Review Lackluster Dogs Lose To The Suns, Rd 3, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah except now we know we should be 3-0. We should be better than GCS, especially at home.
Young sides are going to drop games, it's just what happens. Did feel that we should of been good enough to win but credit to Suns they did it better for longer than us

I said at the end of last year, Bontempelli needs to find the ball more, and be more consistent to truly be considered a star in the mould of the leagues top 10 players. For all his match winning performances he has had some not so impactful games in between. Finding 20 possessions a week, whilst the best in the league are regularly finding the ball over 30 times a game. I know we always say a 20 possession game from Bontempelli is probably more damaging than a 35 possession leather addict who over handballs, who seldom steps up in match winning ways when the team needs someone to, you now the types most think are better players than the Bont. But its still good to see him getting more involved with the football and been consistent in his three games so far, if he keeps this up, he will be in the discussion for the Brownlow.

I said at the end of last year, Bontempelli needs to find the ball more, and be more consistent to truly be considered a star in the mould of the leagues top 10 players. For all his match winning performances he has had some not so impactful games in between. Finding 20 possessions a week, whilst the best in the league are regularly finding the ball over 30 times a game. I know we always say a 20 possession game from Bontempelli is probably more damaging than a 35 possession leather addict who over handballs, who seldom steps up in match winning ways when the team needs someone to, you now the types most think are better players than the Bont. But its still good to see him getting more involved with the football and been consistent in his three games so far, if he keeps this up, he will be in the discussion for the Brownlow.
No doubt his ball winning form coincides with not spending 40% of a match wasting away in the forward line. Due to Naughty Schache and Gowers playing like they are.

No doubt his ball winning form coincides with not spending 40% of a match wasting away in the forward line. Due to Naughty Schache and Gowers playing like they are.
Maybe this year he is more physically able to play more in the midfield, unlike the past few seasons. These days players
condition seems to vary a lot as the incidence of bad corks and the like has increased.

Maybe this year he is more physically able to play more in the midfield, unlike the past few seasons. These days players
condition seems to vary a lot as the incidence of bad corks and the like has increased.
Yeah absolutely, he looks more mobile to my eye. Hes still not quick by any means but he doesnt really look like hes lumbering as much

No doubt Schache was pretty poor, especially in the contest but **** hes a 21yo KPF cant expect him to bring it every week. I can remember 3 occassions (and im sure there was more) where he'd got himself free on a perfect lead and was either burnt or the kick went no where near him. If he ended up with 3 goals or so which he would have, his game wouldnt be criticized anywhere near as much.

Sadly with the skills of a number of our players, if we never make any changes this will continue to happen every week.For mine Schache stays in but we do need to give opportunity to the more skillful guys outside the 22 currently. (I don't know who they are though!)

If our season derails to 2018 levels, I'm all for testing stuff like this out. Roarke Smith just played forward in the VFL for the first time ever and kicked 4 goals. Try him out as a small forward too.

Unless we get to the bye with a horrific W/L though, I'd rather not do anything crazy just yet. We're not even running Dunkley in the midfield much despite how good he was there last year. This insistence to keep him forward just boggles the mind
With the precious little forward pressure that we exhibit regularly, I would like to see Roarke tried as a small pressure forward who can take a grab.
If he could get dangerous would help with dividing oppo defenders, and we may see some cleaner entries

With the precious little forward pressure that we exhibit regularly, I would like to see Roarke tried as a small pressure forward who can take a grab.
If he could get dangerous would help with dividing oppo defenders, and we may see some cleaner entries
I know it might be jumping ahead a bit, but I feel like testing him out as a small pressure forward as you said is probably the only hope for him to continue his career. Very little chance he gets a spot on the half back flank when the likes of Duryea, Suckling, JJ, Richards, Lynch, etc are fit. Not to mention he really does look to have the skillset of a pressure forward. I'd really like to see him trialed as a forward for the next month in the VFL, and if he can prove himself then he gets a run in the seniors

Well, the coaches said Bont was BOG too - 10 votes.

That’s mind boggling imo, if you kick 0.3 including a miss straight in front when your team needs you to stand up - and you don’t really have a great game otherwise - then how can you get BOG?

A few suns players stiff, and probably even a few of ours. Shows you it’s not just umpires that get blinded by star power.
Or it's telling you something else.

I know it might be jumping ahead a bit, but I feel like testing him out as a small pressure forward as you said is probably the only hope for him to continue his career. Very little chance he gets a spot on the half back flank when the likes of Duryea, Suckling, JJ, Richards, Lynch, etc are fit. Not to mention he really does look to have the skillset of a pressure forward. I'd really like to see him trialed as a forward for the next month in the VFL, and if he can prove himself then he gets a run in the seniors
Not to mention we tried Suckling as a pressure forward in JLT and it didn't go very well, and Dickson who does provide forward pressure may be in his last season while Lloyd is 28.

Not to mention we tried Suckling as a pressure forward in JLT and it didn't go very well, and Dickson who does provide forward pressure may be in his last season while Lloyd is 28.

Suckling as a pressure anything is never going to work, he's not that type of player. He has a fairly limited arsenal in reality but I must admit, he has upped his output this year with 23.3 disposals over 3 games

Suckling as a pressure anything is never going to work, he's not that type of player. He has a fairly limited arsenal in reality but I must admit, he has upped his output this year with 23.3 disposals over 3 games
Hes been great, I even trust him in a 50/50 contest at the moment, aerially or on the deck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back