Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching a few interviews you can see huge disconnect in the team/coaching. Carr to be fair really wants us to win, was pretty emotional. But I just dont see it happening here. I would not begrudge him at all going elsewhere and winning, I think his heart has always been in the right place.

Seems like quite a few players in that lockeroom are just there to get paid. You gotta wonder if someone like Waller, gets paid and checks out (not to blame for these losses, but what has seen him out all season basically)?

I would not be going down a recycled QB route. But is this coaching staff good enough to coach up a rookie QB? Probably not.

2019 first-round pick Jerry Tillery is moving on from the Los Angeles Chargers, but he's not venturing all that far.

The Las Vegas Raiders have claimed Tillery, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, per a source. The team subsequently announced the transaction.

Tillery portends to get reps in a hurry with Bilal Nichols and Andrew Billings currently leading the way on the interior of a defensive line that has failed to rush the quarterback consistently, as evidenced by Vegas being dead last in the NFL with 10 sacks.

''....'.......'.

Raiders owner Mark Davis supports Josh McDaniels amid 2-7 season: 'I think he's doing a fantastic job'

McDaniels and Carr will both be Raiders next season.

Interesting that McDaniels said he has no problem with the effort from all the players, not on the same page as Carr. Doesnt seem like your usual QB and HC relationship.

Interesting that McDaniels said he has no problem with the effort from all the players, not on the same page as Carr. Doesnt seem like your usual QB and HC relationship.

How do we know that when Carr was talking about effort he wasn't referring to the effort of the coaching staff?

How do we know that when Carr was talking about effort he wasn't referring to the effort of the coaching staff?
I find it hard to believe the coaching staff are not putting in effort. Are they getting things right? Clearly not. But unless they are trying to get fired no effort seems unlikely

If McDaniels calls out a lack of effort or care from 'certain' players, short of cutting them, he'll lose the whole locker room.

He has to play a straight bat whilst he brings in 'his players'.

As for McDaniels and Carr being both Raiders next season. No QB will be a franchise changer in the draft this off season. Ziegler and McDaniels can look at teams like the 49ers, Bills, Bengals. Build a great D, develop a good offense, spend where you need to, all they were lacking was the right QB and draft them and ride it out on their rookie deal.

Coz he said he has no problem with Josh and he loves the coaching staff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it hard to believe the coaching staff are not putting in effort. Are they getting things right? Clearly not. But unless they are trying to get fired no effort seems unlikely

Effort is a relative term. In New England they ran such a tight ship with Belichick that everyone knew their job to perfection - it was as smooth sailing as one could possible imagine and the locker room ran itself. It's clear that in Vegas that is not the case. All I'm saying is that the perception of what the coaches may believe is required in terms of effort may not necessarily be a true representation of the actual level of effort required to succeed at the highest level.

Will also add given you're a Port fan - Jackson Trengove said that he thought he and the team were busting their backsides under Cam Falloon. Then Burgo came and they realised the true meaning of working hard.

Coz he said he has no problem with Josh and he loves the coaching staff

Yeah, he started with that and went "but..." and then went on his rant. He has consistently said he loves the players he has around him every single year, when that hasn't been true either.

I suspect more of this will come to light in the coming weeks irrespective of where the problems lie.

Not usually a Simms fan whatsoever but reckon he did bring up some good points regarding how exception was far too high this year due to the playoff appearance last year and bringing Adams in, no doubt the Raiders have underperformed however, its probably just not as bad as everyone seems to believe it to be.

Not usually a Simms fan whatsoever but reckon he did bring up some good points regarding how exception was far too high this year due to the playoff appearance last year and bringing Adams in, no doubt the Raiders have underperformed however, its probably just not as bad as everyone seems to believe it to be.

I don't get the point of Florio criticising the Adams trade. He's the best receiver in football, and he is the type of player who will play at a high level for the considerable future because his game isn't reliant on speed. I am adamant that even with a rebuild obviously coming, Adams will be a big part of the future going forward.

The irony is that if they don't make that trade Florio would be criticising the team for not giving Carr enough weapons around him.

I disagree to a point that it was a crappy 10-7 record. You are what your record says you are. In terms of QB matchups last year they beat Lamar, Dak and the wonder boy Herbert. I'll admit they had a lot of luck to their way, but you need that in any season. Even so, it was impressive given the drama they endured between Gruden, Ruggs and Arnette. I don't think there's been more drama that what we saw last year on any individual team. If you're going to call the Raiders 10-7 record crappy, the 10-7 Bengals season was nothing special either. But hey, they got hot, went on a run and then leaped into this year and are playing good ball. Raiders could and should have done the same thing.

I get that they're implementing a new culture, but at some point you have to see progress, and we simply aren't seeing it. You don't create change for change's sake, but rather you create change for the betterment of the on field results. What exactly are they implementing in terms of structure and culture that they can point to in order to suggest progress is being made for long term success? I'm not sure.

Mark has the cash to pay out McDaniels and co if he wanted to. I do understand where Mark is coming from mentioning the 6 one score games where the offense had a chance and blew it. That's gotta be some sort of record. For all of how bad this has looked, they've been right there for the most part. One could conceivably think with just a few more pieces they can flip those 50/50 end of game circumstances into 60/40 in their favour.

It's going to be a fascinating remainder to the season. The season is well and truly over on the field. Maybe the pressure valve will release and this will see an acceleration of changes throughout the team? I don't know. But when you're trying to do things incrementally and it's season over at this point, one could easily justify ripping off the band aid and going all in to put in place everything you want for 2023.

Herbert has a below .500 career record, I really rate him but having a win against the Chargers on your CV is hardly anything to brag about up til this point, Ravens missed the playoffs (granted you won when they were healthy) and Dallas won a weak division and lost in the first round.

Im not excusing McDaniels, I even said he was a terrible appointment when you made it. Just think expectations were far too high. I didnt have the Raiders or Broncos making the playoffs pre season. Correct on both.

Hope Webbs knee is ok. Was a big improvement over Averett. Has good size and speed.

He played well against the Colts. Deserves more time to see exactly what he can do in this defense.

Eight teams - Las Vegas, Detroit, Carolina, Indianapolis, San Francisco, New York Jets, New York Giants, and Kansas City - put in waiver claims for former Chargers’ first-round pick Jerry Tillery, who was assigned to the Raiders.

— Adam Schefter

He's just a good player who came available and we wanted to take our shot at." -Kyle Shanahan on the 49ers decision to place a waiver claim on Jerry Tillery

seems like poor defense is a yearly tradition for the Las Vegas Raiders no matter who is the defensive coordinator.

Year after year.

Whether it’s Ken Norton, Paul Guenther, Gus Bradley and, now, Patrick Graham, the Raiders are lacking on defense.

They just can’t make enough consistent players. We all know they are last in the NFL in sacks and in creating turnovers, but, as pointed out by the Associated Press, the Raiders are awful near the goal line.

They have allowed touchdowns on 30 straight drives when the opponent get a first down at the 10-yard line or closer.
'.........

The Las Vegas Raiders of got their first sack in three games in a Week 10 loss to the Indianapolis Colts, yet it was nothing to celebrate.

It was supposed to be so much more. In Week 9, the Colts’ offensive line, which had struggled all season, allowed a whopping nine sacks against the New England Patriots. It was supposed to be a get-well game for Patrick Graham’s defense. Yet, all the Raiders could muster was one sack of Matt Ryan in a 25-20 loss.

By Big Bill Williamson

Maybe only use Billings, Nichols and Jones on first downs. Give Koonce, Vickers, Peko and Tillery their snaps. Plus Butler and Farrell

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports the Raiders could release QB Derek Carr after the season to avoid paying the final three years of his contract.​

The Raiders signed Carr to a three-year extension in April. While it's unlikely they move on from Carr a year after he recruited WR Davante Adams to Vegas, Carr's deal has no guarantees left. Releasing him would leave only $5 million in dead money. The Raiders project for a top-five pick, giving them a chance to draft Carr's replacement, and there are rumors of HC Josh McDaniels reuniting with ex-Patriots QB Tom Brady this offseason. The Raiders have until three days after the Super Bowl to make a decision on Carr. Carr has a $32.9 million base salary next year and would be owed a guaranteed $7.5 million in 2024 if he's on the post-February roster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back