Player Watch Rory Laird

Genuine question

Who was the last Crows player who had no question marks over his inclusion in the team at the age of 31 or later?

Doughty was pretty good right up until the end. It was the first half of his career where he underachieved.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Yep five years is too long.

Happy he is staying on, but three ie two year extension to see if this midfield move is truly effective.

Potential to get burned/Sloaned here....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
And the outcome is he walks?

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
If you're a dual AA before you hit free agency you will get at least a 5 year deal, weather it's your original club or a different one, 3 year deals for star players approaching free agency will pretty much be obsolete now.

This will be league wide, not just something the AFC will deal with.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
If you're a dual AA before you hit free agency you will get at least a 5 year deal, weather it's your original club or a different one, 3 year deals for star players approaching free agency will pretty much be obsolete now.

This is really a six year deal though, not many players get a contract through until 33 unless they are absolute guns.

I don't have a real problem with it but I think we had to probably settle on paying overs.

Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
I did too.

Still have a way to go to match the social media efforts of the 36ers and Adelaide United mind you.

The AFC social media team has been on point for the past 2 years. Very entertaining delivery.

Josh is just a tri-hard who tries to copy the Crows ideas and the Adelaide United guy is just a Port Adelaide douche bag.

Really bad take.

Five years does seem like a year too long.

I hope it's actually four years and a trigger for a fifth. He's been extremely durable at least, and can always fall back on his original HBF position (unlike Thommo and Douglas when they got old).

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
And the outcome is he walks?
Then he walks

In any negotiation/contract situation both sides must have a position where they say no deal - otherwise one party starts from a negative position. The AFC cant start negotiations based around '' but he might walk''

I am glad Laird signed and I am happy for him to play for us - I hope there are clauses where we as the AFC arent paying dead money

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is really a six year deal though, not many players get a contract through until 33 unless they are absolute guns.

I don't have a real problem with it but I think we had to probably settle on paying overs.
If the deal is front loaded I expect him to be traded at the back end of the deal. It may have been a smarter strategy to hold off on contract negotiations until we see how Pedlar, Berry and Schoenberg progress this year. If they star this season (Schoenberg has shown a lot already) that weakens Laird's bargaining position. We also will be getting a top 3 draft pick mid end of year (Horne I hope). Maybe Laird saw the writing on the wall and was the one that pushed to get it done now. Smart by him and his management if they didn't drop their price to get it done before the season starts. What also strengthened Laird's position was whether the club believed Crouch will take up free agency.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The AFC social media team has been on point for the past 2 years. Very entertaining delivery.

Josh is just a tri-hard who tries to copy the Crows ideas and the Adelaide United guy is just a Port Adelaide douche bag.

Really bad take.
And yet they're both better than the AFC guy, but not to worry.... You do a very good job too mate.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Then he walks

In any negotiation/contract situation both sides must have a position where they say no deal - otherwise one party starts from a negative position. The AFC cant start negotiations based around '' but he might walk''

I am glad Laird signed and I am happy for him to play for us - I hope there are clauses where we as the AFC arent paying dead money
Well it's pretty clear he baulked at the 3 years we put to him and his management initially according to media reports.

If the deal is front loaded I expect him to be traded at the back end of the deal. It may have been a smarter strategy to hold off on contract negotiations until we see how Pedlar, Berry and Schoenberg progress this year. If they star this season (Schoenberg has shown a lot already) that weakens Laird's bargaining position. We also will be getting a top 3 draft pick mid end of year (Horne I hope). Maybe Laird saw the writing on the wall and was the one that pushed to get it done now. Smart by him and his management if they didn't drop their price to get it done before the season starts. What also strengthened Laird's position was whether the club believed Crouch will take up free agency.

Agreed. I don't see the benefit on our end signing him early. Could have easily waited and I doubt his value would have risen in that time

Agreed. I don't see the benefit on our end signing him early. Could have easily waited and I doubt his value would have risen in that time
Depends how much we signed him for.

You would hope by guaranteeing him 5 years, it would be for a discounted amount & he also gets to stay at home.

Also, I gather would be lower with covid rates.

At this point, even if you're a painfully mediocre player, you can pick up 5 year deals through FA.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
There is no decent argument as to why this is bad business. Lot of wannabe list managers around.
There is plenty of decent argument as to why you do not give a 5 year deal to a 27 year old.

Wannabe list manager?

Are you suggesting our current list manager isn't a wannabe one?

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
At this point, even if you're a painfully mediocre player, you can pick up 5 year deals through FA.
Aidan Corr, Brandon Ellis and Rory Atkins got 5 year deals, CEY got 4. Zac Williams is turning 27 this year the the Blues had to give him a 6 year deal to get him over.

Back