Player Watch Rory Laird

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Aidan Corr, Brandon Ellis and Rory Atkins got 5 year deals, CEY got 4. Zac Williams is turning 27 this year the the Blues had to give him a 6 year deal to get him over.
From poorly run clubs.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
There is plenty of decent argument as to why you do not give a 5 year deal to a 27 year old.

Wannabe list manager?

Are you suggesting our current list manager isn't a wannabe one?
Even one as good as Laird ??

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
It's a year too long for mine, but if you're going to give any senior player on our list a 5 year deal its Laird.
The point being we shouldn't be giving 5 year deals to anyone over 24 at the stage we are at as a club.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The point being we shouldn't be giving 5 year deals to anyone over 24 at the stage we are at as a club.
Disagree, you pick the right ones.

That said, I wouldn't be giving out too many more. Maybe Crouch, that's it.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Disagree, you pick the right ones.

That said, I wouldn't be giving out too many more. Maybe Crouch, that's it.
Not at the moment, where we are at as a club. In essence Laird is now being paid by us until the end of 2026.

I certainly wouldn't entertain a 5 year deal to Matt Crouch. IMO if a Crouch was going to get 5 years at our club, it should have been Brad not Matt. Even then you wouldn't have done it due to Brad's injury history.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Not at the moment, where we are at as a club. In essence Laird is now being paid by us until the end of 2026.

I certainly wouldn't entertain a 5 year deal to Matt Crouch. IMO if a Crouch was going to get 5 years at our club, it should have been Brad not Matt. Even then you wouldn't have done it due to Brad's injury history.
Matt's been the better Crouch over the journey however he's the easier to replace.

You could probably give him 4 with slightly higher coin.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Matt's been the better Crouch over the journey however he's the easier to replace.

You could probably give him 4 with slightly higher coin.
Only due to durabilty. Brad has far more ability than what Matt does.

Matt should have been the one we tried to shop, not Brad.

Anyway, I digress, this thread is about Rory Laird after all.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Only due to durabilty. Brad has far more ability than what Matt does.

Matt should have been the one we tried to shop, not Brad.

Anyway, I digress, this thread is about Rory Laird after all.
His lack of durability means he can't do things he used to.

Could be, much of a muchness for me.

Matt is at least bankable in the role he plays. Use the top draft picks (including Pedlar last year) to bring in talented mids around him.

Brad there was always some bloody drama that rarely saw him playing like the AA quality mid he should have been.

On another note, Doedee's contract will be interesting. His durability is a major concern.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Matt is at least bankable in the role he plays. Use the top draft picks (including Pedlar last year) to bring in talented mids around him.

Brad there was always some bloody drama that rarely saw him playing like the AA quality mid he should have been.

On another note, Doedee's contract will be interesting. His durability is a major concern.
I'd say 3 with a trigger for 4. Durability is becoming a major worry.

Otherwise you'd hand him 5 no dramas.

We don't have that luxury. You pay up, or they go elsewhere. With our list profile, we have to be damn careful about giving up experienced players who can still perform at a high level.

We have certainly burnt our list down.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Sholl was a very, very happy man, sitting right next to the Desk. And we haven’t talked about this bit:

1614944677075.png

From poorly run clubs.

the ones that finished above us?

Back