Social Science Ladies of BF: What has posting here taught you about men?

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are these men that are threatened by women’s intelligence? They seem to exist mostly in peoples imagination.
It is a fairly well established phenomenon. Even men who are ostensibly attracted to intelligent women tend to shy away from actually dating people smarter than them.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0146167215599749

The effect is even more pronounced when the woman outshines the man in his own area of expertise.

Last edited:

Most guys here are lovely (either on the surface , or deeper down )

Also before I get accused of hypocrisy , I’ll come clean and should add that ironically I have been guilty of a stupid PM or two too :/

Real life is still worse though :p
(Just this morning - some random guy at work called me “darling” . I think the stony look on my face said it all as he backtracked ....)
I bemoan the loss of the use of endearments in conversation. 'Darling', 'Luv', 'Sweetheart' etc. These are all simply a part of the Aussie lexicon.

I understand in certain formal settings it's inappropriate but otherwise its fine.

Regarding the PM's that women on this site receive, surely we deserve a thread with usernames edited out to see the pathetic pick-up attempts you've gotten? It would be utterly hilarious and a bit of payback, no? Morganashlee MEB_ MWPP

It is a fairly well established phenomenon. Even men who are ostensibly attracted to intelligent women tend to shy away from actually dating people smarter than them.

My ex had a PhD in political science and the ex before had a masters in pharmacy. I'd much rather date someone much smarter than me than someone much dumber, makes me feel like I'm punching above my weight.

My ex had a PhD in political science and the ex before had a masters in pharmacy. I'd much rather date someone much smarter than me than someone much dumber, makes me feel like I'm punching above my weight.
I'd much rather date someone prettier than me than someone uglier than me, makes me feel like I'm punching above my weight.

It's hard limiting the pool so much ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Intelligence is relative. You can have a PhD in rocket science and be a social retread, in fact plenty that do are. I'd much rather date a girl with a brain than a full time 'brow stylist' but being able to maintain conversation is the main thing.

Pft PhD in rocket science. Not exactly brain surgery is it?

we’ll see if you feel this way when the country is overrun with immigrants

we-will-decide.png

I am guessing that you either (a) don't work in the fields of political science or pharmacy, or (b) do, and were equally/more successful in your career than they were.

Intelligence is relative. You can have a PhD in rocket science and be a social retread, in fact plenty that do are. I'd much rather date a girl with a brain than a full time 'brow stylist' but being able to maintain conversation is the main thing.
you're confusing knowledge and intelligence

I am guessing that you either (a) don't work in the fields of political science or pharmacy, or (b) do, and were equally/more successful in your career than they were.

I don't work in either field, they were more successful than me in terms of academics and in earnings. I've levelled the field a bit now, but that's not out to make myself feel superior to women it's to feel superior to my previous self.

Is this where we ask the ladies of BigFooty what they think of us? :p
I don't think any of us are too shy to tell you what we think ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back