Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW I wouldn't go near Floyd or Dupree either. Can almost guarantee they will underperform whatever contract they are given when signing with a team like the Raiders (no other big passing rushing threat on the roster)
Maxx! Played with a broken hand and a torn left shoulder

Maxx! Played with a broken hand and a torn left shoulder

Ok mate, if you think he's on Donald (Floyd) and TJ Watt's (Dupree) level then I suppose there won't be a problem. 😂

Those guys all came in late and not ready to play. I would keep them all. Irving has already signed on.

Massive waste of roster space. You really think they are magically going to have break seasons now after doing jackshit for the previous 3? Better off taking a flyer on some college players late in the draft, will cost you less than them also.

Fully expecting Trent Brown and Incognito to remain on the roster. A solidified offensive line immediately improves the run game and red zone struggles that they had down the stretch.

I'm also expecting the Raiders to get one of Justin Simmons, Marcus Maye or Marcus Williams in free agency. They are targeting a veteran safety.

First round pick will be a pass rusher unless they address it in FA. Paye or Rousseau the likely two targets there but still a long way to go before late April.

SAFETY

Under contract:
Lamarcus Joyner, Johnathan Abram, Jeff Heath, Rashaan Gaulden

UFA: Erik Harris

Game plan: Joyner, who has a $9.95 million cap number but no dead money, is a popular cut candidate. And yet ... as noted earlier, the secondary needs an alpha presence to reign in and mentor the likes of Abram. Would Sherman not only rejoin Bradley, but consider a switch to free safety? Leavitt is an exclusive-rights free agent.

Mel Kiper Jr

said that TCU free safety Trevon Moehrig would be the best possible fit for the Raiders in the first round. Here is a snippet of his thoughts on the possible pairing:

“I think it’s what I laid out on my mock draft 2.0, with TCU safety Trevon Moehrig falling to Vegas. He’s the top safety on the board — the only safety with a first-round grade from me — and a player who can cover the deep half of the field and relieve pressure on the Raiders’ corners. They should be thrilled if Moehrig is still available.”
It’s not a bad thought by Kiper as Moehrig has everything Mike Mayock and Jon Gruden would want in a safety. He has a ton of experience, ball production and the ideal size to play the position. However, there are some concerns about his fit in Gus Bradley’s defense as he’s never been a true “centerfielder” type of safety in college. Instead, he did his best work in Cover 2 and near the line of scrimmage.

“Marcus Mariota and his camp are refusing to tear up the final year of his deal, that calls for him to be a $10 million backup, or a $21 million starter,” Boston beat writer Greg Bedard reported for the Boston Sports Journal.

And there are good reasons why Mariota might be standing firm on his current deal with the Raiders.

Mariota might want to be released and probably believes he can force his release

If Mariota’s representatives don’t think the Raiders are willing to pay a backup quarterback $10 million, it makes sense to be stubborn and wait out the Raiders (at least for now). If released, Mariota can choose where he goes and his new team won’t have to give up a draft pick. As NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport said last week, if Mariota can sign as a free agent, he figures to get more guaranteed money on a longer-term deal.

Mariota may know where he wants to play next year

It would be a little naive to believe Mariota (by way of his representatives) hasn’t communicated with teams and knows where he wants to play next year. No, that’s not in keeping with the rules of the CBA, but it happens all the time. If Mariota can force his release from the Raiders, he can choose where he plays next year and mostly likely be that team’s undisputed starting quarterback (not having to look over his shoulder).

By the way, the Washington Football Team and Chicago Bears make a lot of sense to be that team.

Mariota is already sitting on a good deal

With the exception of a long-term deal, how can you beat a deal that pays $10 million as a backup and can balloon to around $20 million as a starter?

Mariota has massive incentives in his current deal and there were whispers in December that those incentives (upwards of $1 million per game) may have partially motivated the Raiders to play Carr with a bad groin over a healthy Mariota. Even if the incentives weren’t a factor in the Raiders decision, it had to have been disappointing for Mariota to miss out on the money – especially considering how well he played against the Chargers.

Time will tell how hard Mariota’s camp digs in on his contract as this approach does come with some risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id trade Carr and keep Mariota

The starting quarterback carousel is spinning this offseason at a rate not seen in years, but don't expect the Las Vegas Raiders to hop on.
If general manager Mike Mayock's comments to media members on Wednesday are any indication, Las Vegas doesn't intend to send its starting QB packing via trade, not after a career-best campaign.
"I think Derek Carr has earned a lot of respect around this league from an awful lot of people," Mayock told reporters. "I think Derek Carr had his best year yet, under Jon Gruden. I think he's one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL and we couldn't be happier with him. ...
"If you're asking me about Derek, I think Jon and I would both stand shoulder to shoulder and pound the table for Derek Carr."
Carr's name has cropped in trade rumors annually around this time, ever since Gruden took the Raiders' coaching job in 2018, so talk of the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback potentially not being in Las Vegas' future plans isn't new to these parts. What is new is the name who could reportedly replace Carr if the Raiders intended to part ways with him: Russell Wilson, whose agent told ESPN last week that Las Vegas was a preferred landing spot if the Seattle Seahawks were to trade him.

The surge in Carr rumors runs conversely to the Raiders' reported interest in trading his backup, Marcus Mariota, who performed well in one game in 2020. The trade market for the cuttable Mariota has dried up in recent weeks, but the point remains: Las Vegas is comfortable enough with Carr that it is eager to ditch the backup with starting experience who was brought in last offseason as a break-glass-in-case-of-"Carrmergency" option.
Carr not only has the support of Raiders honchos. The locker room has publicly thrown its support behind him in recent days as well. This week, Carr's fullback, Alec Ingold, said declaratively that Carr is "the guy," adding "I can't understand how anybody isn't ecstatic to have this guy as the quarterback." Earlier Wednesday, Carr's top target, Darren Waller, told Good Morning Football that he has "all the belief in the world in Derek Carr," who is "a guy that can take us everywhere we want to go."

Where the Raiders go in 2021 is up to them. Where Carr ends up is up to Mayock and Gruden, and as of Wednesday, it appears that answer is still, for the third consecutive offseason, nowhere but the Raiders' facility.

Jeremy Bergman
Digital Content Editor
nfl.com

It’s a precarious position the Raiders find themselves in. Their defense was as porous as it gets, with no position safe from criticism. The secondary has received a great deal of criticism, but the problem is the team has spent a great deal of draft capital on defensive backs in the past couple of years, which means they have no choice but to give them a chance to develop.

With as many needs the Raiders have this offseason, using another high pick on a defensive back would be a tough pill to swallow. Mayock and head coach Jon Gruden would much rather see the high-picked DBs they already have start living up to their potential so they can put their attention elsewhere.

There is reason to believe some of them still have room to grow. Abram and Johnson had lost rookie seasons due to injury while Arnette and Robertson had to try and catch up to the NFL with no offseason. With all of them having a full season under their belts and what figures to be an actual full offseason practice schedule ahead, they will have their best chance to find those notches Mayock is looking for.

1. The Las Vegas Raiders' 30th-ranked scoring defense will undergo schematic changes with new defensive coordinator Gus Bradley.
    If you look at the Los Angeles Chargers' draft history with Bradley between the 2017 and 2020 offseasons, take note of their early-round selections on defense: linebacker Uchenna Nwosu (2018 second-rounder), safety Derwin James (2018 first-rounder), defensive tackle Jerry Tillery (2019 first-rounder), safety Nasir Adderley (2019 second-rounder) and linebacker Kenneth Murray (2020 first-rounder).
    Bradley seems to favor athletic defenders or prospects who can handle a variety of roles in multiple alignments. Zaven Collins' versatility would allow him to throw curveballs through disguise while addressing some of the unit's weaknesses.
    Collins moved around Tulsa's defense and made an impact all over the field, recording 236 tackles, 25 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, five interceptions and eight pass breakups through three seasons.
    At 6'4" and 260 pounds, Collins has the cover skills to defend running backs and tight ends. He's displayed closing speed near the pocket, which will allow him to generate pressure. Bradley rarely blitzes, but the Tulsa product could cause disruption in the coordinator's hybrid linebacker-defensive end ("Leo") role.
    The Raiders could land a total-package defender in Collins at No. 17.

ESPN NFL insider Jeremy Fowler, teams around the league are keeping tabs on what Las Vegas does with Mariota, preferring a release but monitoring the former Tennessee Titans (2015-19) and Oregon Ducks (2012-14) quarterback's potential trade market.

"Marcus Mariota, he's supposed to be the next quarterback domino to fall," Fowler said on ESPN's SportsCenter. "It just hasn't happened yet because of a little bit of a game of chicken between other teams that are interested. They like him, but his contract right now — pays around 10 million, but it's got a lot of incentives. He starts for another team, that could be closer to 20 million.

"So I think teams are hoping he gets released, so that they could swoop in on a cheaper deal. The Raiders are holding out, trying to get maybe a Day 3 draft pick for him.

"I think Washington is one of the teams that could be interested here. A lot to watch out for in the quarterback carousel."

By GARRETT STEPIEN

The Raiders are shaking up their secondary.

A source close to the situation has confirmed they are bringing in former Pro Bowl cornerback A.J. Bouye for a free-agent visit. If the nine-year veteran can show he is beyond the injuries that limited him the last two years, then he could upgrade the Raiders’ young secondary. He's suspended for the first two games of next season.

Meanwhile, a source close to the team confirmed the Raiders are releasing veteran slot cornerback Lamarcus Joyner in both a cost-cutting and performance move.

Joyner, who was signed to a four-year contract in 2018 after excelling at safety in 2017 with the Los Angeles Rams, struggled during his two years with the Raiders after he was moved to slot cornerback

I was never a fan but don't understand why he wasn't moved back to safety. Anyway next season

Amik Robertson

Last edited:
Joyner became a round peg in a square hole and just never developed. Shame because he was great as a Ram.

Great is subjective. He had 1 great season and 3 average ones.

Trent Brown traded to the Pats. At this stage ill be surprised if the raiders don't take an offensive tackle with their first round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back