Prediction Ladder Prediction 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of us have Adelaide bottom 4.

What do we do if they jag the 8? Not impossible.

Are we happy? Or are we shitted off because there goes draft pick #2?
Making the eight with our list would suggest we have elite young talent.

I'd be very happy

Richmond
West Coast
GWS
Western Bulldogs
Collingwood
Brisbane
Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Hawthorn
Geelong
Essendon
St Kilda
Freo
Carlton
Sydney
GC
Adelaide
North

I am thinking North will be closer to the 8 than they are to the spoon . From 10-12th .

Probably, I just never rate north for some reason.
Rest of your list looks almost identical to mine so of course i rate it ... the group of 7-16th is very even so there will surely be some surprises .

Happy because making the 8 with a young list would signal the club is heading in the right direction.

Being sad that you did too well to score a high draft pick is loser thinking (see Carlton).
Except if your board accepts mediocracy and it takes serious failure to get rid of the remaining dead wood.
Finishing bottom is the legacy Chapman deserves for his arrogance.
Ideally Hart would be gone forever. Its amazing how quickly teams decline when he's involved. Hass would pack his bags as well.

When combined with free agency, academy players and a few highly rated locals it becomes opportunistic

In our case the no.1 pick is the bonus not just because of selecting the player of choice but potentially leveraging those clubs with academy players expected to go high
If BCrouch wanted to leave then 2 top picks.

I personally think we should have until after round 1 to do this considering we have not even seen the crows deploy their proper gameplan and setup yet, so who knows where we're at.

I've nearly been thinking about giving away watching AFL and the Crows. Its bad enough to have the uninspiring effort of self sabotage by our club to deal with but when you add in the AFL administrations general incompetence, meddling and Vic centric flagellation I was pretty much done. Was thinking it would be good to instead of schedule my life around access to a tv when the crows games are on, to scheduling my life around everything but that. With games without crowds I think I'll be even more inclined to give this season away.

Before the first preseason game I had a dream. It was about 3/4 thru the upcoming season and it was about 3/4 thru the game I was watching. I normally have pretty positive dreams about footy stuff, but this was an exception. We had had a terrible season and were bottom or second to bottom and in this particular game we had played worse than the worst stuff you've seen from Carlton and GC over the past few years. At first I took it seriously and theorized how we could be that bad, maybe we lost ROB early on, maybe Nicks is a dud, but on further thinking about it, I was probably on this board a lot earlier that night.

I think our gameplan has made our team look slower and more poorly skilled than we really are. You only have to look at how some of the players that have left the club have gone with Hendo the standout example to show this. Given that, on the proviso we have a decent gameplan*, we shouldn't be as bad as we seem. That said, I still only have us mid table 6-12.

*unknown at this stage, by no means a given

So to the ladder:
WC
GWS
Richmond
Collingwood
Bris
Geelong
WB
Adel
Port
Hawks
North
Melb
Carl
Freo
Syd
St Kilda
Ess
GC

This was my pre-season ladder, I won't alter it after two games.

1. Richmond
2. West Coast
3. GWS
4. Bulldogs
5. Collingwood
6. Brisbane
7. Geelong
8. Port

9. Hawthorn
10. Melbourne
11. St Kilda
12. Carlton
13. Essendon
14. Fremantle
15. North
16. Adelaide
17. Sydney
18. Gold Coast

The Bulldogs looked anything but a top 4 side last night.

Results from this year.

footy4ever - 50
maxlilly - 52
Crow_68 - 54
Jack is Back - 54
TubbsFarquhar - 54
AmericanCrow - 56
Kenny Dee - 56
Schulzycrow - 56
GreyCrow - 58
Long Shanks - 58
relapse - 58
FROGGY - 58
marty36 - 60
cammo6556 - 60
ShadeyP - 62
Dc9798 - 62
Untouchables22 - 64
BrissyCrow - 64
pjcrows - 64
Elite Crow - 64
Jinglebells32 - 64
Danger in Texas - 66
James_37 - 66
PCORF - 66
Reborn - 66
WAG - 66
Scorpus - 68
jackster83 - 68
Mr_Moogle - 68
WeeBlake - 74
hulucidal - 74
beartoo - 74
latinoheat - 76
Drugs Are Bad Mackay? - 78
ftmch - 78
Carmo - 78
Bazz_27 - 80
kulak - 84
crows dude - 86
AFC979810 - 90

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I predict Melbourne to improve a lot, and Geelong and Essendon to drop away.

1. Richmond

Head and shoulders clear the best team in the league over the last 3 seasons.

Top quality stars in every line, and a beautifully constructed group of role players.

Will continue as the pace setter for at least another 2 seasons before key player aging may start to slow them down.
:whitecheck:
2. Brisbane

Andrews, Hipwood, McCluggage, Rayner will improve. CEY will help.

Good football team.
3. Melbourne

They would be hoping to get a clear pre season at some point before Gawn is over the hill.

I think with Pickett chasing around after the defenders, and Lever with a full season winning forward half intercepts, they will have a good season.
Lol. I had them much too high last year too. Will I learn?
4. West Coast

Already a good team and added Tim Kelly. Key players have had interrupted pre-seasons.
Close. Underestimated the effect of interrupted preseasons.
5. Western Bulldogs

Contest dominating midfield with Bont the only silky skilled one. Lots of young improving players. Keath and Bruce handy. Skill and pace of Johannisen and Daniel will be critical to being able to being able to score goals from their D50.
Close. Would help them if they could turn one of their star inside midfielders into a star forward.
6. GWS

Teams who stop trying during the grand final often struggle the next year. Leon Cameron is a good people manager and they still have a super talented list.

To win a premiership you need to be the best at something, and then a coach who can craft a game plan which fits what you are good at. GWS's forward line isn't that great, their midfield is deep without having a megastar, the defence is good. I think their best bet would be a Richmond style forward press but they don't have the small forwards. Not sure how they make the leap.
Close. Prediction was on track but the wheels fell off late.
7. Hawthorn

Rebuilding through trades is a unique strategy. So far for every gain in a trade, they lose with the gentle decline from their existing guys.

Mitchell will be back, Scully and Wingard will be better, Patton will help. #Worpel is a star. But McEvoy Smith Frawley Stratton etc 30+.

Clarkson's original team had a skillful midfield delivering to a quick forward line. The current team has a grunty midfield and a couple of slow powerful tall forwards. Can the same game plan fit or will he need to change?

I will take a guess that the new and improving is more meaningful than the aging and they rise up the ladder.
Wrong. Worst in the league at contested possessions (-14.2 per game) despite a relatively low skill midfield. Not sure where they are headed.
8. Collingwood

Pendlebury clearly their best player and now in his twilight years. De Goey not quite taking over as might have been expected.

Will be good but not quite as good as 2019.
9. Port Adelaide

Great trading to flip players for draft picks, lots of young talent. Not much quality in the 25+. Will be inconsistent again.
Wrong. Great year. The jump from pretty-good to premiers is hard.
10. Adelaide

Lots of very good players but a totally unbalanced list. Too many one paced ball magnets, too little outside run. Hamish has never spent a main draft pick on a small forward, he thinks that's where you play failed midfielders.

Depending on big improvement from Milera Jones McAdam to provide the pace we need.

Will struggle against quick teams on fast grounds and when it is slippery, ie whenever the ball spends a lot of time outside of packs.

Will still be a decent team while Sloane Tex Talia are still kicking around, it will get worse when they decline.
Wrong but I blame the coach. Reckon this prediction would have been fairly close if we weren't a dysfunctional lazy mess for more than half the season. Once we committed to some level of coherent footy we were able to beat a few of the other teams around this mark and lower.
11. North Melbourne

Really strong 27-31 year old group. No superstars. Will continue to be competitive without contending.
Wrong. It was easily forseeable this would be the year they would dive.
12. Geelong

Tim Kelly gone, and their other good players all 30+. Will be good at the small Kardinia but struggle in open spaces.

Finally on the way down, surely.
Lol
13. Carlton

Exciting, will be very competitive, but not quite winning consistently yet.
14. Sydney

A couple of years from Blakey McCartin Stephens Florent consistently influencing games.
15. Fremantle

Another year, another quality player quits on them. Fyfe is a star but now 28, Walters is elite and now 29, and they have very little other quality over 24. They would want their young players to start influencing games this year.
16. St Kilda

Not rebuilding properly, not enough talent for their 'acquire role players for draft picks' trade period. Heading for competitive without contending and no clear path to contending any time soon. No wonder club legend Jack Steven wanted out.
Wrong. Still not convinced in their list strategy.
17. Essendon

Can they re-hire Mark Neeld so they can get the post-Neeld-sacking bounce again?
Close enough.
18. Gold Coast

Super talented super young. At some point this year they will blow the doors off of a slow old team, maybe us.
Close enough. Who would have thought Matt Rowell would enter the league already good enough to life an otherwise wooden spoon quality team to 3 wins from their first 4.

Before the first preseason game I had a dream. It was about 3/4 thru the upcoming season and it was about 3/4 thru the game I was watching. I normally have pretty positive dreams about footy stuff, but this was an exception. We had had a terrible season and were bottom or second to bottom and in this particular game we had played worse than the worst stuff you've seen from Carlton and GC over the past few years. At first I took it seriously and theorized how we could be that bad, maybe we lost ROB early on, maybe Nicks is a dud, but on further thinking about it, I was probably on this board a lot earlier that night.

I think our gameplan has made our team look slower and more poorly skilled than we really are. You only have to look at how some of the players that have left the club have gone with Hendo the standout example to show this. Given that, on the proviso we have a decent gameplan*, we shouldn't be as bad as we seem. That said, I still only have us mid table 6-12.

*unknown at this stage, by no means a given

So to the ladder:
WC
GWS
Richmond
Collingwood
Bris
Geelong
WB
Adel
Port
Hawks
North
Melb
Carl
Freo
Syd
St Kilda
Ess
GC

While this thread is bumped... I assume my dream above was the western bulldogs game. I've had many crows dreams, none have been even close to being true, pity the worst one I ever had was the most accurate. I should've listened to the dream, wouldve helped my ladder prediction.

Bump

Following on from what I said in the list management thread.

Preseason no one thought we were going to be a calamity struggling to win a game. One of the worst teams in recent years (expansion notwithstanding).

So when you see a board member (Roo) kicking off after round 2 of year 3 under Nicks - remember this rebuild was never meant to be brutal, we never expected to be this bad. Not even in year 1.

We, as a club, did not expect to fall so low when we rebuilt.

So don’t assume anyone is laughing or accepting where we are in year 3.

We perhaps overestimated the influence our senior and up and coming players would have on the 2020-22 period

Sloane dropping off dramatically
Lynch and Talia careers over
Smith and Brown playing steady football only
The Crouch brothers either gone, injured or having minimal influence
Milera not firing a shot

These guys were meant to steer us through this difficult period, keeping us competitive while the younger players found their feet. Instead they've largely floundered.

We could afford to wave goodbye to Greenwood and Keath because of what we thought we still had.

We perhaps overestimated the influence our senior and up and coming players would have on the 2020-22 period

Sloane dropping off dramatically
Lynch and Talia careers over
Smith and Brown playing steady football only
The Crouch brothers either gone, injured or having minimal influence
Milera not firing a shot

These guys were meant to steer us through this difficult period, keeping us competitive while the younger players found their feet. Instead they've largely floundered.

We could afford to wave goodbye to Greenwood and Keath because of what we thought we still had.

Do you think the senior guys in the team, the ones that are meant to carry most of the load for a rebuilding team, have lost that fire in the belly ?
Just going through the motions as they know we wont be really competitive in most games, cant get dropped because the club believe we need experience in the team.
So the senior guys aren't really leading the team, and the young guys aren't mature enough to consistently do the heavy lifting.
And so the club goes through a funk stage for a few years ?

Do you think the senior guys in the team, the ones that are meant to carry most of the load for a rebuilding team, have lost that fire in the belly ?
Just going through the motions as they know we wont be really competitive in most games, cant get dropped because the club believe we need experience in the team.
So the senior guys aren't really leading the team, and the young guys aren't mature enough to consistently do the heavy lifting.
And so the club goes through a funk stage for a few years ?
I think those players slipped into the football equivalent of depression after losing the 2017 grand final.

They'd had a bunch of goes at climbing the mountain and failed. That time they got so close to the summit but slid all the way back down to the bottom.

Difficult to muster the same enthusiasm for the task again.

We thought that was going to be the reward for all the hard work. That would in a way provide some sort of (football) closure for the Phil Walsh tragedy.

When it wasn't...? At a bit of a loose end since.

Not to mention the inner belief that would have been eaten away at.

Preseason no one thought we were going to be a calamity struggling to win a game. One of the worst teams in recent years (expansion notwithstanding).
In fairness, many of us had us finishing bottom four (see page 1 of this thread). Bottom four is a very bad year, and no one who tops bottom four is going to be too surprised about coming last.

You don’t predict an absolute calamity like our 2020 because that kind of year is rare.

I think those players slipped into the football equivalent of depression after losing the 2017 grand final.

They'd had a bunch of goes at climbing the mountain and failed. That time they got so close to the summit but slid all the way back down to the bottom.

We thought that was going to be the reward for all the hard work. That would in a way provide some sort of (football) closure for the Phil Walsh tragedy.

An aggressive refresh of the list should have been done at the end of 2017, instead of allowing it to fester.

Yep, after the GF, we didn't quite get to the top and then the camp brought it all crumbling down.
It's not surprising we did the massive clean out like we did with all that damaged goods we had on board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back