Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
I’d like to keep Mariota and design packages for him in the red zone.

Especially with Jacobs in there.

Hes contracted to receive over 10M next year. As a backup QB, even with a small RZ package, with the cap decreasing etc, it's not worth keeping him at that price.

RZ offense didn't sputter because of Carr. It sputtered because the O Line couldn't get any push in the run game, along with some questionable play calling at times (run blocking was the bigger problem though).

Have spoken to a few people who chart RZ offense and they say you see volatile changes from year to year with respect to RZ efficiency for any given team, so it is not a problem im going to worry too much about.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We'll have the dollars.

Mariota, Tyrell Williams, Trent Brown and a few others will be on the chopping block. Could free up around 50M in cap space.

Re Joe Barry, the last time he was involved in a 43 D was in 2008. Even when he was DC for Washington, he ran a 34 base.

So just because Gruden has said he wants a 43 base doesn't mean he's married to it by any means. Especially if you play a 34 single gap base.

Incognito likely gone. Use his money on the D.

Really liked Good and Simpson

Oct 23, 2006
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chi Bulls, LV Raiders
We'll have the dollars.

Mariota, Tyrell Williams, Trent Brown and a few others will be on the chopping block. Could free up around 50M in cap space.

Re Joe Barry, the last time he was involved in a 43 D was in 2008. Even when he was DC for Washington, he ran a 34 base.

So just because Gruden has said he wants a 43 base doesn't mean he's married to it by any means. Especially if you play a 34 single gap base.

If that's the case (and I'm not disagreeing with you) regarding Gruden not being married to a 43 defense then why are reports of Wade Phillips showing interest but being turned away by the team.

He'd be an awesome pick-up. He'd be my first choice.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
If that's the case (and I'm not disagreeing with you) regarding Gruden not being married to a 43 defense then why are reports of Wade Phillips showing interest but being turned away by the team.

He'd be an awesome pick-up. He'd be my first choice.

I am acquaintances with someone who knows Wade personally and has spoken to Wade recently. Make no mistake about it, Wade wants the job. Borderline desperate for the job actually.

Wade has never been an associate of Gruden. They run in completely different circles in the NFL. Whilst that doesn't sound like much, it can count for a lot in a league filled with nepotism.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
October 24, 2016

ESPN’s Monday Night Football commentator Jon Gruden made some suggestions for Denver’s defense last week, it was no surprise that Phillips responded by taking a jab at the former Buccaneers coach.

“Well, Jon Gruden hasn’t coached in a while, has he?” Phillips asked media members in Denver, according to the Denver Post‘s Nick Groke.

The Broncos defense ranks No. 7 in the NFL this season in points allowed per game, but they have struggled to cover running backs and tight ends in consecutive losses. That led Gruden to suggest that Denver should use more zone coverage.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Rumours Deshaun Watson wants a trade. Would not be against that as an option. I know Carr was much better this year, but feel like that would be an upgrade.

Houston had a worse than league average offence last year ranked by points per game despite having two 1k yard receivers and Deshaun Watson as QB.

Trade Carr and two 1st round picks for Watson (that would be the price), and then tell me how you're going to fix the defense.

The Raiders gave up 478 points this year. In the entire history of the NFL, of teams who have given up at least 470 points in a single season, only two teams have scored more points than the Raiders did on offence this year (435 points). One was the 2013 Chicago Bears who scored 445 points going to an 8-8 record. The other - the 2000 St. Louis Rams who scored a whopping 540 points (averaging 33.75 points per game) but because of their bad D (gave up 471 points that year) they only won 10 games.

So for the Raiders to have been an above 500 team with this D, they needed the offence to be the Greatest Show on Turf part 2.

Fix the damn D, it's not a complicated formula.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
If only we had tried in the last draft and FA to fix the D.

What are you on about? Last off season they spent a 1st round pick on a starting corner, and over 50M in guaranteed money on a number of defensive players in free agency. And the year before they spent two first round picks and a high second round pick on their D.

This idea that they have solely dedicated resources to the offense and completely neglected the D is some of the biggest BS I've heard outside of the "Carr sucks!" Brigade.

Get a proper DC who will actually scheme to his players and they will look a ton better.

What are you on about? Last off season they spent a 1st round pick on a starting corner, and over 50M in guaranteed money on a number of defensive players in free agency. And the year before they spent two first round picks and a high second round pick on their D.

This idea that they have solely dedicated resources to the offense and completely neglected the D is some of the biggest BS I've heard outside of the "Carr sucks!" Brigade.

Get a proper DC who will actually scheme to his players and they will look a ton better.
Sarcasm.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Raiders hired Gus Bradley as defensive coordinator.
Bradley was an assistant coach under Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay from 2006-08 before becoming a defensive coordinator with the Seahawks. Bradley then served as head coach of the Jaguars from 2013-16. Gruden said Monday that the Raiders want to keep their 4-3 defensive scheme, which Bradley uses. The Raiders fired former defensive coordinator Paul Guenther after late-game meltdowns from a defense that allowed 29.9 points per game, the third most in the league. The Raiders had the third lowest sack rate in the NFL this season. Bradley has work to do.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Vincent Bonsignore on Twitter
Jan 12, 2021, 12:41 PM ET

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Excellent hire. Wish my own team had Bradley as our DC.

(Letting Chewy know this was not sarcasm, serious 😉 )

Hes a very good DC. Underrated imo. Strong history of getting young guys to perform early even if they are day 3 draft picks.

I love that he has added Richard Smith and Ron Milus to the coaching team as well. Both are great coaches at their respective positions and enormous upgrades on what they had.

Good get, would've like to have seen an exhaustive search for a new DC.

I have faith Bradley will get things moving in the right direction.

They did a big search. Bradley was always the favourite but they interviewed and spoke to a fair few guys even if informally. Just because it doesn't leak out doesnt mean it didn't happen.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Cool news, Mark Davis has purchased WNBA team Las Vegas Aces (pending approval).

Who said he had no money.

Good way to solidify his standing in the city.

The WNBA generates about 60M in revenue per season compared to over 7 billion by the NBA each season. I don't think this is proof that Mark is loaded (compared to other NFL owners).

That being said, despite Mark not being as wealthy as other NFL owners, over the last few years no one can say that MD's financial situation has prevented the Raiders from being on an equal footing in terms of organisational infrastructure and investment compared to other teams.

He has managed to get them a world class stadium, their facility in Henderson is as good as any in the NFL. The head coach is highest paid in the league and his assistants are all paid highly as well with long term security (Gruden's coordinators signed 4 year deals when they first joined in 2018 which is unheard of).

Back