Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad we threw him into the midfield to get him to earn the ball, seemed to work.

Too small a sample for me to be comfortable handing out long term contracts off the back of.

Five years is almost always questionable unless you’re Michael Jordan.

We all love Rory but there’s just no need for this. Three and then re-assessing when he’s 30 would’ve been perfect.

Last edited:
Five years is almost always questionable unless you’re Michael Jordan.

We all love Rory but there’s just no need for this. Three and then re-assessing when he’s 30 would’ve been perfect.
So you're prepared to let him walk because he's not accepting a 3 year deal?

Saad and Williams ??

We're on the bottom of the ladder, he'd have been given a 5 year deal in a heartbeat elsewhere.

Both starting their new contracts as 26 year olds. Laird will be 28. I doubt he would have gotten a six year deal like Williams, and if he did I would have gladly accepted the top 5 pick in free agency compensation

If you’re a club who can’t sell a three-year deal to a 27yo half back then you’ve got far bigger problems than signing Rory Laird.
Nope, you're the one that's got it wrong...think you need to do some research on quality players and free agency in 2021.

Nobody is selling Laird a 3 year deal when he's got 5 years on offer elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, you're the one that's got it wrong...think you need to do some research on quality players and free agency in 2021.

Nobody is selling Laird a 3 year deal when he's got 5 years on offer elsewhere.

Yeah you’re right, it’s served us really well in the past.

Personally I’m really looking forward to how Josh Jenkins goes this year, the last year of the five-year contract we gave him. Do you think we’ll play him up forward alongside Fog or use him more in the ruck?

Personally I’m really looking forward to how Josh Jenkins goes this year, the last year of the five-year contract we gave him. Do you think we’ll play him up forward alongside Fog or use him more in the ruck?
All of which is irrelevant if you want Laird playing in a Crows guernsey for the next 3 years.

All of which is irrelevant if you want Laird playing in a Crows guernsey for the next 3 years.

The fact we might’ve lost him is not a point in favour of your argument. We have players lording over-sized contracts over us because we’re a s**t club in a very weak bargaining position.

Crouch did it. Keath did it. Greenwood did it.

Try and get the point through your head.

The fact we might’ve lost him is not a point in favour of your argument. We have players lording over-sized contracts over us because we’re a sh*t club in a very weak bargaining position.

Crouch did it. Keath did it. Greenwood did it.

Try and get the point through your head.

2021 Free Agency reality...27 year old Jeremy Cameron

Geelong offered Cameron a five-year deal worth $950,000 a season, which dwarfed the Giants’ initial offer to keep their key forward of $750,000 over five years.

2021 Free Agency reality...27 year old Jeremy Cameron

Geelong offered Cameron a five-year deal worth $950,000 a season, which dwarfed the Giants’ initial offer to keep their key forward of $750,000 over five years.

You've outdone yourself. Laird is Jeremy Cameron :D

Bravo. Superb.

You've outdone yourself. Laird is Jeremy Cameron :D

Bravo. Superb.
You'rethe one saying Rory Laird is Jeremy Cameron not me....all I'm saying is he was never accepting a 3 year deal from us when he could get 5 elsewhere likely on better coin.

And by the way they're both 27 and 2 x All Australians.

Pete's been outpointed yet won't give up.

You love to see it

I can deal with one year too long, which is why I've no problem with Tex's contract. It's a shame his body packed up on him, but in reality, this is really his only risky year. Laird will be fine over the duration, his skill set would transition to the forward half as well. Really just want him wherever there's a contest to be won and as he ages, that can be less in the middle and more forward or back again.

It's why I wanted us to keep Laird. Solid player, locks a part of our cap away and prevents us from needing to recruit senior players to fill that void, and he can get out of the way of the kids when they begin to take hold of the midfield.

If you’re a club who can’t sell a three-year deal to a 27yo half back then you’ve got far bigger problems than signing Rory Laird.

Welcome to the world of free agency dude.

Utterly forgettable players such as Atkins, and Corr got 5 year contracts from this process in 2020.

Are you suggesting Laird is likely to no longer be within the best 22.

Also, you appear to be ignoring how much he signed for. As likely to be well under free agency market rates.

It's easy to have simple thinking when having no details on the deal...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back