Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

Coniglio 7?
Buddy 10
Grundy 7

cant remember many others
Think GWS may have a few... which has probably cost them losing some players.

Does anyone at Richmond have a 5 year deal? Can't think of anyone.

You have completely missed the point of my original post.. wake up Jeff

Laird didn't shop him self around, didn't wait until the final week of trades to add pressure to the club and accepted a 5 year deal that was likely unders per year. He could've asked other clubs what they are willing to offer and upped his pay per season.. but he chose to stay at the club long term.

Not sure if you watched the game yesterday, but I personally can't see a glimmer of hope and I wouldn't be staying long term.. he should be chasing glory.. so just incase you have forgotten what loyalty looks like, Laird and Smithers are examples. Take note.

We are no longer a good team, so loyalty no now calculated by staying.. it's a sh*t show and I don't blame people leaving

Does that not indicate we capitulated to his demands, or also thought they were fair?

We've paid a 5 year deal and odds are because of our position, we've probably paid the amount he wants. After all, as you say, Laird would have no issues finding employment elsewhere. I wouldn't be using Rory as a bastion of loyalty. If he was, he would have signed the deal we wanted him to, not the fair one.

I don't particularly have any issues with paying that price to Laird, providing it isn't ridiculous. He's versatile, and does fit the system Nicks wants to build (which isn't something I feel too confident in saying about our other out of contract 'star' mid). That's the only difference between Rory and Brad. We saw Rory as a player we could rebuild around, we did not with Brad.

Boy oh Boy, you believe a media report.. Laird was never leaving Adelaide, load of crap that report. Another cheap shot at Adelaide.

Of course he would have, if we didn't come to the party.

If we stayed with our offer of 3 years, Rory would be wearing another teams colours in 2022 and we'd have another draft pick to play with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Coniglio 7?
Buddy 10
Grundy 7

cant remember many others
All these signed 5+ year deals in the last 10 years...

Josh Kelly
Lachie Whitfield
Andrew Gaff
Tim Kelly
Scott Lycett
Adam Treloar
Brad Crouch
Lachie Neale
Taylor Adams
Tom Boyd
Nat Fyfe
Michael Hurley
Callan Ward
Steele Sidebottom
Dyson Heppell
Trent Cotchin
Joel Selwood
Bret Deledio
Jack Martin
Nic Naitanui
Phil Davis
Dustin Martin
Jayden Stephenson
Jack Viney
Jack Crisp
Paddy Ryder

All these signed 5+ year deals in the last 10 years...

Josh Kelly
Lachie Whitfield
Andrew Gaff
Tim Kelly
Scott Lycett
Adam Treloar
Brad Crouch
Lachie Neale
Taylor Adams
Tom Boyd
Nat Fyfe
Michael Hurley
Callan Ward
Steele Sidebottom
Dyson Heppell
Trent Cotchin
Joel Selwood
Bret Deledio
Jack Martin
Nic Naitanui
Phil Davis
Dustin Martin
Jayden Stephenson
Jack Viney
Jack Crisp
Paddy Ryder
Don't forget absolute superstar defender Aidan Corr

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It wasn't too long ago people here were calling to trade out Laird and take anything they could get. Line up one and all with your second and third round picks.
He came off one average season where teams had worked out that he was the driving force from half back for the Crows and tries to tag him out of the game.
Now BF posters are known for jumping on early to call players the next big thing, and jumping off early after one average game.
Laird has shown juat how good he is. Off half back, in the middle, he's a little freak.
Time to own up those who wanted to cut him loose.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Ever since we moved across to the Australian Highball League, Lairdy has been fundamental to our success.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He was always going to be a good midfielder.

Certainly not a gun, but he's performed well so far.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Yes he is doing well, great to see

But wasn’t most of the concern about the contract length, running until end of 2026?

I’m not sure 8 games into 2021 is the right time to be claiming vindication.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He was always going to be a good midfielder.

Certainly not a gun, but he's
performed well so far.

This is the thing for me.

He can gather possessions but he's not getting the most out of his possessions, as a result he doesn't impact a game as much as I'd like.

He can have a monster stats game but it generally has very little impact on the flow of the game.

He's very quick of the mark and agile, so he can get to the ball, but then can't really burst away or nail guys with the pass.

He's not the future of our midfield and he shouldn't be the player you build your midfield around. He is good support cast.

As a result, I would absolutely still trade him if the right deal came along.

We could get something decent which we could put to very good use in a rebuilding era.

I'm not knocking him, but we've never been brave enough to trade when player values are high and then complain when they become old and don't perform, ie Lynch and Jenkins. We need to be smarter and more ruthless with some of these calls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back