Lack of Respect for the History of our Great Game by Interstate Clubs

Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, GSW Bandwagoner
That’s because playing Victoria at the MCG was a guarantee of utter anilihation

Yet those games at Subiaco and Football Park we’re always thrillers. We basically conceded home ground advantage year after year to make everyone else look good

Feel to free to disagree. But do your research first. You know I’m right
And we now play the Grand Final at the MCG every year to make the Vics look good hey ;)

yeah what the hell are you actually whining about? i don't give a s**t about your clubs history and you don't give a s**t about my clubs history and that will never change. nobody cares about your 1950s flag except your fans and nobody cares about ours apart from our fans. who cares?

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
You don't know who you're talking too...we can debate this all day. The fact is the VFL was the premier competition in Australia and the AFL is based here in Victoria and Victoria is the birthplace of Australian rules football. In 25 state carnivals played between 1908 - 1988 Victoria won 20 WA 3 and SA just 2. Now, i am happy there is a national competition, i wish we had three teams in WA and SA, but no point trying to re-write history. The Swan Districts and Perth teams of the 60's would've been struggling to win a couple of games in the VFL in each of their premier years! Same goes for the 80's. Sturt in SA in the 60's would've struggled to beat Fitzroy! Port the same in the late 80's and 90's. I'm very happy for both WA and SA to celebrate their long history of playing the game and acknowledging all the great players who wisely made the move to Vicroia in order to challenge themsleves and improve their playing careers.against the very best. They all knew you had to play in the best competition to prove you were the best...Now we have this wonderful national competition where players from all over the country can play in all states...We should have 20 teams, sacrifice one Vic team and add one more each from WA and SA plus Tassie. Have a 19 round round fixture and a final 10...

Of the 3 big leagues no one has ever argued that the VFL was the strongest of those 3 leagues, population took care of that. But by the margins you are talking about you are not even close.
The WAFL and SANFL top 2-3 sides in any season would of been top 5 in the VFL and the bottom sides in the VFL would not of made finals in the WAFL or SANFL.
The players went to the VFL for money more than anything else, name me a player that left the WAFL or SANFL to play in the VFL for the same or less money?
I have no idea what you do for a living but if I asked you to come to Perth for the same you are on you would say no, now if I asked you to come to Perth for double what your on you would be here in a heartbeat.

The VFL was the strongest of the 3 big leagues, they were paying out big money so they became even stronger. But make no mistake they were all 1st tier football leagues. In 1975 North won the VFL, Norwood won the SANFL and West Perth won the WAFL, all 3 clubs celebrated winning the ultimate prize in football which was winning their state league football comp. All 3 games were played on the same day, all 3 games were played to full houses. And not a soul at any of those games would of given a crap who was even playing in the other two leagues grand finals.
Thats just the way it was.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
yeah what the hell are you actually whining about? i don't give a s**t about your clubs history and you don't give a s**t about my clubs history and that will never change. nobody cares about your 1950s flag except your fans and nobody cares about ours apart from our fans. who cares?

Jamming wit my friend.?.no not really

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
You don't know who you're talking too...we can debate this all day. The fact is the VFL was the premier competition in Australia and the AFL is based here in Victoria and Victoria is the birthplace of Australian rules football. In 25 state carnivals played between 1908 - 1988 Victoria won 20 WA 3 and SA just 2. Now, i am happy there is a national competition, i wish we had three teams in WA and SA, but no point trying to re-write history. The Swan Districts and Perth teams of the 60's would've been struggling to win a couple of games in the VFL in each of their premier years! Same goes for the 80's. Sturt in SA in the 60's would've struggled to beat Fitzroy! Port the same in the late 80's and 90's. I'm very happy for both WA and SA to celebrate their long history of playing the game and acknowledging all the great players who wisely made the move to Vicroia in order to challenge themsleves and improve their playing careers.against the very best. They all knew you had to play in the best competition to prove you were the best...Now we have this wonderful national competition where players from all over the country can play in all states...We should have 20 teams, sacrifice one Vic team and add one more each from WA and SA plus Tassie. Have a 19 round round fixture and a final 10...
My point isn’t at a WAFL was equal to VFL.

My point is that if you combined South, North and East Fremantle (Imperials) together, they would have won flags in the VFL between 1900-1950.

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
Sturt in SA in the 60's would've struggled to beat Fitzroy!
Get real. Sturt in the '60's won 5 in a row in a way which made the opposition look like they were Auskids, and thru the great Jack Oatey invented the check-side punt (banana ball) and handball as an offensive weapon.

They slaughtered every Vic team which took them on in that period.

PS And if you weren't around then, don't bother replying as you would not have a clue.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here's the problem. No existing side from any competition joined the VFL after 1925 except Port Adelaide.

The expansion sides were all newly created identities specifically for the purpose of playing in the VFL - Bears, Eagles and Crows. The Crows were only created to head off the Port bid to join the VFL (an act which was seen as traitorous by the rest of the SANFL). Since then, the other new clubs - Freo, GWS, Suns - again, newly created entities specifically for the AFL.

The interstate sides (Port excepted) have no history prior to their entry into the AFL - so they and their supporters don't care about it. That's OK - their teams weren't involved then. Actually, their team did not exist back then). The supporter's interest in football history prior to their entry into the VFL/AFL is limited to their local teams and competitions.

Port is a great club - you either love 'em or hate 'em (and most do hate 'em - which is fine). They have a great history. Most of that great history is not in the VFL or AFL, but that doesn't matter. They look after it. Similarly, I don't worry that interstate club supporters don't care about the history of the VFL/AFL prior to their entry into the AFL - they weren't a part of it. Those of us who support the old VFL/AFL teams do care, and we look after it.
That’s fine but don’t include VFL flags in the AFL.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Very happy to support a ridiculously successful Vic team. Very happy with the non vics coming in and making it a truly national comp. Not sure what all the sooking is about.

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
This will end well.

Maybe the AFL, as guardians and keepers of the game, should make a better fist of recognising interstate achievements.
what achievements?

also
the afl would've introduced a tassie team if they themselves gave a crap about tradition

Back