Review Lackluster Dogs Lose To The Suns, Rd 3, 2019

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Just have this good feeling about Boyd returning. He's been pretty ordinary when last playing, but I think he also cops a lot of undue criticism because of his massive contract. Not to mention people are down on him because he's not producing results, but I wonder how much that has to do with him just not playing in the first place. Between his mental health and back issues, he's barely played half the available games since the GF so of course he won't be putting up many results. He's 23 now - should have the strength to start standing up to the bigger rucks and actually be able to take a mark. A firing Boyd would make us a whole new team

Boyd just gives the opposition an extra headache. Throw him forward and they've got Schache and Boyd to deal with, in the ruck English and Boyd. Just gives us options.

Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
West Ham
Boyd just gives the opposition an extra headache. Throw him forward and they've got Schache and Boyd to deal with, in the ruck English and Boyd. Just gives us options.
Really looking forward to getting Boyd back, for some reason I thought it was a lot further away. Hopefully he kills it in the 2's and can give English some relief before too long

Johnny_Dogg4

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
3 games in a row where we cant stop momentum and its should have cost us vs syd, hawks and it did yesterday. its a real concern its still happening. the coach still cant sort it out. too many games last year we played well only to be let down by a period and it cost us the game.

Hate to say it but Richards needs to come out for Lipinski. When Lip is dominating the VFL like that, it can't do much for his confidence if we don't reward the good form, as there's really not much more he can do to prove himself. Not to mention we have been carrying a few passengers this year.

Have to say though, I'm really not a fan of Richards on half forward or wing. Him and JJ belong on our half back flanks, and play their best footy behind the ball where their rebounding ability can be put to full use.
I liked Richards on the wing last year, he hasn't gotten near it this year.
Lippi is slow and didn't perform during JLT but he does have genuine goal sense so can rest forward. The more genuine goalkickers in our side the better as far as I'm concerned. When your KPFs are 19 & 21 they are bound to have down weeks although Naughton will compete 100% of the time going by last year and this year.

The club rate Bailey Dale very highly so will be interesting to see how the MC see our forward-line when he's back from injury and fully match fit.

Jun 5, 2013
The Stoop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MCFC, Lakers, Phillies, NY Rangers
Lippi is slow and didn't perform during JLT but he does have genuine goal sense so can rest forward. The more genuine goalkickers in our side the better as far as I'm concerned. When your KPFs are 19 & 21 they are bound to have down weeks although Naughton will compete 100% of the time going by last year and this year.

The club rate Bailey Dale very highly so will be interesting to see how the MC see our forward-line when he's back from injury and fully match fit.
How far away is Bailey Dale?

How far away is Bailey Dale?
First game back this week at VFL level - kicked a goal. Not sure if he's on limited or full game time, our VFL reports don't give much detail. I normally rely on 1-2 posters on another site giving in game updates, they're normally spot on.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Name five blokes who can hold their heads high after that mess?
I can think of three, Daniel, Smith and Libba. That’s it.

Naughton, Suckling and maybe Duryea, but I get your point. I was aghast at how poorly Bont played - I know he'll have poor games every now and again but he killed momentum almost every time he got the ball. I couldn't believe it was him out there. Also, I'm not sure how badly a captain has to play before he gets dropped but Wood is testing that to the limit. Wallis shouldn't be rotated through the midfield at critical times, and Dickson had a shocker. That's the core of our senior players and not one had a passable game.

If we had won that it obviously we accept it but it would have papered over cracks.

I know we need to let young players develop and not be too trigger happy, but English is absolutely killing us in the ruck and around the ground. I'm a big fan of Richards but he was anonymous again. It's not being draconian to give them some time in the 2s just to get some confidence back and ensure the 1s have a better chance to win what was eminently a winnable game. Gold Coast are not good, I'd be surprised if they win many more games than the two they already have and those four points should have been a gimme.

Finally, I'm not sure what can be done to fix goalkicking but we've had years of this and it's draining the life out of me. I don't know about anyone else, but I knew Bont would miss his critical set shot in the 4th, I knew Gowers would miss the shot in the dying seconds, and even Dickson and Lloyd were at it yesterday. I don't think Bevo was out coached yesterday - his players just let him down - but it's insanity to not try something different to try and fix their execution issues in front of goal. Maybe they've tried everything and nothing is working, but it would be good to go to the footy for once and have some confidence that at least the simplest of set shots would be converted.

Finally, I'm not sure what can be done to fix goalkicking but we've had years of this and it's draining the life out of me. I don't know about anyone else, but I knew Bont would miss his critical set shot in the 4th, I knew Gowers would miss the shot in the dying seconds, and even Dickson and Lloyd were at it yesterday. I don't think Bevo was out coached yesterday - his players just let him down - but it's insanity to not try something different to try and fix their execution issues in front of goal. Maybe they've tried everything and nothing is working, but it would be good to go to the footy for once and have some confidence that at least the simplest of set shots would be converted.
We won the clearance count and the inside 50 count - our disposal meant our entries weren't as clean as GCS and we had a case of the fumbles in the F50. We simply didn't take our chances and Gold Coast did.
I suspect we try a few options forward as the year wears on - Bailey Dale and Ben Caverra when match fit will push for selection, surely. The 2017 version of Dale will help us (the 2018 version not so much).

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well done to mods finally cracking down on the crapslingers. Much appreciated and made this thread borderline readable.

1 - we are still playing too many one paced poor kickers together. we know who they are - Wallis, Hunter and Dunkley. Time to start rotating them.

2 - Dickson is struggling to kick it over a jam tin and without his superb conversion he is a one paced non agile plodder who offers SFA fwd pressure.Problem compounds with the slowish Lloyd we need to add a quick skilled fwd quickly. Cavarra get fit. Prefer Fergus to what Dicko offers.

3 - Bont's set shot kicking has shifted from s**t to disgraceful. Is it technical or mental or both? FFS just fix it. Too talented to deliver what he has over.such a long period.

4 - Richards and English are being gifted games. They need to reward that faith or take some time out in the twos.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well done to mods finally cracking down on the crapslingers. Much appreciated and made this thread borderline readable.

1 - we are still playing too many one paced poor kickers together. we know who they are - Wallis, Hunter and Dunkley. Time to start rotating them.

2 - Dickson is struggling to kick it over a jam tin and without his superb conversion he is a one paced non agile plodder who offers SFA fwd pressure.Problem compounds with the slowish Lloyd we need to add a quick skilled fwd quickly. Cavarra get fit. Prefer Fergus to what Dicko offers.

3 - Bont's set shot kicking has shifted from s**t to disgraceful. Is it technical or mental or both? FFS just fix it. Too talented to deliver what he has over.such a long period.

4 - Richards and English are being gifted games. They need to reward that faith or take some time out in the twos.

1 - Wallis plays his best footy up forward, and Dunkley plays his best in the midfield. No idea why we continue to persist with the opposite set up.

2 - Dickson's first half was probably the worst half of footy I have EVER seen him play. Absolute liability. Turned it on a bit in the second half, but overall had a terrible game, which was really disappointing considering last week he looked back at his absolute best. Hopefully was just a bad patch for him and isn't indicative of his form going forward. Otherwise, Lipinski or Greene needs to come in for him.

3 - This is the one major issue with Bont up forward. He is brilliant on the run, but can't nail a set shot to save his life. At the very least, he shouldn't be playing deep forward.

4 - Richards is experiencing second-year blues hard. That's 3 straight crap games, usually this is where you lose your spot and regain form through the VFL. Lipinski deserves a run, although that does mean losing speed which may not be the best move unless JJ also comes in for someone else (Suckling with broken nose, Dickson with poor form)

Also want to add that a lot of people are calling for Gowers to be dropped which just astounds me. I think this is a knee-jerk reaction to that late miss at goal (he hits that and we sneak through a draw). He may not have been as good as last week, but he was still the only forward other than Naughton (and I guess McLean) who seemed switched on at any point in the game. Still giving some decent leads, and managed 1.2 (which could have easily been 3.0 if he kicked straight). Gowers deserves another week or two of s**t games before we consider dropping him imo

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

He's playing on the wrong wing in my view. Rather than force him over to the other side the selectors may have consider that only 4 (max) of Crozier, Duyrea, Suckers, Hunter and Richards can play and they should leave the right wing to a right footer (Dale, Smith, Lippi, JJ or Jong).
Personally I'd like to see Richards off the lhb and JJ go the rhb.

Agree with you on the crackdown by mods. Just enough to make people wary about making direct attacks on others. It's OK to criticise or disagree with opinions expressed but shouldn't be an attack on the person.
I also get sick of the stuff that starts with "anyone who thinks < x > knows nothing about football" and escalates on both sides from there. The subtext is "I'm not going to argue my case with facts and logic". The prosecution is simply "if you disagree with me you know nothing". It drags down the standard of discussion because it tries to pre-empt rational discussion.

2. Re Dickson. I was only watching on a small screen but I thought his goal in the second or third qtr went through about half goal post height from about 40m out. He also kicked a behind from a similar distance IIRC. His distance might have shortened a few metres but it's not as dire as many are suggesting. I'd still happily have the ball in his hands for a set shot 40m out ahead of nearly anyone else ... except perhaps Schache or Naughton.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree with you on the crackdown by mods. Just enough to make people wary about making direct attacks on others. It's OK to criticise or disagree with opinions expressed but shouldn't be an attack on the person.
I also get sick of the stuff that starts with "anyone who thinks < x > knows nothing about football" and escalates on both sides from there. The subtext is "I'm not going to argue my case with facts and logic". The prosecution is simply "if you disagree with me you know nothing". It drags down the standard of discussion because it tries to pre-empt rational discussion.

2. Re Dickson. I was only watching on a small screen but I thought his goal in the second or third qtr went through about half goal post height from about 40m out. He also kicked a behind from a similar distance IIRC. His distance might have shortened a few metres but it's not as dire as many are suggesting. I'd still happily have the ball in his hands for a set shot 40m out ahead of nearly anyone else ... except perhaps Schache or Naughton.
Anyone who thinks you can make a rational appeal to the better nature of posters and make a positive difference knows nothing about internet forums;):)

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Yep couldn't agree more on point 1.

To clarify re Dickson. He has lost distance and in straining to make 40m he is losing accuracy. Just not a fan of him without accuracy. Has ofered little else but finishing Imo and if that is diminished his spot is in question IMO. His injury history alone says he shouldn't play next game IMO.

IMO there's more to it. I wouldnt be surprised to hear that hip of his is causing him some major problems with his kicking

Anyone who thinks you can make a rational appeal to the better nature of posters and make a positive difference knows nothing about internet forums;):)
LOL. Can I like this twice?
Could be close to the truth!

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Anyone for Dunkley to the backline? Could he play the Dale Morris role?

Dunkley is strong one on one and a good mark and super desperate, I'm starting to think he could play a role down there. Yes he can't kick, yet like Morris, he just needs to handball or take the safe option. I think he could take a few intercept marks, an area we are well down on. Its worth a shot.

On Bonti kickings they always miss to the left, every time. He thinks he is a straight kick ,yet like Buddy, he is a left footer with late drift to the left. Basically should be aiming right goal post, especially for the longer shots from goal, were the late drift comes into effect.

Gee its obvious we need two Naughton's already, a few easy goals on the break for GC yesterday. Not sure Young is the answer.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone for Dunkley to the backline? Could he play the Dale Morris role?

Dunkley is strong one on one and a good mark and super desperate, I'm starting to think he could play a role down there. Yes he can't kick, yet like Morris, he just needs to handball or take the safe option. I think he could take a few intercept marks, an area we are well down on. Its worth a shot.

On Bonti kickings they always miss to the left, every time. He thinks he is a straight kick ,yet like Buddy, he is a left footer with late drift to the left. Basically should be aiming right goal post, especially for the longer shots from goal, were the late drift comes into effect.

Gee its obvious we need two Naughton's already, a few easy goals on the break for GC yesterday. Not sure Young is the answer.
If our season derails to 2018 levels, I'm all for testing stuff like this out. Roarke Smith just played forward in the VFL for the first time ever and kicked 4 goals. Try him out as a small forward too.

Unless we get to the bye with a horrific W/L though, I'd rather not do anything crazy just yet. We're not even running Dunkley in the midfield much despite how good he was there last year. This insistence to keep him forward just boggles the mind

Thanks for the reply, We haven’t had the AFL help to date and are making our own way, just as the Dogs have had too. We are finally getting our s**t together and the Vic media have been selling us as a s**t sandwich so I can understand the angst on this board at the loss but we are building. Too many Vic media have been selling you all a BS story as they are too lazy to come and have a look at the work the club have put in

Hope you’re right Mate. Have no issue with GCS. Never understood why it was so hard to get sporting clubs to work up there...it’s an awesome place.

If you do manage to succeed without undue AFL influence then it will be a massive effort and there will be lots of eyes turned to the likes of Melbourne and Carlton who despite assists/outright cheating can’t seem to get better (although Melb will still finish top 8..they are way better than they are playing).

If GCS does start getting undue assistance it will rarely be the Hawks, Cats, Pies, Tigers etc that feel the negative effects. Hence my concern that it doesn’t happen as it has directly affected us in the past.

If our season derails to 2018 levels, I'm all for testing stuff like this out. Roarke Smith just played forward in the VFL for the first time ever and kicked 4 goals. Try him out as a small forward too.
Could be an interesting experiment - defensive forward?
If we managed to stop Harbrow running the ball out yesterday, we win.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
IMO there's more to it. I wouldnt be surprised to hear that hip of his is causing him some major problems with his kicking

Could be right aligns time wise. But he is more than dedicated and good enough to have adjusted. But this season is worse. Hard to fathom.

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just a comment for those saying it is a good sign that we played badly and only lost by 5 points.

If we played badly against Geelong and lost by only 5 points it is a good sign.

If we played badly against West Coast and lost by only 5 points it is a good sign.

If we played badly against GCS and lost by only 5 points it is not a good sign.

One of those things is not the same as the other two.

Back