Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Marcus Mariota has restructured his contract to remain a Raider.

Gives the Raiders multiple options. If Carr goes down early Mariota becomes all that more valuable because he is still a capable QB. If we have a losing record at the trade deadline and a starter on a good team goes down there's the possibility of a trade on deadline day.

Not sure I'd trade him during camp unless they got a ridiculously good offer. Because if you do that and Carr goes down, your season is over with Peterman as the QB.

Just me or did the Raiders do Mariota filthyy? Keep him on the roster til QB vancancies had been filled then say you'll release him unless he takes a pay cut.

NFL contracts are such a joke honestly.

Not really, any team could've traded for him at any time but were scared off by his contract at the time.

Yes, it is now a 'team friendly deal' but he also has a 'no trade' clause added, so he has choice if another team comes calling.

Also don't forget he was well paid last season to be a back-up.

Not really, any team could've traded for him at any time but were scared off by his contract at the time.

Yes, it is now a 'team friendly deal' but he also has a 'no trade' clause added, so he has choice if another team comes calling.

Also don't forget he was well paid last season to be a back-up.

All good points. NFL contracts just do my head in. 😂

All good points. NFL contracts just do my head in. 😂

I know, all the incentives and signing bonuses etc. mean players never really receive the amounts we hear. He's a little grab of what Mariota has said, he seems really happy to remain.

“I think at the end of the day. I focus on controlling what I can control,” Mariota said. “That’s the product in the field. Everyday I wake up, I train and get ready to go. At the end of the day, we’re very blessed to play this game for a living. A lot of us make a really good amount of money. For me, I just love playing the game. The excitement, the opportunity to be a Raider, overcame all of that. To be here in Vegas, to be a part of this organization meant a lot more to me. I’m excited to be able to come back.”

“I think at the end of the day the adversities, the challenges that you face, ultimately will kind of develop who you are. I’m just excited to hopefully get over that hump. I feel like I’ve gotten healthy. I have an opportunity to have a little bit of stability, something that’s kind of been elusive in my career. I’m just excited to be in a place that I’m comfortable. I’m confident. I’m just going to do everything I can help this team win,” Mariota said.

Just me or did the Raiders do Mariota filthyy? Keep him on the roster til QB vancancies had been filled then say you'll release him unless he takes a pay cut.

NFL contracts are such a joke honestly.

He was notified quite a while ago that the Raiders weren't going to keep him at that salary. There were a few teams who made trade offers to the Raiders but it was conditional on Mariota restructuring his deal with the new team. He rebuffed a few teams, so it's not as if i feel sorry for him now that he agreed to return once the FA money has dried up. In all likelihood his agent would have been asking around on the market and if there was a team willing to pay more than 3.5M, he would have had a verbal agreement with that team and signed with them when the Raiders released him.

New Raiders RB Kenyan Drake said he's been told he will spend time at receiver in 2021.
"Coach (Jon) Gruden said that he was going to use me in a multitude of ways, playing receiver, playing running back," Drake said. "Just having the ability to kind of use my versatility as a weapon in the open field is something that really spoke to me." "(Insert running back) is going to see time at receiver in (insert year)" is an annual offseason motif, though the Raiders do have one of the league's thinnest receiver depth charts. They also targeted wideouts at a league-low 43.4 percent rate in 2020. There could be something to this, but Drake was oddly ineffective as a pass catcher his 1.5 years in Arizona, averaging a measly 5.8 yards per grab. Drake is going to have to catch a lot of passes for his opulent contract to make any sense. He is on the PPR FLEX radar behind Josh Jacobs.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Mar 25, 2021, 5:46 PM ET

Raiders beat writers Vic Tafur and Tashan Reed expect third-year pro Foster Moreau to have a bigger role in the red zone in 2021.
2020 was a lost year for Moreau as he took a back seat to Jason Witten on the depth chart. Moreau caught only seven passes after corralling 21 as a rookie. Five of those grabs ended up in the end zone. 6-foot-4 with high-end athleticism, 24-year-old (in May) Moreau also plays in an offense that targeted wide receivers a league-low 43.4 percent of the time in 2020. He went into hibernation last year, but he's a name to file away in Dynasty and tight end premium leagues.
Mar 25, 2021, 5:34 PM ET

The Raiders targeted wide receivers on just 43.4 percent of their pass attempts in 2020.
That was the lowest in the league, unsurprising to anyone who watched Darren Waller soak up seemingly 15-20 weekly looks. This offseason has seen the departures of Nelson Agholor and Tyrell Williams and additions of John Brown and Kenyan Drake. It would seem to be a vote of confidence in second-year pros Henry Ruggs and Bryan Edwards, though beat writer Vic Tafur cautions Brown "could easily be the leading receiver." Tafur does believe Ruggs and Edwards will get every opportunity to earn the starting jobs. Edwards' 2020 went sideways following early-season foot issues, while Ruggs' rookie campaign never really got off the ground. GM Mike Mayock said earlier this offseason that Ruggs "has got to get better." We know coach Jon Gruden won't hesitate to go away from his receiver corps if he believes the targets are better dealt elsewhere. Ruggs is currently on the outside looking in of WR3 value.
RELATED:
Mar 25, 2021, 5:18 PM ET

New Raiders RB Kenyan Drake said he's been told he will spend time at receiver in 2021.
"Coach (Jon) Gruden said that he was going to use me in a multitude of ways, playing receiver, playing running back," Drake said. "Just having the ability to kind of use my versatility as a weapon in the open field is something that really spoke to me." "(Insert running back) is going to see time at receiver in (insert year)" is an annual offseason motif, though the Raiders do have one of the league's thinnest receiver depth charts. They also targeted wideouts at a league-low 43.4 percent rate in 2020. There could be something to this, but Drake was oddly ineffective as a pass catcher his 1.5 years in Arizona, averaging a measly 5.8 yards per grab. Drake is going to have to catch a lot of passes for his opulent contract to make any sense. He is on the PPR FLEX radar behind Josh Jacobs.
Mar 25, 2021, 5:46 PM ET

There's a difference between playing receiver, and playing as a wide receiver. Gruden loves getting his RBs out in receiving patterns. That's what I'm expecting him to do with Drake on the regular.

Gruden has ever since he returned to the Raiders - wanted 2 RBs who were dual threats out of the backfield. Just like Garner and Wheatley back in the day, he now has Jacobs and Drake.

Willie Snead: "I'm just excited to have that opportunity to give some of my leadership presence and veteran-style leadership to this organization. Just to contribute where I can. This organization is right on the cusp of being in the playoffs

From Willie Snead conference call: `I was just really excited about possibly being here in Oakland . . . I mean, Oakland-Vegas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Seattle Seahawks gave veteran guard Gabe Jackson a three-year, $22.575 million extension, Rapoport reported, per a source. Jackson, who was under contract through the 2022 season when the team acquired him from Las Vegas on March 21, will earn a $9 million signing bonus and an additional $7.075 million in guarantees

Seems like we still have about $8 million to spend on free agents. All kinds of players available

Closer to 3 when you take the draft class into consideration.

But the cap is manipulative such that it wont prevent us signing anyone else we want in FA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back