Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

In the worst midfield probably ever.
Probably. Cmon.
Laird was an all Australian before the 6/6/6 rule. He had complete autonomy to sweep up without worrying about an opponent.
Ever since accountability came in to his role it’s been broken down and his time and space to make a decision and use the ball effectively has been tightened. Results have been reduced considerably.
Sure, I prefer him in midfield now rather than a defensive post, but his in tight decision making needs honing as like our other midfield members it end up being a high percentage disconnect to the forward line through poor skill disposal and choice.
Oh I watch and go.
OK, so you need to buy a vowel.

G E T A C L U_ !

Seeing the last two responses you’re not actually propping up his game one bit and just goin the poster I’d take that as you concur. Cool.
Given you are clueless as to why we have improved our centre clearances since Laird has been moved into the midfield , it's rather pointless having a meaningful discussion with you...

Given you are clueless as to why we have improved our centre clearances since Laird has been moved into the midfield , it's rather pointless having a meaningful discussion with you...
Well the Western Bulldogs game says otherwise. I’d hasten to guess that Schoenberg is probably getting more confidence and improving that stat as much as your inference.

A couple of games is too small a sample size. If he keeps winning clearances clubs will take notice and try and negate his influence. Happy for him to continue in the middle though. And tbh we don't really have any other options right now

If Laird gets noticed and tagged, there’s a chance someone else gets off the leash.

But please don’t tag him!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Laird is young enough to be someone we should be looking to keep. But he needs to reinvent himself next season. Would only trade if it resulted in another first round pick in the top 12.
He's had a huge game or two playing as a mid. Great inside and outside work in the absence of others.

I want him to make the permanent move.

Two-time All-Australian and Malcolm Blight Medallist Rory Laird has signed a five-year contract extension to remain with Adelaide until 2026.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great player, I think we have over committed with the five years which is really six years as he had one remaining. We didn't have much to negotiate with but I sense it is a few years too long. Hopefully it is front loaded as you would hope in the next few years we have the capacity to improve our list.

Still I don't want to be negative, I am happy he is staying.

Hopefully, we have options to get out of that one if we need too.

Still, at least Laird has some flexibility which should offer some coverage if things start to go south with him being a midfielder/when we don't need him there anymore.

If he can't back up his midfield form of last year, which was only for ~10 rounds, what the hell are we going to do with this guy for another SIX seasons (including 2021)?

We're certainly betting big that this guy is a star midfielder off little proven form. Surely a 3-4 year deal signed mid-season (after more exposed form) would have made the most sense

5 year deals. What could possibly go wrong?
I think he’s shown to be a lot more durable than Sloaney and has also played a less physically taxing role before last season. I’m hoping it’s 4 with a trigger for a 5th and they’re choosing to keep that detail in house, they don’t seem to release this when announcing new contracts at any club and it tends to come up later when it leaks out. Has been our best player for the last 5 years and I think is a more important signing than Matt for the rebuild (would prefer both obviously).

We need to keep a core of our experienced players, especially those who are actually elite, which we have very few of.

5 year deals. What could possibly go wrong?
I'd expect that now you've contracted him for six seasons that Adelaide has shifted four of the six years money into 2021 and 2022 so he is essentially playing for free in the last four years of this deal - allowing the crows to throw big cash at attracting new players from 2022 onwards.

Has been our best player for the last 5 years and I think is a more important signing than Matt for the rebuild (would prefer both obviously).

Disagree on both parts. Laird has been in our top players for the last 5 years but I wouldn't say he has been our outright best in that period.

I also think Matt is more important to keep. He has proven midfield form and plays a clearly defined role that we can build around. If Laird doesn't make it as a midfielder, he reverts to half back where we are stacked with talent

That’s just ridiculous for a player of his caliber, where else is the money going with the youngest list in the comp? Guys like Thilthorpe are a couple of years away from potentially commanding much bigger contracts.
We always manage to spend it.
When have we ever had excess cap to go shopping?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back