Fremantle
Adelaide
Gold Coast
Essendon
West Coast
North Melbourne
Hawthorn

Melbourne
Petracca is the dominant player in the competition. Unlikely they fall out of the 2022 finals if not for him getting injured early in the game vs Sydney. Grundy over Jackson makes them better. If Petracca is fit, and enough of the supporting pieces are fit, then they should be clearly the best team.

Brisbane
Dunkley can provide the physical screen for Neale to play with more freedom. McKenna is great and will really help their run from defence. So they should be better.

Western Bulldogs
Gun midfield. Baffled by their list strategy, having spent draft capital on JUH and Darcy, they just traded in Lobb to partner Naughton up forward. Really they should be very strong.

Port Adelaide
Despite significant injuries they were pretty good for most of last year apart, going 10-7 from round 6 onwards. JHF and Rioli are sensational trades. Should make finals on list strength.

Sydney
The last 3 one-sided grand finals have all seen the losing team miss the finals next season. But prior to that it was quite normal for teams to get thumped and still turn up to compete the following year eg Sydney who lost by 63 points to Hawthorn in 2014 and then made the top 4 in 2015 albeit losing in straight sets. All their good players should be either the same or improved. Still also not totally convinced which one of their young players is going to hit All Australian level.

Geelong
Their top 10 players are all 30+. Is this the year they fall?

St Kilda
Max King injured. Appear to be a team with lots of good players, not many great players. Big coach upgrade, some players will suddenly look much better with better team structure.

GWS
Tom Green is better than both Taranto and Hopper and much more skilful. Lots of really nice key position players and flankers. Don't know if Adam Kingsley can coach. If he can, then they should be good.

Richmond
Hard to place. 4th last year by percentage and could easily have won their 1st final. Hopper and Taranto a good fit for the forward handpass and pressure gameplan. But also Cotchin Martin Prestia Lynch all now 30+ and declining. But also that hasn't proved to be a problem for Geelong. But ultimately I will go with my hypothesis that players who get a lot of possessions but don't use the ball that well don't help the team as much as you might think, and therefore Hopper and Taranto won't help them that much, and therefore the others being 30+ and declining will be the deciding effect, so they should fall.

Carlton
Star forwards, key defender, and midfielders. In theory have all the pieces to be a contender. Not convinced by Voss as coach.

Collingwood
Pendlebury is 35, Sidebottom is 32, and Grundy is traded. But trades are all great, Mitchell reinforces the midfield, and Hill & McStay are both great team players who make the group better without needing to be fed possessions. 10th last year on percentage but kept winning close games. I think they regress to where their percentage last year says they should have been.

Fremantle
I still don't rate Fremantle even though they won a final last year. I still don't rate Brayshaw even though he won the AFL players player of the year last year. Apart from Serong, the rest of their midfielders are players who get a lot of possessions but don't have a high hurt factor. Jackson getting paid a lot for a backup ruck.

Adelaide
Rankine and Rachelle creates tonnes of run, pressure and skill in the forward half. Soligo most exciting first year of any midfielder in years. Still very young. Should be better but maybe not many more wins.

Gold Coast
Rowell Anderson Miller Witts should be an elite midfield. Unclear whether they can put together a balanced list around that, key position players and flankers still looks not quite good enough to support the engine room.

Essendon
Teams with midfielders who get lots of possessions but don't use the ball especially well tend not to win as many games as you'd think, and Shiel Parish and to some extent Caldwell all fit that mould. And they don't have the insane ground pressure to play a territory game. So the fit isn't quite right, and I don't think a new coach changes that much.

West Coast
Are other teams allowed to do what Geelong is doing, and play really good football with all your best players 30+ years old? I think they are a kick-mark team who don't have quite enough skill in their midfield anymore to play that style with Shuey struggling with injury. And too many injuries overall.

North Melbourne
Rebuilding

Hawthorn
Rebuilding and probably want to lose to get better picks

Bris - recruited well, getting hardened finals experience, should have enough now to really go on with it.
Melb - still very good, have lost some depth, but first team very good, only question is desire, seemed to lose it halfway thru last year
Syd - I really like Syd/Coll and Freo's coaches. Smart men. I see no reason to think those guys won't get similar results again this year.
Coll

Freo
Geel - Are they durable enough to do it all again? Have they got as much desire? Can't answer that until later in year so here's my best guess.
WB - Even tho they have recruited tall forwards and backs suggesting that's where they see their weaknesses, I can't help but feel mids are now over the hill
Carl - LOL, the only reason these frauds will get even close to the 8 is the massive armchair ride they get from the umps. Cant see that changing.

Rich - Ninth for old times sake. Don't reckon the young mids they picked up will have as much impact as people reckon.
Adl - Young and talented team with a sprinkling of good experienced players. Doubtful they're top 8 material but being fit and gaining experience should go up a bit.
Port - Not sure where to put them with this new gameplan they've got, especially if its a Bassett production. Put them below us cos I'm a prick.
WC - No way they go as bad as last year. Still a solid group of senior players.
GWS - Dunno if the new coach thing will help as much as people think. Lost a few players. Those players look good at other clubs.
GC - The club lacks examples of what you have to do to get into finals. Improving culture but its a slow burn.

StK - These guys could easily be top 8 if they ever got their best team on the park, but they just have perennial injuries to good players.
Haw - The bottom 3 is a bit of a raffle, Hawks youngest, Norf, well Norf, and Ess also very young, with a new coach who's tried but never done too well.
Ess
Kang

Melbourne
richmond
geelong
brisbane
bulldogs
st Kilda
fremantle
collongwood
port
Swans
Carlton
GWS
Suns
Hawthorn
crows
Essendon
West coast
kangaroos

Adjusted

Melbourne
richmond
geelong
brisbane
fremantle
collongwood
port
Bulldogs
Swans
Carlton
GWS
Crows
Suns
St kilda
Hawthorn
West coast
Essendon
kangaroos

Brisbane
Geelong
Melbourne
Richmond
Carlton
Port Adelaide
Fremantle
Gold Coast

Sydney
Collingwood
Adelaide
Western bulldogs
Essendon
Giants
St Kilda
Hawthorn
West Coast
North Melb
Don’t like my ladder

New one after pre season

Brisbane
Melbourne
Collingwood
Geelong
Western bulldogs
Carlton
Fremantle
Sydney

Richmond
GWS
Adelaide
Gold Coast
Port Adelaide
West Coast
Essendon
St Kilda
Hawthorn
North Melbourne

Brisbane - need to crack it now
Geelong - still got great depth and a great home record
Melbourne - Grundy can rejuvenate them
Footscray - better balance between midfield and key position
Sydney - worried about a fading Franklin and GF hangover but still have a great culture
Collingwood - always in every game and some good pickups
Fremantle - very solid but still not convinced they have the firepower
Richmond - some ageing stars but have strengthened midfield from GWS
Carlton - lots of top end quality but doubt their mettle when the whips are cracking
Port Adelaide - will again flatter to deceive - lack the firepower to make finals
Adelaide - slightly optimistic from me here but hoping to climb in the right direction - I like Dawson as skipper
Gold Coast - on paper have the tools to really challenge the 8 but have never put together a full season
GWS - will be inconsistent and Taranto and Hopper will be missed but Kingsley is a good appointment
West Coast - massively underperformed although ageing but still have some proven quality
St Kilda - big injury list and lack of genuine star quality
Essendon - just seems like more turbulence
Hawthorn - big calls taken in the off-season but think they will pay off in the medium term
North Melbourne - still a long way off Clarkson or no Clarkson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong
Brisbane
Melbourne
Richmond
Collingwood
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Bulldogs

Fremantle
Carlton
Adelaide
GWS
Gold Coast
St Kilda
West Coast
Essendon
North Melbourne
Hawthorn
Not bad.. except way too generous to the Tarpies 😉

Better get in before the season starts…

Melbourne
Brisbane
Geelong
Fremantle
Richmond
Carlton
Collingwood
Gold Coast

Sydney
Adelaide
Port
Western Bulldogs
Essendon
West Coast
St Kilda
North
Hawthorn
GWS

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I did the head to head wins for each of the 23 rounds and got Port in the top 5 and Geelong missing the 8.
Said, hmmm, that can't be right, so decided to not post the ladder.
FWIW, go us in 10-11th with 10 wins.

I think i had us winning 10 games.. finishing 12thish... well we are bottom 5 after yesterday. NICKSOUT

After preseason I pushed us up a spot or 2 and saints down, bad move. I did think we'd finish higher than I had us but couldn't pick which side would slide below from the few just ahead of us. Not sure now, but the saints was a bad call this far and Freo looking like the one that might drop right off.

Last edited:
Melbourne
Carlton
Brisbane
Saints
Fremantle
GWS
Bulldogs
Geelong
---------------
Richmond
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Gold Coast
Adelaide
West Coast
Collingwood
Hawthorn
North
Essendon

Collingwood did me in again. Watch next year as I learn my lesson, put them in the top 4 and they finish 14th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back