Player Watch Rory Laird

WeeBlake

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd expect that now you've contracted him for six seasons that Adelaide has shifted four of the six years money into 2021 and 2022 so he is essentially playing for free in the last four years of this deal - allowing the crows to throw big cash at attracting new players from 2022 onwards.
I hope you’re right. If so, and the $$ aren’t excessive, I’m happy.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
But also much more expensive to retain
Is he though ??

I'd imagine we'd have gotten similar compo for Laird if he chose to leave.

I'm more comfortable giving Laird this deal than I would've been for Brad. Not that I'm super comfortable about it

Is he though ??

I'd imagine we'd have gotten similar compo for Laird if he chose to leave.

You reckon we would have gotten a third round pick for Laird?

Laird is surely on $1m+ more than Greenwood is at Gold Coast over the lengths of their contracts

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting - I thought Laird was a young draftee?
Yes, his age surprised me. Yes, he was a young draftee, but:
2011 Rookie Draft, so he would have been just about to turn 18 at the time. Elevated to the senior list in April 2013 (i.e. just turned 20) => I'm assuming his 8 years until free agency would have started then => free agent at end of 2021.

Yes, his age surprised me. Yes, he was a young draftee, but:
2011 Rookie Draft, so he would have been just about to turn 18 at the time. Elevated to the senior list in April 2013 (i.e. just turned 20) => I'm assuming his 8 years until free agency would have started then => free agent at end of 2021.

I think it was more than his last deal was a 3 year deal, so he went from a 7 year player (out of contract non-FA) to a 10 year player (restricted FA). Free agency opens at 8 years

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
You reckon we would have gotten a third round pick for Laird?

Laird is surely on $1m+ more than Greenwood is at Gold Coast over the lengths of their contracts
I wouldn't think so.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think it was more than his last deal was a 3 year deal, so he went from a 7 year player (out of contract non-FA) to a 10 year player (restricted FA). Free agency opens at 8 years
Aha, you may be right. So, the clock starts ticking on free agency in your first year, whether it's on the rookie or senior list.

Edit: Also - so, his last (3 year) deal would have started 2019, when he had just turned 25 (Dec 2018). Which then exposed us to a free agency situation in 2021, when it takes another 5 year deal to keep him.

Would have been smarter to offer him 6 years in 2019 :D

Last edited:
May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
The players currently contracted to us for the 2023 season and beyond. So a full two seasons away

Rory Laird - 4 more years from start of 2023
Wayne Milera - 3 more years
Brodie Smith - 2 more years
Luke Brown - 1 more year
Rory Sloane - 1 more year
Chayce Jones - 1 more year
Harry Schoenberg - 1 more year

Aside from the two young guys at the bottom of the list, it just isn't a very exciting list to be honest
What a pointless exercise generating that list is, especially in the age of FA where players generally don’t re-sign or choose to leave until the final year of their contract. Doedee will be another to add to that list soon enough and I’m sure many others will follow.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
It doesn’t necessarily mean you lose players, it can impact on players coming in.
We should absolutely be looking to bring young players back now.
Which we already started with Hately last year and obviously Rankine/Luko are the big targets over the next couple. Good thing about last year is that we drafted the best local and also a couple of other very highly rated ones too.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Aha, you may be right. So, the clock starts ticking on free agency in your first year, whether it's on the rookie or senior list.
It really makes little difference, it's obvious his management had 5 year deals on the table from other AFL clubs...so it was either sign him for 5 or he walks.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It really makes little difference, it's obvious his management had 5 year deals on the table from other AFL clubs...so it was either sign him for 5 or he walks.
Oh for sure - just trying to clarify the technicalities of the situation, I thought "8 years" meant it started in 2013, but as Scorpus pointed out, he actually passed 8 years (from rookie draft) a couple of years ago but had already signed another contract.

I thought Laird wanted to leave the club, well that's what the media told us..

Take note Brad Crouch, loyalty...

Yes, take note, the man we forced out of the club, we are loyal to others.

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Everyone here bitches and whines about guys like mgGovern, lever and CC leaving. Yet Laird has shown loyalty to the club and never said anything bad about the club but still people complain about a 5 year deal.

show loyalty and you will be rewarded. He’s been a very good player for a long time and deserve everything he gets.Good luck Lairdy

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Meanwhile, what did everyone think of the bizarre Facebook announcement?
I loved it.
I did too.

Still have a way to go to match the social media efforts of the 36ers and Adelaide United mind you.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Whats with the 5 year deals for guys of his age???
It's what Free Agency has done to the league. Guys hitting their first FA at 26-28 years old, free to go wherever they like, of course they're gonna go for the biggest deal they can, it'll be the last time they can get one.

I mean, if Rory Atkins can get a 5 year deal you think someone isn't gonna offer the same or more to Laird? It's not a problem unless you poorly structure the deal and push the money to the end of the deal. Given the age profile of our list we should have no reason why we can't pay him heavily over his first 3 years and cut it way back in the final parts.

Back