Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Great player, I think we have over committed with the five years which is really six years as he had one remaining. We didn't have much to negotiate with but I sense it is a few years too long. Hopefully it is front loaded as you would hope in the next few years we have the capacity to improve our list.

Still I don't want to be negative, I am happy he is staying.

Scorpus

Only Way Is Up
Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
If he can't back up his midfield form of last year, which was only for ~10 rounds, what the hell are we going to do with this guy for another SIX seasons (including 2021)?

We're certainly betting big that this guy is a star midfielder off little proven form. Surely a 3-4 year deal signed mid-season (after more exposed form) would have made the most sense

BACCS

BigFooty Juggernaut
May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Gary Putland, Redbacks, Oz Cricket
5 year deals. What could possibly go wrong?
I think he’s shown to be a lot more durable than Sloaney and has also played a less physically taxing role before last season. I’m hoping it’s 4 with a trigger for a 5th and they’re choosing to keep that detail in house, they don’t seem to release this when announcing new contracts at any club and it tends to come up later when it leaks out. Has been our best player for the last 5 years and I think is a more important signing than Matt for the rebuild (would prefer both obviously).

We need to keep a core of our experienced players, especially those who are actually elite, which we have very few of.

BACCS

BigFooty Juggernaut
May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wouldn't have given him more than 3.
That’s just ridiculous for a player of his caliber, where else is the money going with the youngest list in the comp? Guys like Thilthorpe are a couple of years away from potentially commanding much bigger contracts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taylor

Community Leader
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
5 year deals. What could possibly go wrong?
I'd expect that now you've contracted him for six seasons that Adelaide has shifted four of the six years money into 2021 and 2022 so he is essentially playing for free in the last four years of this deal - allowing the crows to throw big cash at attracting new players from 2022 onwards.

Scorpus

Only Way Is Up
Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Has been our best player for the last 5 years and I think is a more important signing than Matt for the rebuild (would prefer both obviously).
Disagree on both parts. Laird has been in our top players for the last 5 years but I wouldn't say he has been our outright best in that period.

I also think Matt is more important to keep. He has proven midfield form and plays a clearly defined role that we can build around. If Laird doesn't make it as a midfielder, he reverts to half back where we are stacked with talent

FR0GGY

Press the button
Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
That’s just ridiculous for a player of his caliber, where else is the money going with the youngest list in the comp? Guys like Thilthorpe are a couple of years away from potentially commanding much bigger contracts.
We always manage to spend it.
When have we ever had excess cap to go shopping?

BACCS

BigFooty Juggernaut
May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Disagree on both parts. Laird has been in our top players for the last 5 years but I wouldn't say he has been our outright best in that period.

I also think Matt is more important to keep. He has proven midfield form and plays a clearly defined role that we can build around. If Laird doesn't make it as a midfielder, he reverts to half back where we are stacked with talent
Did you forget he has two AAs as a half back? Half a season of form below his usual output doesn’t mean he’s washed up as a half back

Scorpus

Only Way Is Up
Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
You don't want to waste money for the sake of not having anyone to spend it on. Ideally you'd bring forward as many payments into this year as possible, leaving room in later years to re-sign younger players who are future stars

BACCS

BigFooty Juggernaut
May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
We always manage to spend it.
When have we ever had excess cap to go shopping?
What do you see this impacting on contacts wise? We aren’t attracting big names for 2-3 seasons, Doedee will stay, Crouch is the only other player that will demand a similar contract.

BACCS

BigFooty Juggernaut
May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
You don't want to waste money for the sake of not having anyone to spend it on. Ideally you'd bring forward as many payments into this year as possible, leaving room in later years to re-sign younger players who are future stars
I don’t see this as wasting money though

Remove this Banner Ad