footy4ever - 82
Mileratkinsshow - 82
Scorpus - 82
TubbsFarquhar - 84
benji2 - 88
FR0GGY - 90

Not too bad of an effort.

Looking forward to 2024.

Pretty happy with my predictions this year aside from Collingwood. Always get them wrong.

1. Melbourne - finished 6th
Petracca is the dominant player in the competition. Unlikely they fall out of the 2022 finals if not for him getting injured early in the game vs Sydney. Grundy over Jackson makes them better. If Petracca is fit, and enough of the supporting pieces are fit, then they should be clearly the best team.
:whitecheck:
They were actually really good through the year. But lost two finals despite lots more I50s and scoring shots, simply on bad goalkicking.

2. Brisbane - finished 2nd
Dunkley can provide the physical screen for Neale to play with more freedom. McKenna is great and will really help their run from defence. So they should be better.

3. Western Bulldogs - finished 9th
Gun midfield. Baffled by their list strategy, having spent draft capital on JUH and Darcy, they just traded in Lobb to partner Naughton up forward. Really they should be very strong.
:crossmark:
Can't seem to get themselves organised with the structure they had in 2016.

4. Port Adelaide - finished 5th
Despite significant injuries they were pretty good for most of last year apart, going 10-7 from round 6 onwards. JHF and Rioli are sensational trades. Should make finals on list strength.

5. Sydney - finished 8th
The last 3 one-sided grand finals have all seen the losing team miss the finals next season. But prior to that it was quite normal for teams to get thumped and still turn up to compete the following year eg Sydney who lost by 63 points to Hawthorn in 2014 and then made the top 4 in 2015 albeit losing in straight sets. All their good players should be either the same or improved. Still also not totally convinced which one of their young players is going to hit All Australian level.

6. Geelong - finished 12th
Their top 10 players are all 30+. Is this the year they fall?

7. St Kilda - finished 7th
Max King injured. Appear to be a team with lots of good players, not many great players. Big coach upgrade, some players will suddenly look much better with better team structure.
:whitecheck::whitecheck::whitecheck:
One other person to have these guys in the top 8 was Golumless.

8. GWS - finished 4th
Tom Green is better than both Taranto and Hopper and much more skilful. Lots of really nice key position players and flankers. Don't know if Adam Kingsley can coach. If he can, then they should be good.
Should have had guts to put them higher. Instinctively knew that losing ball-burners Taranto and Hopper would make them better.

9. Richmond - finished 13th
Hard to place. 4th last year by percentage and could easily have won their 1st final. Hopper and Taranto a good fit for the forward handpass and pressure gameplan. But also Cotchin Martin Prestia Lynch all now 30+ and declining. But also that hasn't proved to be a problem for Geelong. But ultimately I will go with my hypothesis that players who get a lot of possessions but don't use the ball that well don't help the team as much as you might think, and therefore Hopper and Taranto won't help them that much, and therefore the others being 30+ and declining will be the deciding effect, so they should fall.
Should have had the guts to put them them lower. Instinctively knew that adding ball-burners Taranto and Hopper would make them worse.

10. Carlton - finished 3rd
Star forwards, key defender, and midfielders. In theory have all the pieces to be a contender. Not convinced by Voss as coach.
IMO they were lucky with both their finals wins. Still even a finish in the 7-8 range is a good year for Voss.

11. Collingwood - finished 1st
Pendlebury is 35, Sidebottom is 32, and Grundy is traded. But trades are all great, Mitchell reinforces the midfield, and Hill & McStay are both great team players who make the group better without needing to be fed possessions. 10th last year on percentage but kept winning close games. I think they regress to where their percentage last year says they should have been.
:crossmark::crossmark::crossmark::crossmark::crossmark:
How is Pendlebury still so good. And their trades really were sensational.

12. Fremantle - finished 14th
I still don't rate Fremantle even though they won a final last year. I still don't rate Brayshaw even though he won the AFL players player of the year last year. Apart from Serong, the rest of their midfielders are players who get a lot of possessions but don't have a high hurt factor. Jackson getting paid a lot for a backup ruck.
:whitecheck::whitecheck::whitecheck:

13. Adelaide - finished 10th
Rankine and Rachelle creates tonnes of run, pressure and skill in the forward half. Soligo most exciting first year of any midfielder in years. Still very young. Should be better but maybe not many more wins.

14. Gold Coast - finished 15th
Rowell Anderson Miller Witts should be an elite midfield. Unclear whether they can put together a balanced list around that, key position players and flankers still looks not quite good enough to support the engine room.

15. Essendon - finished 11th
Teams with midfielders who get lots of possessions but don't use the ball especially well tend not to win as many games as you'd think, and Shiel Parish and to some extent Caldwell all fit that mould. And they don't have the insane ground pressure to play a territory game. So the fit isn't quite right, and I don't think a new coach changes that much.

16. West Coast - finished 18th
Are other teams allowed to do what Geelong is doing, and play really good football with all your best players 30+ years old? I think they are a kick-mark team who don't have quite enough skill in their midfield anymore to play that style with Shuey struggling with injury. And too many injuries overall.
Tonnes of injuries yet again.

17. North Melbourne - finished 17th
Rebuilding

18. Hawthorn - finished 16th
Rebuilding and probably want to lose to get better picks
Grading this as a fail even though I was 2 positions out because they were actually pretty good. Won 7 games with a percentage of 80. Quite a bit better than your typical wooden spooner.

1. Brisbane
2. Melbourne
3. Geelong
4. Western Bulldogs
5. Carlton
6. Fremantle
7. Sydney
8. Gold Coast
-------------------------------------------
9. Richmond
10. Collingwood
11. Adelaide
12. GWS
13. Port Adelaide
14. St Kilda
15. West Coast
16. Hawthorn
17. Essendon
18. North Melbourne
Geelong, Bulldogs, Freo, GC, Collingwood, GWS, Port and St Kilda all screwed me over big time.

Oh who am I kidding, when you misrate (I don't think this is a word, but it is now) nearly half the competition, you're nostradumbarse.

Results this year - congrats AFC979810

AFC979810 - 56
kulak - 60
kirky - 60
Mr MysteryGuest - 64
Danger in Texas - 66
Thylacinus - 68
Eddie Murphy - 68
martyparty - 68
LoBu - 68
relapse - 70
Jeffcrowe - 70
GreyCrow - 70
Golumless - 70
CrowsB4hoes - 74
Carmo - 76
George Kramer - 76
Crow_68 - 76
CH Jazz - 76
glengowan - 78
huludicidal - 78
latinoheat - 78
WeeBlake - 78
1970crow - 80
pjcrows - 80
Kane McGoodwin - 80
Crows I Am - 80
Cromulent - 80
jackster83 - 80
10Dulkar - 82
footy4ever - 82
Mileratkinsshow - 82
Scorpus - 82
TubbsFarquhar - 84
benji2 - 88
FR0GGY - 90
FR0GGY you stink

Adjusted submission

Brisbane
Geelong
Melbourne
Carlton
Richmond
Sydney
GWS
Adelaide

Western Bulldogs
Fremantle
St Kilda
Collingwood
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Essendon
West Coast
Hawthorn
North Melbourne
Pies, Tigers, Cats, Saints, Power all wildly wrong. Not too bad, other than that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back