Toast Lance Franklin - do you remember him more as a Hawk or Swan?

Do you remember Lance Franklin more as a

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lockett's career was also far more biased toward Saints than Swans, he was 11 years at Saints and 5 years at Swans but still I would think most under 40s would think of him as more Swan than Saint. As time goes on that perception just gets stronger.

Franklin is close to 50/50 between the clubs.
A lot of Lockett's time at St Kilda was away from TV with the occasional 30 minute highlights on a Saturday night

Last edited:
The reason you don’t see a lot of Lockett highlights other than his 1300th (and the Essendon prelim behind) is because his highlight reel is pretty boring - it’s 15m lead > chest mark 40m out > regulation drop punt. He’d just regularly do it 10 times a game

Franklin did the spectacular. And most of the best ones were in the Hawks jumper.

He’s still got dozens of Sydney highlights that would be the best thing most players ever do, but post-2016 (probably 2014) he was athletically in decline.

Those Hooker goals, or the hurdling goal, or the Pies prelim goal, will be played forever. Nothing he did in a Swans jumper was individually as spectacular.

I’ll always think of him as a Swan. I don’t think most fans will though.

The reason you don’t see a lot of Lockett highlights other than his 1300th (and the Essendon prelim behind) is because his highlight reel is pretty boring - it’s 15m lead > chest mark 40m out > regulation drop punt. He’d just regularly do it 10 times a game

Franklin did the spectacular. And most of the best ones were in the Hawks jumper.

He’s still got dozens of Sydney highlights that would be the best thing most players ever do, but post-2016 (probably 2014) he was athletically in decline.

Those Hooker goals, or the hurdling goal, or the Pies prelim goal, will be played forever. Nothing he did in a Swans jumper was individually as spectacular.

I’ll always think of him as a Swan. I don’t think most fans will though.
Underselling Plugger a bit there. I'd say his highlight reel is impacted by the lack of wall to wall TV coverage like he get now.

Franklin more spectacular of course but Plugger was a lot more than what you described here.

Put another way, where does buddy rank all time in each club if you ignore he played at another team.

I’ve certainly got matthews dunstall Hudson snr in front of him at the hawks then it gets debatable

Underselling Plugger a bit there. I'd say his highlight reel is impacted by the lack of wall to wall TV coverage like he get now.

Franklin more spectacular of course but Plugger was a lot more than what you described here.
Put another way, where does buddy rank all time in each club if you ignore he played at another team.

I’ve certainly got matthews dunstall Hudson snr in front of him at the hawks then it gets debatable

He’s our best forward and only obviously behind Skilton and Goodes in terms of best ever players imo.

There needs to be a "both" option.

4 All Australians at both clubs, 2 Coleman medals at both clubs.

Yes he won two flags for the Hawks and none at the Swans, but he also kicked his 1000th goal in Swans colours, and I know from history that Tony Lockett's most replayed moment was his 1300th goal so it will likely be Buddy's too.

He accomplished way too much at both clubs to say he will be remembered as a Hawk or Swan.
[/QUOTE
He kicked the last 100 goal season with us. I'd argue that's about as memorable as the 1000th. He probably kicked more miraculous goals and had slightly more impact as a Hawks player. Would have kicked more with us had he not missed alot of shots too. He was more marketable at Sydney and a better mark. Not alot between both clubs TBH. Was brilliant for both

I mean I am biased so Lockett.

Its an interesting take though in regards to Sydney.
I would argue Lockett's signing was the most important signing in Sydney's modern history he made them relevant again.
But Buddy played the better footy at Sydney
Disagree. He's goal average for each club would tell you he was slightly better for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks and easily. I appreciate what he’s done for us but his best years were with Hawthorn. Still a farce he didn’t go close to the Brownlow that 08 year I think it was.
You are hardly a credible source of opinion in this. I guess being a former Essendon supporter though who Prime Buddy dined out on you would say Hawks I suppose.

As I said, the greats are generally even limited to just one or two iconic clips that get played years down the line on repeat when discussing them.

Even Ablett Snr and Carey are generally just defined by 1 or 2 clips these days and they were human highlight reels.

If I was to guess it will be:

1. His 1000th goal
2. Hooker goal

As the two that get played in 10-20 years when talking about him on TV shows. Depending on the order of those two clips will determine if he is remembered as a Swan or Hawk, it's that simple.

Not his 13 goals against.... hrmmmm ?

As I said, the greats are generally even limited to just one or two iconic clips that get played years down the line on repeat when discussing them.

Even Ablett Snr and Carey are generally just defined by 1 or 2 clips these days and they were human highlight reels.

If I was to guess it will be:

1. His 1000th goal
2. Hooker goal

As the two that get played in 10-20 years when talking about him on TV shows. Depending on the order of those two clips will determine if he is remembered as a Swan or Hawk, it's that simple.
I reckon his hurdle goal is better than either of those highlights.

Lockett or Franklin?
Sorry don’t know why that first post was quoted.

I meant Franklin.

Lockett came in and dominated for four and a bit years (will pretend 2002 didn’t happen)

Franklin was our spearhead for a decade. Same number of Colemans as Lockett in his time at the club, 1 more All Australian, 2 more time leading our goal kicking. Took us to three grand finals. 4x 50+ goal seasons after turning 30.

Disagree. He's goal average for each club would tell you he was slightly better for us.
I think he was saying Buddy played better footy for Sydney than Lockett did.

On the goal average... Franklin's early years at the Hawks were during a time where key forwards were kicking higher scores. He also average more Brownlow votes at Sydney so I'm not sure it's as clear cut as some think.

Having said that I reckon his 2008 season weighs where he played his best footy in Hawthorns favour. Just. Had an incredible run at both clubs.

898 for Saints, 462 for Swans. Much of his time at St Kilda was when it was the old VFL, before the national comp too, when the care factor was far lower outside Victoria.

Noone care in NSW either.

12k to 15k at the games until at least the mid 90s. The public transport melted down if 20k went. Until the Olympic Games infrastructure started being built.

Back