Lance Cairns Six Sixes

Remove this Banner Ad

Where were you when this awesome event happened? I was back in primary school practicing my Lance Cairns swings.

Would have been in backyard playing on our own backyard pitch with radio on listening to it as we played. Probably taking turns trying to bowl in Lillee style one minute and Richard Hadlee the next. Those guys really taught you how to bowl, just by trying to mimic what they did.
Cairns was using a different style of bat to the standard bat of that time. Thickness more like what they use today. Some of those sixes like one where hand comes off handle much like watching Warner mistime a hook shot badly and still flies over the fence. Kiwis well and truly gone by this stage so just a bit of late innings entertainment when game already lost.

This was a time when cricket schedules were more balanced so one dayers like this you not have 30 to 40 of in a year like they cram now between 100 million T20's. So virtually every ODI teams picked their full strength side and none of this rotation where 2 to 4 players of your best side out most games to keep them rotating throughout the 5 million white ball cricket games there is throughout a normal year now.
You never get crowds like this to ODI's now apart from World Cup due to fact rare to have ODI's of best side v best side from each nation.
I miss the old schedules.
6 Tests in a summer, 10 to 12 ODI's and rest of year might have 6 more Tests overseas and about 10 more ODI's at best. Which meant players got time off to mentally and physically refresh so you got to see more games of players and teams as close to full strength as possible.

Would have been in backyard playing on our own backyard pitch with radio on listening to it as we played. Probably taking turns trying to bowl in Lillee style one minute and Richard Hadlee the next. Those guys really taught you how to bowl, just by trying to mimic what they did.
Cairns was using a different style of bat to the standard bat of that time. Thickness more like what they use today. Some of those sixes like one where hand comes off handle much like watching Warner mistime a hook shot badly and still flies over the fence. Kiwis well and truly gone by this stage so just a bit of late innings entertainment when game already lost.

This was a time when cricket schedules were more balanced so one dayers like this you not have 30 to 40 of in a year like they cram now between 100 million T20's. So virtually every ODI teams picked their full strength side and none of this rotation where 2 to 4 players of your best side out most games to keep them rotating throughout the 5 million white ball cricket games there is throughout a normal year now.
You never get crowds like this to ODI's now apart from World Cup due to fact rare to have ODI's of best side v best side from each nation.
I miss the old schedules.
6 Tests in a summer, 10 to 12 ODI's and rest of year might have 6 more Tests overseas and about 10 more ODI's at best. Which meant players got time off to mentally and physically refresh so you got to see more games of players and teams as close to full strength as possible.

We used to play cricket in the driveway with a tennis ball and a bin for the stumps, if you hit it over the footpath across the road that was a six, our neighbours across the road weren't too happy with us constantly hitting tennis balls into their front gardens.

ODIs back then were so much better than they are these days with bigger crowds and more exciting finishes, they had better characters back then too like Dennis Lillee, Richard Hadlee, Lance Cairns, Viv Richards, Allan Border and Ian Botham, guys that kids all wanted to be like and would try and copy.

We used to play cricket in the driveway with a tennis ball and a bin for the stumps, if you hit it over the footpath across the road that was a six, our neighbours across the road weren't too happy with us constantly hitting tennis balls into their front gardens.

ODIs back then were so much better than they are these days with bigger crowds and more exciting finishes, they had better characters back then too like Dennis Lillee, Richard Hadlee, Lance Cairns, Viv Richards, Allan Border and Ian Botham, guys that kids all wanted to be like and would try and copy.
Yeah, that the most standard backyard. We sometimes played with tennis ball but when I could, played with cricket ball, with pads and all...lol..
Bowled on the grass, even remember tried to curate the pitch once... but when no one else around to play, just practiced bowling with cricket ball and enjoyed learning how to swing and cut it, as much like Lillee and Hadlee as possible. They had the dream bowling action and overall technique. * practicing Lance akward bowling action,, ha ha.. I think I tried them all out, Lillee, Hadlee, Holding, Roberts, Imran Khan, Garth Le Roux, Colin Croft...lol, Chook action, Bob Willis, Jeff Thomson, Rodney Hogg, Geoff Lawson, * trying Max Walker or Mike Proctor too.. ******* akward weird leg positions.. Stick to Lillee, Hadlee and Alderman if you smart. I think my action became a mixture of theirs as I tended to be able to bowl outswing easily. Allan Donald of next generation another classic action youngsters should have tried to mimic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back