Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

If we weren't offering 5 he leaves and we get a second round pick

He wouldn't be getting 850k a year at another club we certainly wouldn't get a 1st round pick through compo, free agency compo doesn't work if the player is looking for longer contracts because they'll take less to have more years. The AFL's shitty formula doesn't take that into account.

You get the best compo if the player going only gets a 2 or 3 year deal on great money

Top 5 player from the last few years whos' form is back on an upwards trajectory after a down period (in line with the rest of the team / club). Clearly a great example to the younger guys in terms of how to get the absolute most out of your ability. And it'll keep Smithers happy for another 5 years.

4 years would have been better, but if 5 is what it took (which is clearly what he was wanting and what he would have been offered elsewhere), then big deal. Well played all round.

He wouldn't be getting 850k a year at another club we certainly wouldn't get a 1st round pick through compo, free agency compo doesn't work if the player is looking for longer contracts because they'll take less to have more years. The AFL's shitty formula doesn't take that into account.

You get the best compo if the player going only gets a 2 or 3 year deal on great money
Agree apparently Laird was offered 5 by 2 other clubs. He obviously said give me 5 or I take up one of the deals and you get nothing. The important part is the yearly pay. We must turn our attention to signing up our potential young stars now for at least 3 to 4 years.
Doedee, Sholl, Schoenberg, ROB, Worrell, McPherson, Hamill, Himmelberg, Thilthorpe, McAdam, Pedlar, Berry. This is the nucleus of our future.

The players currently contracted to us for the 2023 season and beyond. So a full two seasons away

Rory Laird - 4 more years from start of 2023
Wayne Milera - 3 more years
Brodie Smith - 2 more years
Luke Brown - 1 more year
Rory Sloane - 1 more year
Chayce Jones - 1 more year
Harry Schoenberg - 1 more year

Aside from the two young guys at the bottom of the list, it just isn't a very exciting list to be honest
Milera would've been at the time.

Therefore I expect Laird to have a career threatening injury.

I thought Laird wanted to leave the club, well that's what the media told us..

Take note Brad Crouch, loyalty...

I woukd have preferred a 4 year deal recognising that 3 years would open the door for other offers

Laird is a player that has been pretty durable, he is not bangged up and should be able to perform in his early thirties

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What do you see this impacting on contacts wise? We aren’t attracting big names for 2-3 seasons, Doedee will stay, Crouch is the only other player that will demand a similar contract.
It doesn’t necessarily mean you lose players, it can impact on players coming in.
We should absolutely be looking to bring young players back now.

I woukd have preferred a 4 year deal recognising that 3 years would open the door for other offers

Laird is a player that has been pretty durable, he is not bangged up and should be able to perform in his early thirties

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I remember people saying the same things about Bryce Gibbs

Yep, welcome to the world of free agency. A top player who was drafted at 18 will be 26 when they get to free agency. Prime age. They'll get a 5 year offer from another club, because that's what it takes to prise a free agent out. Ergo, their current club has to offer 5 years if they want to keep them, even if that's 1 or even 2 years longer than they'd like to offer.

So it's a choice between contracting Laird for 5 years (hopefully front loaded), expecting to get maybe 4 years out of him, or to not have him at all. That's the hard decision any club is going to have to make about its better players in the new world. Laird isn't the first player to get a deal taking him through to 32-33, reluctantly on the part of the club, and he won't be the last.

Also worth noting that Laird is "top age" for a free agent, a year or 2 older than most (18 year old draftees).

Also for context in the Laird / Crouch thing:
- Laird will turn 28 in Dec 2021, and 33 in Dec 2026.
- Crouch will turn 26 in April 2021, and 31 in April 2026.
(i.e. Laird is 1 year + 4 months older)
I don't think giving the same (5 year) deal to Crouch, when he would turn 31 in the last year, would be a bad thing.

I'd be interested to hear from the club why they thought giving Hugh Greenwood a contract until he was 32 was a bad idea, but Rory Laird to that age is a good idea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh?

You think Brad Crouch wouldn't have stayed on a 5 year deal?

You think Laird's management didn't know they had other VFL clubs that were waiting in the wings with 5 year deals hence Laird not putting pen to paper with our initial 3 year offer.

You also realise we had tabled a 3 year deal to Brad Crouch which was withdrawn when Covid struck and the AFL put a hold on all contracts being negotiated.

Big difference, actually massive difference you are forgetting.

Money..

Brad wanted top dollar and 4-5 years.

Laird is probably getting average money over 5 years.

Laird isn't being greedy and shopped himself around and going public (media) for top dollar.

Yep, welcome to the world of free agency. A top player who was drafted at 18 will be 26 when they get to free agency. Prime age. They'll get a 5 year offer from another club, because that's what it takes to prise a free agent out. Ergo, their current club has to offer 5 years if they want to keep them, even if that's 1 or even 2 years longer than they'd like to offer.

So it's a choice between contracting Laird for 5 years (hopefully front loaded), expecting to get maybe 4 years out of him, or to not have him at all. That's the hard decision any club is going to have to make about its better players in the new world. Laird isn't the first player to get a deal taking him through to 32-33, reluctantly on the part of the club, and he won't be the last.

Also worth noting that Laird is "top age" for a free agent, a year or 2 older than most (18 year old draftees).

Also for context in the Laird / Crouch thing:
- Laird will turn 28 in Dec 2021, and 33 in Dec 2026.
- Crouch will turn 26 in April 2021, and 31 in April 2026.
(i.e. Laird is 1 year + 4 months older)
I don't think giving the same (5 year) deal to Crouch, when he would turn 31 in the last year, would be a bad thing.
Interesting - I thought Laird was a young draftee?

I'd be interested to hear from the club why they thought giving Hugh Greenwood a contract until he was 32 was a bad idea, but Rory Laird to that age is a good idea
Probably because Laird is better at footballing.

I'd expect that now you've contracted him for six seasons that Adelaide has shifted four of the six years money into 2021 and 2022 so he is essentially playing for free in the last four years of this deal - allowing the crows to throw big cash at attracting new players from 2022 onwards.
I hope you’re right. If so, and the $$ aren’t excessive, I’m happy.

But also much more expensive to retain
Is he though ??

I'd imagine we'd have gotten similar compo for Laird if he chose to leave.

I'm more comfortable giving Laird this deal than I would've been for Brad. Not that I'm super comfortable about it

Is he though ??

I'd imagine we'd have gotten similar compo for Laird if he chose to leave.

You reckon we would have gotten a third round pick for Laird?

Laird is surely on $1m+ more than Greenwood is at Gold Coast over the lengths of their contracts

Interesting - I thought Laird was a young draftee?
Yes, his age surprised me. Yes, he was a young draftee, but:
2011 Rookie Draft, so he would have been just about to turn 18 at the time. Elevated to the senior list in April 2013 (i.e. just turned 20) => I'm assuming his 8 years until free agency would have started then => free agent at end of 2021.

Yes, his age surprised me. Yes, he was a young draftee, but:
2011 Rookie Draft, so he would have been just about to turn 18 at the time. Elevated to the senior list in April 2013 (i.e. just turned 20) => I'm assuming his 8 years until free agency would have started then => free agent at end of 2021.

I think it was more than his last deal was a 3 year deal, so he went from a 7 year player (out of contract non-FA) to a 10 year player (restricted FA). Free agency opens at 8 years

You reckon we would have gotten a third round pick for Laird?

Laird is surely on $1m+ more than Greenwood is at Gold Coast over the lengths of their contracts
I wouldn't think so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back