Society/Culture Landlords - What is the point?

Remove this Banner Ad

No you said social housing that is different from community housing

The Vic government plan doesn't increase public housing stock, it at best replaces existing stock but with years of reduced stock first

It also gives access to public land for developers to make a profit off selling housing

It is like most housing policy announced around the country to "deal" with the crisis largely an excuse to subsidize private developer profits at the very real cost of public assets and support for people who actually need it

It is s**t and it's why Vic ALP members are trying to get it changed into a slightly better policy

Your other point on private sector tiny housing via removal of red tape is also crappy neoliberal style policy where you make it easier for developers to profit by reducing regulations but don't guarantee an actual outcome that helps people

Tiny houses are not houses they've really caravans

Your solution to the housing crisis is expensive caravans for the poors via private profits

It's saying poor people don't deserve a real home
Now your just making up stuff.

My solution you said: "neo liberal style policy ... for developer profit"... couldnt be further from the truth. The 'rules' associated with relaxing permits, effectively excludes the development industry. ie you cant subdivide, you cant sell do you understand that? How are developers going to get involved? How are they going to profit

No it doesnt increase public housing stock I agree, it increases affordable housing outcomes within the social housing sector.

I think you maybe confusing the debate with the redevelopment of the old public housing towers in south yarra, Kensington etc.

Have you any solutions? I do, its simple, pay more tax, allocate to social housing sector, or redirect existing tax base

More public housing definitely required for those battling in need but it would be nice if there was actually some consequences for those that just abuse it by continually engage in antisocial behaviour, repeatedly vandalise the property and graffiti the neighbourhood.
We need way more built but also a better vetting process for who gets them. Poor lady at work stressing like mad being evicted when she works (not great money but puts an honest shift in), too old to get a mortgage so stuck. Deserves help

Yet on my street, one of 2 public housing I have never seen in anything but pyjamas. Outside smoking whenever you drive by no matter the time of day/night. Never worked. It's just so wrong to me people use the system to not try yet get looked after while we let down those trying their best.

Probably going halves with my brother in a block of land. The direction the city is growing, this land will be needed within a decade and could fit 25-30 houses on it. If we can see that and plan ahead to use it, why the * isn't the government or council not buying it and start building now...

I don't care in the slightest whether they are working or not, people still need a roof over their heads but I don't think it's too much to respect it a bit and not completely trash the place along with the neighbourhood.

It's very obvious that once somebody is in one they can just do whatever they want and it's virtually impossible to be kicked out.

And yep it's very sad that people desperately needing some help with one sit on a wait list.

Edit

https://thewest.com.au/politics/sta...in-property-damage-and-unpaid-rent-c-10844102

I don't care in the slightest whether they are working or not, people still need a roof over their heads but I don't think it's too much to respect it a bit and not completely trash the place along with the neighbourhood.

It's very obvious that once somebody is in one they can just do whatever they want and it's virtually impossible to be kicked out.

And yep it's very sad that people desperately needing some help with one sit on a wait list.

Edit

https://thewest.com.au/politics/sta...in-property-damage-and-unpaid-rent-c-10844102
I'm not sure if it's actually done, but public housing should have 6 monthly inspections imo. The tenants should pay for any accidental or malicious damage caused by them. If there is damage from wear and tear then the government should pay to repair it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back