Laptop Recommendation

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hi All,

Buying a new laptop, have narrowed it down to two options, and don't know whether I'm better going the stronger CPU with integrated GFX, or the weaker CPU with better GFX card.

Can someone who knows what they're talking about provide some guidance? ;)

R7 4800h with integrated GFX

OR

R7 3700u with Vega 10 GFX

Cheers,

Last edited:

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Are you aware of the supposed privacy/data issues supposedly surrounding Huawei products? If that possibility doesn’t bother you, then I can recommend them as they make solid PCs.

If you’re not keen on a Macbook, then a Thinkpad is what I’d personally go with. I don’t trust other retail laptops in terms of medium-long term performance.

Otherwise, look at enterprise/ex-Government models if you’re after something reliable.

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi All,

Buying a new laptop, have narrowed it down to two options, and don't know whether I'm better going the stronger CPU with integrated GFX, or the weaker CPU with better GFX card.

Can someone who knows what they're talking about provide some guidance? ;)

R7 4800h with integrated GFX

OR

R7 3700u with Vega 10 GFX

Cheers,

but surely you have to give some info about the work required to be done on this laptop because if it is
- CPU intensive then lean towards beefy CPU
- while if it's graphics intensive then naturally an integrated GFX is not advisable (in other words lean towards discrete beefy GPU)
(when i say graphics intensive, I don't necessarily mean high frame rate in CoD...it could be a pyro simulation in Houdini that's taking advantage of thousands of cuda cores on the GTX card)

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
70% just general usage; emails, excel, word processing, etc.

20% CAD work, but mostly 2D and nothing too intense.

10% gaming - but again, nothing too intensive.

Based on that, either will eat up the basic usage, but separate video card probably better for the last 30%, right?

It's a work PC, and I prefer to purchase for 3-5 year lifespan, so keen to get something good.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
70% just general usage; emails, excel, word processing, etc.

20% CAD work, but mostly 2D and nothing too intense.

10% gaming - but again, nothing too intensive.

Based on that, either will eat up the basic usage, but separate video card probably better for the last 30%, right?

It's a work PC, and I prefer to purchase for 3-5 year lifespan, so keen to get something good.
the 70% I think anything will do

the CAD work I'd def lean towards a discrete GFX card.

So if you make sure you can do the work and earn money then budget should be less of a problem later on

Need to get myself a new laptop as will be working from home more. Don’t need it for gaming more just for documents etc both home and work

I’ve been told HP Envy is good but I’m just not sure what the difference between the two is - could I please have some feedback - I have no clue whatsoever - I just want it to be quick and able to connect remotely without it checking out all the time

010A90E0-04F7-4EFF-AC80-66F0EC0F27F8.jpeg
74B5CDF1-2ED0-4DA9-AEF2-EC279F1FAED1.jpeg

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Need to get myself a new laptop as will be working from home more. Don’t need it for gaming more just for documents etc both home and work

I’ve been told HP Envy is good but I’m just not sure what the difference between the two is - could I please have some feedback - I have no clue whatsoever - I just want it to be quick and able to connect remotely without it checking out all the time

View attachment 1335618View attachment 1335619
Purely based on the specs in those images the first one is the better device, the positive the 2nd one has in it's "convertible" and has a touchscreen, which may or may not be relevant for you.

Purely based on the specs in those images the first one is the better device, the positive the 2nd one has in it's "convertible" and has a touchscreen, which may or may not be relevant for you.

Thank you

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

I'll ignore the 1 star from 1 person...

have you worked with a 13.3in before ? coz it sounds tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny. If you have and it fits your needs then fine, just that ppl used to desktops and "normal" monitor(s) then start using a laptop, even at 17in comes as a shock

have you worked with a 13.3in before ? coz it sounds tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny. If you have and it fits your needs then fine, just that ppl used to desktops and "normal" monitor(s) then start using a laptop, even at 17in comes as a shock

It would be connected to “normal” monitors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

At 1080 and as a casual device 13.3" is fine, I wouldn't want to spend whole days on one though. My work laptop is a 14" and it's perfectly usable by itself for a while.

aussiefooty

Carn the mighty roos!
I reneged on a bet or agreement :( Chess Club Member
Jun 7, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos Geelong
Get an Apple Macbook.
They are great because you can charge your iphone as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back