Landscape Gardening

Remove this Banner Ad

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm a fit 33 year old and need a change from retail work, and into something more fulfilling. Hands on work is the type of work I enjoy the most and good at, having done a fair bit of hobby work as well. I am thinking of doing some volunteer work at a landscape gardening business to see if I am suitable and enjoy the work. But before I do, can anyone here tell me if there is consistent work in the industry or am I likely to be fighting for a pay check every week?
Is there any landscape gardeners here that can send me in the right direction.

Last edited:
I have managed to gain experience in the field starting after Christmas. The weather has been pretty good so far and the hours are pumping through. I expect it will all change with winter. I really enjoy it at the moment and would like to start my own business one day.

Have you had any work offered to you?
Look into Horticulture, Bobcat, Excavator and Heavy rigid. Hope you like mud.

Im 28 and doing a mature age apprenticeship in landscaping. Its more landscape construction but most companies have a maintenance team too. I really enjoy it. Nearly finished my first year and its got a good variety of everything from building timber structures, plumbing and some electrical for outdoor lights ect. Plus plants and all that. I was a mental health nurse and wanted to do something new. The money at the moment isnt great but you do get more being older.

Im 28 and doing a mature age apprenticeship in landscaping. Its more landscape construction but most companies have a maintenance team too. I really enjoy it. Nearly finished my first year and its got a good variety of everything from building timber structures, plumbing and some electrical for outdoor lights ect. Plus plants and all that. I was a mental health nurse and wanted to do something new. The money at the moment isnt great but you do get more being older.

Congrats on the change, takes balls!

If you want a consistent career and a secure wage then apprenticeship is the best option or become licensed to run machinery..

Labouring hire companies can find you casual work in the sector as well...

It's not easy on the body if it's mainly digging work if you're not the one operating machinery etc but if you really like it then go for it..

Choose the sub sector you enjoy though..

I personally prefer back yard planting, mowing and the gardening side of the industry from the experience I had..

Which is the small scale side of the industry..

I worked in the city doing some back yard planting as an assistant labourer and retaining walls etc and that was so fun I didn't consider it a job, I didn't even care about the money I liked it that much because you worked in a rich area and it was just a joy..the team was small and they were so nice to work for, it was amazing..

But I'm in a different industry now.

If you want a consistent career and a secure wage then apprenticeship is the best option or become licensed to run machinery..

Labouring hire companies can find you casual work in the sector as well...

It's not easy on the body if it's mainly digging work if you're not the one operating machinery etc but if you really like it then go for it..

Choose the sub sector you enjoy though..

I personally prefer back yard planting, mowing and the gardening side of the industry from the experience I had..

Which is the small scale side of the industry..

I worked in the city doing some back yard planting as an assistant labourer and retaining walls etc and that was so fun I didn't consider it a job, I didn't even care about the money I liked it that much because you worked in a rich area and it was just a joy..the team was small and they were so nice to work for, it was amazing..

But I'm in a different industry now.
You will find many of those companies requiring people of trades are unfortunately going the labour hire way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back