburban’ teams’ ?

Should the Coleman medal be renamed the ‘Kennedy Medal’ because the great man played in a time of ‘amateur’ footballers and should Reynolds exploits be ignored?

Perhaps Bunton and Murray should be thrown on the scrap heap.

Maybe the immortal that is EJ Whitten should be relegated to suburban footballer and forget about Charlie Sutton.

Farmer and Goggin should be removed because they were not part of the AFL. Even Ablett’s 9 goal GF heroics would be wiped.

Matthews the greatest of them all would not be considered with the modern greats because he played in pre AFL

Barrassi and the immortal Demons teams of the 50s and 60s should not be celebrated due to the the fact they didn’t play in the expansion. The Norm Smith medal should be renamed

Grieg and Dempsey only played part time and could not possibly rank with the greats of today

Forget the Jack Dyer medal, Tigers fans should ignore his legend and rename it the Dusty medal. As for Hart and Bartlett they would not rate.

Pratt’s 150 and Nash’s heroics do not count

Baldock and Stewart ??? Who ???

And well we are at let’s rename ‘Up there Cazaly’ - Up there Modra
and the Jock McHale medal the ‘Simpson Medal’. No matter what era, no matter how long ago, a champion of the game is a champion of the game. They were the best on a level playing field against their peers. A Premiership whether Essendon in 1897 or West Coasts in 2018 was just as important. The history of our great game has been carved and written and for those who don’t like it the answer is simple. Stop whinging about our past and go and make your own history.
So you have no issue with VFA flags being counted then good to know

Len Fitgerald crossed from Collingwood to Sturt , pretty handy player.

Superb example you have raised.

A bog ordinary VFL half forward with 49 goals in 6 seasons, more than 1/2 of them in one good but not great year; moves to SA and immediately becomes the best player in the league and daylight second.

Hmmm. What does this really tell us?

Actually I think you do

Non Victorian supporters need to acknowledge that Victorian football is and always has been the dominate force in the sport.

Arguing otherwise shows that your living in a fantasy land of fairies, elves and complete denial

How would you explain then if you did a survey in Perth in 1980 who they follow in football a Victorian club would not be mentioned, the WAFL clubs were kings in WA, Subiaco oval was the home of Football and the VFL had as much interest from West Australians as a junior hockey club.
No doubt as more players went East the VFL grew in importance to West Aussies, no doubt also the VFL was the strongest of the 3 big football leagues in Australia.
Money took over, the VFL spent it even though they didn’t have it and players flocked their to grab it. Make no mistake though they would not of gone if they were not getting more than they got here.

Isn’t it funny how so many State of origin fixtures during the 80’s and early 90’s were played in SA and WA.

That’s because playing Victoria at the MCG was a guarantee of utter anilihation

Yet those games at Subiaco and Football Park we’re always thrillers. We basically conceded home ground advantage year after year to make everyone else look good

Feel to free to disagree. But do your research first. You know I’m right
Nah mate - those sa and wa soo teams would have beaten anyone anywhere

And subiaco and football park on soo day were neutral venues

#justviclogic

You seem to be unaware that many in Victorian football WANTED the weak sister Clubs to go under.

And - here's a list of the football Clubs which would have gone bust first:

Perth
West Perth
East Fremantle
Subiaco
Claremont
South Fremantle
South Fremantle
Swan Districts

I’m sure you have stats/info that backs this up because frankly I call bullshit.

Yes, WA footy was struggling but they had just received a $2 million bail out from the state government and the WAFC had been formed to investigate ways of keeping WA footy financially stable and avoid further bailouts.

In nothing that I’ve ever read has it ever been stated that all those clubs you’ve named would instantly collapse had the Eagles not joined the VFL.

If you weren't alive to see it, its basically meaningless.

Clubs that endlessly crap on about how great the 1950s were obviously don't have a lot going on right now.
I’m with you. Don’t understand why we celebrate ANZAC Day. What did the ANZACs do for ME?

Interstate clubs are like that weird friend you invite to a party who gets there late. Everyone else is already happy and drunk and they just complain and are generally unhappy with the circumstances.
But why is the party at yours? We should move the entire party to theirs. You’re just selfish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My only qualm with a lot of opposition to respecting the VFL/AFL history is why are you so against it?

The Adelaide Crows, Brisbane Lions, Fremantle Dockers, GWS Giants, Gold Coast Suns, Port Adelaide Power, Sydney Swans and WCE didn’t exist in the WAFL or SANFL for you to be so defensive and against VFL/AFL history.

A bog ordinary VFL half forward with 49 goals in 6 seasons, more than 1/2 of them in one good but not great year; moves to SA and immediately becomes the best player in the league and daylight second.

Bog ordinary?

All Australian, 22 state games (2 for Victoria), Australian Hall of Fame
Debut at 15 for Collingwood, 96 games (26 brownlow votes) - mostly in defense - over 5 years and moved in his prime to Sturt.

Bog ordinary?

My only qualm with a lot of opposition to respecting the VFL/AFL history is why are you so against it?

The Adelaide Crows, Brisbane Lions, Fremantle Dockers, GWS Giants, Gold Coast Suns, Port Adelaide Power, Sydney Swans and WCE didn’t exist in the WAFL or SANFL for you to be so defensive and against VFL/AFL history.

The thing is I don’t think that’s the case at all, I love and respect all footy history. It is Victorians that don’t acknowledge footy history outside their state. They don’t acknowledge that the WAFL and SANFL were both 1st tier leagues once, they don’t recognise the records and achievements in those leagues. I find that very strange for such a sport loving state as Victoria.

You are aware he represented Victoria when he was still a teenager

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

No one has any qualms with the VFL. None!

The problem is that seldom is there any acknowledgement given to the great clubs and players outside Victorian football history in a supposedly national league. Nor is there any appreciation that once premier football leagues in other states have been relegated to second tier status for the glorification of this supposedly national game.

You see the AFL wants to eat its cake and have it too. They’re happy to take the substantial rewards that come from a national competition, filling their coffers from cash cows such as WC and Fremantle, but pay little more than lip service to the league and history that birthed these cash cows. There is this view that clubs not born in Victoria are little more than interlopers in their competition yet rely heavily on the receipts they bring in to keep lesser clubs afloat and try to move the game into other markets deemed profitable.

Foresight and Elliott shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence unless it's preceded by " lack of "

The facts suggest you are very late to the party that was the VFL. Perhaps you'd be happier if I credited his co conspirator Dick Seddon - lets not send the thread off on a tangent, but I cant let such an ignorant post go unchalleged
For your own edification here is a start:
The John Elliot model
the "clandestine" meeting former Carlton president John Elliott held in Mt Macedon in September, 1984 in a bid to establish a breakaway Super League.

It was the emergence of an era of what former commissioner Dick Seddon said were presidents with "business backgrounds and who resented what they perceived to be the 'Big Brother' approach by the VFL to the conduct of the league". And Elliott, then a bustling business and political figure, was at the height of his powers.

"He was planning a breakaway league of 10 clubs that would include the five most powerful Victorian clubs - Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Geelong and, of course, his beloved Carlton - and would introduce non-Victorian teams (two from NSW, two from SA) with the potential of abandoning a parade of underperforming Victorian clubs," Oakley said.

"The Elliott plan was grand: a mix of purging and restructuring, all leading towards a new national competition. It was economic rationalism at its finest.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...d-have-merged-ross-oakley-20140704-zsx8k.html

The facts suggest you are very late to the party that was the VFL. Perhaps you'd be happier if I credited his co conspirator Dick Seddon - lets not send the thread off on a tangent, but I cant let such an ignorant post go unchalleged
For your own edification here is a start:
The John Elliot model
the "clandestine" meeting former Carlton president John Elliott held in Mt Macedon in September, 1984 in a bid to establish a breakaway Super League.

It was the emergence of an era of what former commissioner Dick Seddon said were presidents with "business backgrounds and who resented what they perceived to be the 'Big Brother' approach by the VFL to the conduct of the league". And Elliott, then a bustling business and political figure, was at the height of his powers.

"He was planning a breakaway league of 10 clubs that would include the five most powerful Victorian clubs - Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Geelong and, of course, his beloved Carlton - and would introduce non-Victorian teams (two from NSW, two from SA) with the potential of abandoning a parade of underperforming Victorian clubs," Oakley said.

"The Elliott plan was grand: a mix of purging and restructuring, all leading towards a new national competition. It was economic rationalism at its finest.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...d-have-merged-ross-oakley-20140704-zsx8k.html
Yeah that's right
It was all Elliott and Vic
Sanfl and wafl had nothing to do with said plan which is common knowledge in SA
myopia is what we are talking about after all

It is Victorians that don’t acknowledge footy history outside their state. They don’t acknowledge that the WAFL and SANFL were both 1st tier leagues once, they don’t recognise the records and achievements in those leagues.

Can you link proof of all Victorians disrespecting leagues outside of the VFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back