Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Hurst could probably be seen as average but he was being double teamed a lot. He should have it easier now with Collins coming in.

I think Hurst is slightly above average. He could have a big 3rd year leap which would do wonders for our D Line.

Mullen, Crosby, Hurst and Ferrell are the four guys id like to see a jump from. And if Abram shows anything to suggest he can be a solid starter, then we are going good there too.

Just found this. A bit surprised.

Hurst had a solid rookie season for Oakland in 2018, posting a 70.4 overall grade on 472 defensive snaps. He was even better this past season, particularly as a pass rusher. Among 61 interior defenders with 250 or more pass-rushing snaps in the 2019 regular season, Hurst ranked sixth in pass-rush win rate (15.1%) and seventh in pressure rate (12.0%). He started to build on some of that dominant pass-rushing ability that we saw at Michigan, and another step forward in his third year could mean big things for his future as one of the top names at the position for seasons to come.

the Raiders have generated $549 million in PSL money, which is more than double the original projection of $250 million. All of the PSL money is being put back into the construction cost of Allegiant Stadium, which is scheduled to open for the 2020 season.
the influx of cash due to PSL's will allow the Raiders to add more features to the stadium, including more suites, a 26,000-square-foot field-level club, upgraded fixtures and enhanced internet connection.

Of those who bought a PSL, 60 percent are from Nevada and 40 percent are from outside the state. Per Akers, roughly 7,000 fans who had Raiders season tickets in Oakland purchased a PSL for Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas.

former Raiders wide receiver Jordy Nelson was asked about the mainstream media narrative that Gruden and Carr don’t get along.

you see Gruden on the sideline where I assume if it was mic’d up, there would be a lot of beeping going on and you really wouldn’t understand what he was saying,” said Nelson. “And Derek is a more of a calmer, obviously Christian dude that is not gonna cuss anyone out or do anything like that. So I think their two demeanors and personalities might clash. But they honestly get along great. I mean, it’s a good balance.

“There’s a couple times when I was there they got a little fiery at each other,” Nelson added. “But that happens with everyone … The one thing I think that works great with those two, Derek is extremely smart and puts in so much time and work that he can handle everything that Gruden’s throwing at him.

Larrybrownsports.com

According to mercury news.com

The Raiders’ business economics are on track thanks to a healthy hotel tax to help finance the stadium. The football operation is working with a common vision. Mark Davis is on the verge of achieving stability in Las Vegas that would have been a yearly struggle in Oakland.

I thought those hotels have been closed for months and therefore no room tax coming in.

According to mercury news.com

The Raiders’ business economics are on track thanks to a healthy hotel tax to help finance the stadium. The football operation is working with a common vision. Mark Davis is on the verge of achieving stability in Las Vegas that would have been a yearly struggle in Oakland.

I thought those hotels have been closed for months and therefore no room tax coming in.

The hotel tax had an 18 month waterfall fund that was established at the commencement of the loan period. That is, hotels would have to shut for a full 18 months for the repayments on the loan to ever be short.

Vegas will be fully open by July. So the tax really isn't an issue at all.

Team headquarters around the NFL have been closed because of the Coronavirus pandemic, but several are about to reopen and the Raiders’ new headquarters might be ready just in time for minicamp in early or mid-June.

This would be good news for the players and other team employees have found places to live in the Las Vegas area, and others who will be doing so soon.

In addition, if training camp is held in Henderson, it would cut down on travel players and team personnel would have to make during the preseason.

General Manager Mike Mayock was quoted in February that he was hoping something like this might happen.

“I don’t really want the players walking around (their state-of-the-art headquarters) like this, ‘Wow, this is cool,’ while we’re getting ready for week one,” Mayock said at the time. “I want to get all the shock and awe out of there. Get them used to it. Know where their meetings are, where everything is in the building.”

From si.com

Henry Ruggs III's NFL career hasn't yet started, but he's already had a bit of a health scare.
The receiver was involved in an off-field incident helping a friend move and was apparently cut or suffered a puncture wound, but is "OK," NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.
The wound is not serious, Rapoport added.
Ruggs' father spoke to AL.com on Monday and said Ruggs suffered a thigh injury and currently is using crutches to avoid putting pressure on his injured leg.
"He was trying to move a trailer or something -- move furniture or something -- and the trailer just kind of pinned him against a car or a wall or something," Henry Ruggs Jr. said. "He's pretty much OK, I'm about to go out there and see him in a little bit. It was just like a little open wound on his leg, a little incision. Like something had stuck him right there on his thigh a little bit."

Why is he your favourite player? He's arguably my least favourite player simply because I think he is ridiculously overrated.

He has been doing a lot since the day he was drafted and has had to put up with a lot. Also was moved from LG to RG to fit in someone who has gone.
Seems like a standup guy unlike some we have had lately.
He and DC are the senior guys on the roster now.

In my only BF mock draft attempt I had him in the second round and we got him in the third.

We have too many guards and not enough tackles. Though he would have been gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to say am pretty surprised we did not cut Gabe.

I'm not. Realistically, why would you cut him? At this stage of the off-season, creating an additional 9+ million in salary cap space isn't going to get you a productive player via free agency given that all the top players (outside of Clowney, who we are not in the hunt for) are taken.

Better off keeping him, having a nice glutton of guards to pick from come the start of the season. Given injuries happen, we might need them. If not, hopefully another team sends us a draft pick like a conditional 7th rounder for one of them whom we would have otherwise moved on from at the final cutdown to 55 on the roster.

He has been doing a lot since the day he was drafted and has had to put up with a lot. Also was moved from LG to RG to fit in someone who has gone.
Seems like a standup guy unlike some we have had lately.
He and DC are the senior guys on the roster now.

In my only BF mock draft attempt I had him in the second round and we got him in the third.

We have too many guards and not enough tackles. Though he would have been gone.

Certainly agree that we need a solid backup tackle. I like Sharpe, but Parker is terrible and has no place on any NFL roster. I suspect we will sign someone once the final cuts occur to fill this void.

Forgot we have Kamaal Seymour. Sounds like a project.

LOWDOWN ON KAMAAL SEYMOUR:

“When I say a developmental guy, I think he's a guy that will probably need a year before he's ready to start for a team (in the NFL),” said Carlin. “He might be somebody that can help you out in terms of adding depth for that first year, but I don't know that Kamaal is a starter right away on the line.”

Even though his whole career at Rutgers he was a right tackle, once there was potential for him to be in the NFL, scouts were trying to move him. Last year, Seymour was projected to be drafted, but instead opted to return as a redshirt senior. Then, it was thought that Seymour’s size would be better suited for the blindside and he was considered heavily at left tackle. It wasn’t until this past winter, that Seymour has been talked about in terms of the guard position, even though that had been discussed by the Scarlet Knights when they were considering reshuffling their offensive line.

The book on Seymour is that he excels at blocking the run and is not great against the pass. That could translate better into a guard role than a tackle, even though his experience is at tackle.

9-7 this upcoming season in a stacked division, good free agent additions
9-7 is the absolute minimum. I am expecting 10 wins this year on the proviso that the majority of key players stay relatively healthy throughout the season.

Year 3 of the rebuild. Have had 2 very solid drafts stacked together. Lots of guys expected to make a 2nd year leap, and we've added some very solid players who are replacing starters on our D who were not even backup level players in the league.

The last fortnight I've rewatched almost every game from last season (I'm up to the Jags game). Specifically looking at deficiencies in the team and where they needed to improve. The same culprits showed up every single game. Joyner, Whitehead, Morrow and Worley on D were exposed time after time. Morrow has been relegated to a backup position, Whitehead is off the team and these two guys have been replaced by Kwiatkoski and Littleton - both of whom are huge upgrades. Worley has been replaced by Amukamara - another clear upgrade. Joyner remains on the team though I am skeptical he will be starting the entire year. He is small and plays small. Outside of Joyner I don't see any ridiculously glaring deficiencies in the defensive roster. Secondary could use a playmaker but it's up to one of the young guys like Mullen or Abram to step up and be "that guy."

On offense, our only issue was red zone. Fix the red zone issues and this offence could easily be top 10 for scoring in the league. Playcalling imo was not a problem either. Watching the games this time around made me appreciate Gruden's scheme a lot more. There is so much versatility and his ability to scheme guys open to run after the catch on passing routes is really special. One thing I'm skeptical on is Josh Jacobs' ability to be a passing threat out of the backfield. His hands looked a bit sketchy on further review, and it led to quite a few new interceptions from tips of his hands. At least Bowden and Richard should be able to handle that role though. Jacobs as a runner though was amazing. His tape from Week 5 against Chicago through the away game against Kansas City was near perfect. You will be hard pressed to find a better runner in the league.

One last thing - people need to get off Carr in terms of his play extending ability. He made giant leaps in that area last year. Can still improve, but he was really moving well throughout the year.

Its possible we will not be playing in the new stadium until the first home game v aints. Some delays, covid not helping.

No they'll be playing in it during the pre-season. It's going to be finished on time. Next to zero chance of it being delayed.

Adam Schein
NFL.COM CONTRIBUTING COLUMNIST

Despite the purported devaluation of running backs, the position is currently stocked with big-name stars, including Christian McCaffrey, Ezekiel Elliott, Saquon Barkley, Derrick Henry, Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook and Nick Chubb, to name a few. But everyone's gonna have to move aside for Jacobs in 2020.
The Raiders' second-year back is physical, speedy and fresh, having averaged just 123 carries over his past four years of football (three at Alabama, one in the NFL). Yes, a shoulder injury prematurely ended his fantastic rookie season -- when he rushed for 1,150 yards and forced the most missed tackles as a runner, per Pro Football Focus -- but he'll be recovered and ready to rock in the fall.

In 2020, the presence of rookie speed merchant Henry Ruggs III should loosen things up, preventing teams from always stacking the box

by Tom LaMarre June 5 2020

The NFL is allowing coaches to return to their headquarters on Friday, but Coach Jon Gruden of the Las Vegas Raiders and his assistants probably will be forced to continue to meet virtually, as they have since the shutdown because of the Coronavirus pandemic.

That’s because the Raiders’ new 335,00-square-foot headquarters facility in Henderson, Nev., is not quite ready to be occupied and probably won’t be until later this month.

“It’s hard to do,” Gruden said. “It’s challenging. We’ve got to try to be as creative as possible and that’s what we’re doing. We probably spend more time preparing for the meetings than we’ve ever done before. We’ve learned a lot about technology, we feel like we’re on the cutting edge of utilizing it.

1. Lamarcus Joyner had his most impactful season at free safety with the Los Angeles Rams in 2017, logging nine pass breakups and three interceptions. He signed a four-year, $42 million deal with the Raiders last offseason and moved to the slot cornerback spot.
    Joyner didn't play up to his new contract, recording just three pass breakups and allowing a 69.4 percent completion rate, 541 yards and four touchdowns in coverage.
    According to Raiders defensive backs coach Jim O'Neil the team will cross-train Joyner at safety
    At least initially, Joyner will have to show improvement in the slot with Johnathan Abram and Damarious Randall set to start at safety. He'll also face some pressure from rookie fourth-rounder Amik Robertson, who will likely play the same position.
    If Joyner struggles through the 2020 campaign, the Raiders can release him and save $8.7 million in 2021, per Over the Cap, opening Robertson's pathway to a prominent role. Being cut could also make it difficult for the versatile defensive back to earn another lucrative contract as a cornerback. He would likely have to settle for a modest deal relative to safeties.

1. Lamarcus Joyner had his most impactful season at free safety with the Los Angeles Rams in 2017, logging nine pass breakups and three interceptions. He signed a four-year, $42 million deal with the Raiders last offseason and moved to the slot cornerback spot.
    Joyner didn't play up to his new contract, recording just three pass breakups and allowing a 69.4 percent completion rate, 541 yards and four touchdowns in coverage.
    According to Raiders defensive backs coach Jim O'Neil the team will cross-train Joyner at safety
    At least initially, Joyner will have to show improvement in the slot with Johnathan Abram and Damarious Randall set to start at safety. He'll also face some pressure from rookie fourth-rounder Amik Robertson, who will likely play the same position.
    If Joyner struggles through the 2020 campaign, the Raiders can release him and save $8.7 million in 2021, per Over the Cap, opening Robertson's pathway to a prominent role. Being cut could also make it difficult for the versatile defensive back to earn another lucrative contract as a cornerback. He would likely have to settle for a modest deal relative to safeties.

I have heard that Joyner does not want to play safety full time and that was one of the appeals about initially signing with the Raiders.

That being said, DBs coach Jim O'Neill was quoted a few weeks ago on the Silver & Black Today radio show in Las Vegas that Joyner will train this off-season both as a slot corner AND as a safety. Odds are they'll keep the 4 traditional safeties (Heath, Abram, Randall and Harris) which allows them to keep an extra corner (Mullen, Amukamara, Arnette, Robertson, Joyner & one of Johnson, Lawson or Nixon).

It's the desire to show that he can be more than just a speed guy though that's among the primary motivations for Henry Ruggs going into this season. "I feel like I can show I'm more than just a fast guy at any time," said Ruggs "Of course, my tape speaks for itself, but when I get out onto the field, I can show I can be more than just a runner."

More than anything, though, Ruggs thinks that he's going to be able to bring an all-around impact to Las Vegas. "I'm going to bring explosive playmaking, of course, the ability to be a great all-around receiver and be a guy that only makes a positive impact."

One SEC coach told Raider Maven of Ruggs, "He is a perfect Jon Gruden and Raider type player. He is super-fast, great hands will fistfight a linebacker at the fifty-yard line to get Josh Jacobs an extra yard blocking and off the field, he is a super young man. Great player and pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back