Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Didnt realise Mark was so broke, wow. Very unfortunate that the Raiders will be forced to keep McDaniels.

It always amuses me when we see these stories about Mark not having the necessary capital to make certain moves relating to the Raiders. We've heard this for the last decade. However, let's go back and look at his recent track record.

In 2015 he invested roughly 40 million (USD) into upgrading the Raiders headquarters in Alameda at the behest of Jack Del Rio.

In early 2017 they closed the deal for Allegiant Stadium. The first transaction was acquiring the land which costed 77.5 million (USD). Their investment in the stadium itself and their separate team facility in Henderson totalled approximately 1.15 billion (USD). It should also be noted that even though the Raiders only play 9 or 10 games there each year, they receive a big share of the revenue for all other events at the stadium.

In late 2017 he fired Del Rio with 3 years left on his deal, to then give Jon Gruden the biggest head coaching contract in NFL history at the time.

In 2021 MD purchased the Las Vegas Aces and made Becky Hammon the highest paid coach in WNBA history. I doubt it was much money (last I checked the value of each team is in the 15 million range), and Hammon's contract was roughly only 1M per year. That being said, I doubt he's broadening his sporting horizons in ownership if he was unable to come up with the capital to make all the moves he wanted for the Raiders. The Raiders are his baby and I can't see him making any financial transaction that would be at the detriment financially for the Raiders.

In 2019 Forbes valued the Raiders at 2.9 billion (USD). As of August 2022, Forbes valued the team at 5.1 billion (USD).

Given the financial strides this team has made particularly in the last 3 years, I find it ridiculous egregious for anyone to report that he doesn't have the cash to fire McDaniels. We're talking about an increase in wealth of well over a billion dollars in that time along with a significant increase in revenue coming into the team because of the stadium deal. Even if Mark's wealth was only asset based and not liquid cash, I too find it hard to believe that he wouldn't be able to fund what are relatively minor financial transactions in the grand scheme of things by using a line of credit at a financial institution.

The NFL will surely try to nudge Davis along as an owner as well. They want self-made billionaires

If the NFL truly wanted Mark out of the league they wouldn't have him on one of the competition committees and they sure as heck wouldn't have assisted him with the move to Vegas.

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports the Raiders could release QB Derek Carr after the season to avoid paying the final three years of his contract.​

The Raiders signed Carr to a three-year extension in April. While it's unlikely they move on from Carr a year after he recruited WR Davante Adams to Vegas, Carr's deal has no guarantees left. Releasing him would leave only $5 million in dead money. The Raiders project for a top-five pick, giving them a chance to draft Carr's replacement, and there are rumors of HC Josh McDaniels reuniting with ex-Patriots QB Tom Brady this offseason. The Raiders have until three days after the Super Bowl to make a decision on Carr. Carr has a $32.9 million base salary next year and would be owed a guaranteed $7.5 million in 2024 if he's on the post-February roster.

Even though he has a no-trade clause I would suspect a trade is more likely than an outright release. It's a team friendly contract to trade, and there are enough teams who would go after him via trade to get a bidding war that would get I suspect at least 1 premium pick. I don't think the Raiders move on Carr unless they have a top 2-3 pick in the draft and are in a position to draft their franchise QB of the future.

Brady. They are surely just making s**t up now

Sounds farfetched on the surface. But we know that Mark Davis wanted him back in 2020. We also know that he's more free to continue playing now that he's split from Giselle. And we also know he would have most likely 1 year left in him - 2 at the absolute most. Could I see a situation in which they move on from Carr via trade, sign Brady in free agency and then draft a QB to sit for a year before Brady retires and then sees the drafted kid start in year 2? Although a long shot, I wouldn't immediately dismiss it.

Given the McDaniels connection - Brady has spoken glowingly of Josh in the past and at one point said he has every tool necessary to be an elite head coach, so I would put it in the back of my mind to be refreshed in 3 months time (or so).

Lastly - if Brady were to join the Raiders, I reckon Gronk would come out of retirement. Waller is on the nose in the building and they could easily find a trade partner for him.

However, if McDaniels is let go before the start of next season then any of this talk is simply not going to happen under any circumstance.

Chandler Jones has to be the worst FA signing for money spent by any team this past offseason. I had high hopes for him opposite Crosby but he has done virtually nothing.

Chandler Jones has to be the worst FA signing for money spent by any team this past offseason. I had high hopes for him opposite Crosby but he has done virtually nothing.
Yeh has been disappointing.

LaMarr Woodley 2.0

A good win or a bad tank?

I will say, always nice beating them.

I rarely subscribe to the idea of tanking particularly this early in a season. If it is a one game thing at the end of the year, sure. But for the most part you want to see teams trying their hardest for the entire year. Especially in year 1 of a new regime you're trying to build some foundational fundamentals that will be the blueprint of how you proceed forward. With that comes an ethos to win at all costs. Kind of hypocritical to tank in such a scenario.

Watching the post game today (and reading some reports) it has been a pleasant surprise to see the locker room so up beat, positive and jovial despite the adversity they've experienced this season. McDaniels deserve credit for that because it seems clear that there is still a considerable buy in from the players.

Let's see how things go next week before we get too excited though. At this point in the year I just want to see consistent effort, development of young players on D and hopefully we will see the three headed passing monster of Adams, Renfrow and Waller at the end of the year to evaluate the future of the passing attack going forward.

"Route running is really just about the sameness within each route. If they see something that was very similar," Adams said, describing his game-winning TD. "So, I try to give a look that basically, that's why he ended up diving over the top the way that he did. He thought he had a jump on it basically. Based off of what I'd seen earlier, I mentioned to Coach, 'I think we'll be able to do this.'
"Obviously, not force anything, but if it presents itself, we'd have a home run."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NFL Draft profile scouting report for Fresno State QB Jake Haener

Jake Haener, Fresno State: Stock Up​

Jake Haener has been one of the biggest surprises in the 2021 CFB season and has shown good overall improvement from 2020. He displays very good accuracy overall and consistently makes NFL level tight window throws. Overall, he has shown solid arm talent. Shows a good understanding of where to go with the ball based on pre snap reads. Haener throws with good anticipation and is very aggressive. His best trait is his off script ability. He does a good job keeping his eyes and excels with ball placement while on the move. Additionally, pocket awareness and mobility are outstanding which allows him to extend plays and give himself throwing lanes. As a result, he can maneuver the pocket like a magician. Moreover, he has shown the ability to make full field progressions and overall is a good processor.

Another great bulldog QB.

Grade:​

7th Round

The next Tom Brady

The Raiders designated CB Nate Hobbs to return from the Reserve/Injured list.
Hobbs was placed on injured reserve on Oct. 17 after breaking his hand in the team's Week 5 game against the Chiefs.
The Silver and Black have a 21-day period to either activate Hobbs to the roster or place him back on injured reserve.

Re-sign Josh Jacobs now before he's too pricey to keep.

Jacobs is an absolute must sign.

He's definitely gotta be kept around. Jacobs' performance today was the best by any RB in Raiders' history. That is incredible given some of the players who have worn the silver and black.

I'm not a fan of RBs getting monster deals, and I look at the contract Zeke Elliott signed in 2019 as reason for trepidation. However, mileage has to be considered, and Zeke at the time of signing his contract already four 300+ touches in a season compared to just 2 for Jacobs (including College). He was a true workhorse back going back to his days as a Buckeye but Jacobs was just a rotational back and has been used relatively sparing. Imo he has plenty of tread on the tyres to justify a minimum 2 year commitment. Ideally I'd sign him to around a 3 year deal with guaranteed money finished after 2 years. At the very least I'm tagging him for next year. He is the offense right now. He's literally carrying this offense the same way Derrick Henry carries the Titans. You can pay a premium for that because it is the cost of making all the other talent around them better (like Davante).

I don't want to get ahead of myself but the next 2 games are winnable. If they can find a way to get to 6-7 it will be the same record the Raiders had at that time last year - and we all know how that regular season ended. Hasn't been a pretty season but they're still fighting.

NFL Draft profile scouting report for Fresno State QB Jake Haener

Jake Haener, Fresno State: Stock Up​

Jake Haener has been one of the biggest surprises in the 2021 CFB season and has shown good overall improvement from 2020. He displays very good accuracy overall and consistently makes NFL level tight window throws. Overall, he has shown solid arm talent. Shows a good understanding of where to go with the ball based on pre snap reads. Haener throws with good anticipation and is very aggressive. His best trait is his off script ability. He does a good job keeping his eyes and excels with ball placement while on the move. Additionally, pocket awareness and mobility are outstanding which allows him to extend plays and give himself throwing lanes. As a result, he can maneuver the pocket like a magician. Moreover, he has shown the ability to make full field progressions and overall is a good processor.

Another great bulldog QB.

Grade:​

7th Round

The next Tom Brady

The Fresno State Bulldogs are the 2022 Mountain West Conference Champions. Consistent defense and big plays in all three phases led the Bulldogs to a 28-16 win over the Boise State Broncos, resulting in Fresno State’s second championship celebration on the blue turf in five years.

Haener was named the Offensive Player of the Game with 17-of-27 completions for 184 yards and a touchdown.

Liked Tillery's game. Maybe had a point to prove.

Chandler Jones finally turned up. Hopefully he can continue that form.

Jacobs, amazing.

If we could somehow get Waller and/or Renfrow to want to play, with the way Adams is playing, the O may finally be what we were expecting it to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back