Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows board:
"Why does everyone leave and never resign"
Also
"5 year deal.... too long... why sign him that long"

Yep, all players are directly equivalent.

If its bad to lose Dangerfield, we should want to re-sign spud McGee for top dollars.

I'd expect that now you've contracted him for six seasons that Adelaide has shifted four of the six years money into 2021 and 2022 so he is essentially playing for free in the last four years of this deal - allowing the crows to throw big cash at attracting new players from 2022 onwards.
You're probably giving our list management way too much credit haha

The players walking out over the years are having a secondary effect. Now every player knows it is so difficult for us to keep players that they can be more demanding. Using our desperation against us.

Really difficult to turn this ship around and I don't envy the current custodians.

Need three things to happen:
- Select good players in the draft (last year looking good, some iffy selections previously)
- Have good coaches for those players (starting.... NOW)
- Sign the youngest players up early to long term contracts (not yet)

Signing the older players to inflated, lengthy deals is a disaster. Will just continue the downward spiral.
The problem is we have no one to spend our cap on. And the off field are so conservative all they can think to do is re-sign what we have to bigger, longer contracts.

You look at sports all around the world, absolute s**t hole cities manage to attract gun players by simply offering over the odds. We are at that point where we can offer over the odds because we have no one worthy of big money on our list.

Laird... could do both knees and never play again and it would make no difference at all to the fortunes of the club. You'd barely notice.

Laird is a relatively one dimensional player who best plays a non-critical role three years past his best football.

Of course we gave him 5.

He’s a great player but his work out of the back line under pressure is the same every time: slam the ball on his foot and watch it fly up and clear the area to at best a 50/50

this may be a function of a lack of support from our other players but I’ve seen him do the same in the middle

i suspect we may not expect 5 years of service out of him, but we definitely need him for 3, so we deliberately overpaid. It won’t just be on-field, it will be off-field mentoring of quite a few kids

in fact, this season two highly-credentialed players are being moved from defense to midfield:

4DAB6ED5-6060-40CF-9D5C-353ED9E812D3.png

“The Age reported in September that Williams' asking price for the move from GWS to Carlton was a six-year contract worth more than $850,000 per season.”

I think it’s longer than we’ll need him, but we have salary cap capacity and a floor to reach, so I have no problem with this... providing he can show that value in the midfield

Genuine question

Who was the last Crows player who had no question marks over his inclusion in the team at the age of 31 or later?

I don't think the age is the issue, it's that we have a culture of playing them when injured at an age where they can no longer carry them and still perform at the level. We then use words like experience to beef up the output which is of droppable quality. Maybe if we got these guys right instead of playing them into the ground, we'd have some still contributing strongly into their 30s. Maybe not 22 games though, but if they miss half a dozen then thats games for kids.

That’s just ridiculous for a player of his caliber, where else is the money going with the youngest list in the comp? Guys like Thilthorpe are a couple of years away from potentially commanding much bigger contracts.

what’s ridiculous is not even asking the question of $, but still thinking it’s a great deal

years AND amount matter

There is plenty of decent argument as to why you do not give a 5 year deal to a 27 year old.

Wannabe list manager?

Are you suggesting our current list manager isn't a wannabe one?

It depends on the 27 year old. Taking someone through to 32 is not outrageous.

I understand that in recent years the media has made 30 the age of pseudo-retirement but the fact of the matter is, some people fall off a cliff, others don't. 32 is not a huge gamble.

Then there is the market value. If the reports are to be believed, if some clubs are willing to offer a player 4, or even 5, years then that's their value. You don't just get to buy a house for 450k because that's what you believe it's worth. If someone wants to pay 600k for it then that's what it is now worth.

As for the notion that the price was too high for us ($ or length) well weigh that against the damage to the list. You can't just shed all of your senior players - there isn't a demonstrable example of this happening in a successful way. Some clever accounting (though I have not seen the deal) can also mean the last couple of years of the deal he is playing for much less money. The kind of money he might get on one year contracts a la Dmac.

If you can make a reasonable argument as to why it is bad then keep trying but I just can't see one that is substantiated with evidence rather than stereotype and prejudice.

From poorly run clubs.

Which is us, at least that's the recent history being used when considering options. Maybe in 2 or 3 years we'll be a club that gets players staying for unders and our FAs signing 3-4 year deals. But we're not close to being that yet. We might well have the right building blocks in place though.

It's a year too long for mine, but if you're going to give any senior player on our list a 5 year deal its Laird.

I can deal with one year too long, which is why I've no problem with Tex's contract. It's a shame his body packed up on him, but in reality, this is really his only risky year. Laird will be fine over the duration, his skill set would transition to the forward half as well. Really just want him wherever there's a contest to be won and as he ages, that can be less in the middle and more forward or back again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say 3 with a trigger for 4. Durability is becoming a major worry.

Otherwise you'd hand him 5 no dramas.

I hand Doedee 5 at his age in a heartbeat. 2 good years in the SANFL followed by a completed season and then an ACL. Decent hammy, but that's nowhere near enough of a reason to see his type and quality exit the club at 24 years of age.

5 year deals. What could possibly go wrong?

Why do we keep doing this? I’m ok with 4 years but we seem to get bitten with 5 years.

He is an Adelaide boy, he was never going anywhere else ffs! I don’t care if he seemingly had other approaches, he was going nowhere.

Can live with it if predominantly performance based and front loaded.

Last edited:
Everyone here bitches and whines about guys like mgGovern, lever and CC leaving. Yet Laird has shown loyalty to the club and never said anything bad about the club but still people complain about a 5 year deal.

show loyalty and you will be rewarded. He’s been a very good player for a long time and deserve everything he gets.Good luck Lairdy

on what basis Loyalty? Just accepting our offer isn’t loyal, now it may turn out to be but at this stage we don’t know

Why do we keep doing this? I’m ok with 4 years but we seem to get bitten with 5 years.

He is an Adelaide boy, he was never going anywhere else ffs! I don’t care if he seemingly had other approaches, he was going nowhere.

Can live with it if predominantly performance based and front loaded.
The missus is from Melbourne, spooked us.

on what basis Loyalty? Just accepting our offer isn’t loyal, now it may turn out to be but at this stage we don’t know
My opinion is he’s a home town boy that’s been a good player who never has shown any indication of wanting to leave. He’s happy to be here and always talks highly about the club. Happy in Adelaide and happy at crows.
Loyalty works both way

My opinion is he’s a home town boy that’s been a good player who never has shown any indication of wanting to leave. He’s happy to be here and always talks highly about the club. Happy in Adelaide and happy at crows.
Loyalty works both way

See, this is a perfect example of 'identify the problem, suggest the wrong solution'. The trick isnt to develop a culture of cronyist loyalty where people get rewarded above merit

The solution is to develop a club which players want to stay at because it gives them the best chance of success. That is far more likely to assist in player retention than 'loyalty'.

If anything our 'loyalty' to non elite senior players has cost us in the retention stakes.

He’s a great player

He legitimately hasnt been for three full seasons now.

His insistence on accumulating soft ball coupled with entirely non-damaging disposal has been a significant part of our downfall, and is part of the reason why our forward line hasnt stood a chance.

His insistence on accumulating soft ball coupled with entirely non-damaging disposal has been a significant part of our downfall, and is part of the reason why our forward line hasnt stood a chance.
He was in line with the to be dropped early last season, his disposal was always rushed and his decision making was terrible. His move to the midfield was good but he still needs big improvement on that.

I'm glad we threw him into the midfield to get him to earn the ball, seemed to work.

See, this is a perfect example of 'identify the problem, suggest the wrong solution'. The trick isnt to develop a culture of cronyist loyalty where people get rewarded above merit

The solution is to develop a club which players want to stay at because it gives them the best chance of success. That is far more likely to assist in player retention than 'loyalty'.

If anything our 'loyalty' to non elite senior players has cost us in the retention stakes.
You are right in some way, like 1 year deals for 30 year olds. Only problem is free agency has destroyed that, look at Isaac Smith. He is a Hawks legend, was offered first a 1 year deal by them (later a 2 year deal)but still left for another club.
All the power now is with the players and if they don’t like the deal, they leave.
Out of interest, how much would Laird be on?? I don’t think it would be that much

Remove this Banner Ad

Back