Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

This has the smell of Clarko moving on Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell.

I'm bewildered by this move. Chewy knows his stuff and perhaps Hudson was on a down swing of his career but is he any worse/better than his replacement?

Derek's gonna be running for his life.

Put it to you this way - if they kept him this year in all likelihood they're cutting him next year and would have a 7M wad of dead money on the books next year. A replacement is not going to be much of a downgrade (and will likely be an upgrade in the run game), so I don't mind getting it out of the way now to protect future seasons - especially considering he wanted out to begin with.

Him and G.Jackson apparently still not yet released

Well, the reports about the raiders releasing him and taking on s**t tones of dead cap need to apologize. Trading a player before he downturns is perfectly acceptable.

Seahawks acquired RG Gabe Jackson from the Raiders in exchange for a 2021 fifth-round pick.
The Raiders were expected to release Jackson, but like C Rodney Hudson earlier, Vegas was able to instead swing Jackson for a draft pick after Hudson was dealt to Arizona for a third-rounder. Jackson turns 30 this summer and was Pro Football Focus' No. 40 guard last season. He was once one of the best guards in football. In Seattle, Jackson should slide right in next to RT Brandon Shell, though the Seahawks still have 2020 third-round OG Damien Lewis. One of them can move to the left side after Mike Iupati retired.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 17, 2021, 8:29 PM ET

And Solomon Thomas former 3rd round pick still 25 yo is a good get (potential)

There wasn't as much room left for Thomas along the defensive front with players such as Bosa, Arik Armstead, Javon Kinlaw and Dee Ford, especially after a decrease in production from his rookie to second, third and fourth seasons.

The Stanford product flashed his potential in 2017 with 41 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, three sacks and a fumble recovery, although he followed up with 31 tackles, three tackles for loss and one sack in 2018. Those numbers were far from what the 49ers were looking for when they used a top-three pick on him.

In 2019, Thomas posted 21 tackles, three tackles for loss and two sacks. He played just two games in 2020 because of a torn ACL.

The Raiders can take solace knowing he is just 25 years old. There is still time for Thomas to turn things around, especially following the proverbial change of scenery after he took a backseat production-wise in San Francisco's defensive line rotation.

If Thomas can build on what he showed as a rookie and put the last three years behind him, he can still be a productive pass-rusher for Las Vegas.

One 49er fan a bit negative

Raiders Sign 49ers Draft Bust Solomon Thomas
GRANT COHN2 HOURS AGO
The Raiders just signed the worst draft pick in NFL history.
They signed former San Francisco 49ers defensive end Solomon Thomas to a one-year deal worth up to $5 million, according to the NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.
The 49ers infamously drafted Solomon Thomas with the third pick in the 2017 draft ahead of both Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. Now Mahomes and Watson are mega elite quarterbacks, and Thomas is just terrible. Plus he's coming off a torn ACL.
What in the world were the Raiders thinking?
In four seasons with the 49ers, Thomas never earned a snap he got. Every one of his backups was better than him, and proved it. He played simply because the 49ers took him with the third pick and had to justify the horrendous selection.
So Thomas appeared in 48 games with the 49ers, started a whopping 30 of them and played 1,813 total snaps -- quite a lot.
And yet, Thomas has recorded only six sacks in his career.
He's a man without a position. When the 49ers drafted him, they thought he'd be the next Aaron Donald -- an undersized defensive tackle who dominates the NFL. But Donald is the exception -- there never will be another player like him. And Thomas certainly is nothing like him.
So the 49ers moved Thomas to defensive end, but he's not flexible or athletic enough to be an edge rusher, either. He's a tweener. Meaning he's useless. He's a waste of cap space and a roster spot.
The Raiders will find out soon enough.

BY
GRANT COHN

Buffalo Bills released Quinton Jefferson in a salary cap-clearing move. Tonight, Jefferson became the second Bill to sign with the Las Vegas Raiders this week.

The Raiders and Jefferson, who turns 28 later this month, agreed to a one-year contract just one day after former Bills wide receiver John Brown, whom the team cut along with Jefferson, was signed to a one-year deal of his own.

Per ESPN’s Josina Anderson, Jefferson said that he “really felt comfortable w/ their system & how they plan on using me. Me and Yannick (Ngakoue) went to the Univ. of MD together.” Add in the fact that Vegas’s defensive coordinator is Gus Bradley, and Jefferson signing with the Raiders makes even more sense.

While Jefferson was a member of the Seattle Seahawks after Bradley had left, he did play in a system helmed by Kris Richard, who worked under Bradley and ran a very similar defensive system. Jefferson was a fifth-round draft choice of the Seahawks in 2016, spending four years there before signing with the Bills last March.

In one season in Buffalo, Jefferson played more snaps than any defensive tackle on the roster not named Ed Oliver, appearing on 49.9 percent of the team’s defensive snaps. Jefferson totaled 23 tackles, three tackles for loss, three sacks, six quarterback hits, one fumble recovery, one pass breakup, and one forced fumble during the regular season. In three playoff games last year, Jefferson made five tackles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

seems to be often injured

John Brown, Las Vegas Raiders, Agree to Contract

During the 2020-21 season in nine games, Brown completed 33 receptions for 458 yards with three touchdowns. Brown suffered a calf injury in week three against the Los Angeles Rams. Additionally, Brown suffered a high ankle sprain in week 10 against the Cardinals. After being activated off injured reserve, Brown was subsequently placed on the COVID 19 list in week 16. During three playoff games, Brown had 10 receptions for 86 yards. The Bills would lose to the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Conference Championship 38-24.

During the 2019-20 season in 15 games, Brown completed 72 receptions for 1060 yards with six touchdowns. Additionally, Brown rushed twice for seven yards. In one playoff game, Brown completed four receptions for 50 yards. The Bills would lose to the Houston Texans in the AFC Wildcard 22-19 in overtime.

During the 2018-19 season in 16 games, Brown completed 42 receptions for 715 yards with five touchdowns. Additionally, Brown had three rushes for four yards. In one playoff game, Brown completed two receptions for 14 yards. The Ravens would lose to the Los Angeles Chargers in the AFC Wildcard Playoffs 23-17.

During the 2017-18 season in 10 games, Brown completed 21 receptions for 299 yards three touchdowns. Additionally, Brown had one rush for 10 yards. Brown suffered a quad strain during training camp, which he reinjured on September 10th. Additionally, Brown suffered turf toe on November 19, 2017. The Cardinals did not make the NFL playoffs.

Underwhelming to a degree, but positions of need I guess.

You could easily argue that Jon Brown is an upgrade on Agholor, hes very underrated imo. Just needs to stay healthy.

There wasn't as much room left for Thomas along the defensive front with players such as Bosa, Arik Armstead, Javon Kinlaw and Dee Ford, especially after a decrease in production from his rookie to second, third and fourth seasons.

The Stanford product flashed his potential in 2017 with 41 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, three sacks and a fumble recovery, although he followed up with 31 tackles, three tackles for loss and one sack in 2018. Those numbers were far from what the 49ers were looking for when they used a top-three pick on him.

In 2019, Thomas posted 21 tackles, three tackles for loss and two sacks. He played just two games in 2020 because of a torn ACL.

The Raiders can take solace knowing he is just 25 years old. There is still time for Thomas to turn things around, especially following the proverbial change of scenery after he took a backseat production-wise in San Francisco's defensive line rotation.

If Thomas can build on what he showed as a rookie and put the last three years behind him, he can still be a productive pass-rusher for Las Vegas.

One 49er fan a bit negative

Raiders Sign 49ers Draft Bust Solomon Thomas
GRANT COHN2 HOURS AGO
The Raiders just signed the worst draft pick in NFL history.
They signed former San Francisco 49ers defensive end Solomon Thomas to a one-year deal worth up to $5 million, according to the NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.
The 49ers infamously drafted Solomon Thomas with the third pick in the 2017 draft ahead of both Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. Now Mahomes and Watson are mega elite quarterbacks, and Thomas is just terrible. Plus he's coming off a torn ACL.
What in the world were the Raiders thinking?
In four seasons with the 49ers, Thomas never earned a snap he got. Every one of his backups was better than him, and proved it. He played simply because the 49ers took him with the third pick and had to justify the horrendous selection.
So Thomas appeared in 48 games with the 49ers, started a whopping 30 of them and played 1,813 total snaps -- quite a lot.
And yet, Thomas has recorded only six sacks in his career.
He's a man without a position. When the 49ers drafted him, they thought he'd be the next Aaron Donald -- an undersized defensive tackle who dominates the NFL. But Donald is the exception -- there never will be another player like him. And Thomas certainly is nothing like him.
So the 49ers moved Thomas to defensive end, but he's not flexible or athletic enough to be an edge rusher, either. He's a tweener. Meaning he's useless. He's a waste of cap space and a roster spot.
The Raiders will find out soon enough.

BY
GRANT COHN

Grant Cohn is one of the world's greatest flogs , ive come across quite a few of his videos on youtube. Joke of a journalist. I'd take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Massive biased Niners homer. Cant stand him.

Thomas isn't even close to tne "worst draft pick ever" ....more a bust who didn't live up to expectations so far. He's still in the league so he can't be that bad.

Grant Cohn is one of the world's greatest flogs , ive come across quite a few of his videos on youtube. Joke of a journalist. I'd take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Massive biased Niners homer. Cant stand him.

Thomas isn't even close to he "worst draft pick ever" ....more a bust who didn't live up to expectations so far.
I mean, if Jamarcus or Ryan are not the biggest draft busts ever then I dont know what to say.

I mean, if Jamarcus or Ryan are not the biggest draft busts ever then I dont know what to say.

Exactly, he's a typical Niners fan, lives in a fish bowl and thinks the world revolves around his team.

Disappointed Jackson has gone. Wilson will be less grump now. And Hudson. Would have thought we could have got more for them too. Cards could have thrown in Larry Fitzgerald
Carr is the only senior player now. Its like a conveyor belt of players passing thru.
Looks like we are going for a new, young team.

Still need a RT, safety and a veteran CB. We must have money to spend after all these players have gone.

The Raiders moved to shore up the middle of their offensive line after the trade of Rodney Hudson Thursday by agreeing to terms with former Houston starting center Nick Martin.

Martin’s pending addition was first reported by NFL Media and confirmed by a team source. Contract terms were not immediately available. Martin will compete with Andre James for the starting job.

Andre James was a tackle so could be handy depth

A four-year veteran, Martin’s durability is similar to that of Hudson in that he played every snap of the season for Houston last season and also in 2018. In four seasons, Martin has played in 62 of 64 games — all starts — since being a second-round draft pick out of Notre Dame.

While the Raiders’ offseason focus is defense, Martin marks the second move on offense Thursday after adding free-agent running back Kenyan Drake.

At 6-foot-4, 295 pounds, Martin has a considerable edge in experience over James, a former college tackle who was converted to center by Tom Cable and stuck with the Raiders as an undrafted free agent in 2019. James had one start as an injury replacement for Hudson and 116 snaps overall as a rookie, but watched from the sideline as Hudson took every snap.

Martin, the brother of Cowboys guard Zach Martin, didn’t leave Houston of his own volition. The Texans released him on Feb. 26 and cleared more than $6 million in salary cap space. According to Pro Football Focus, Martin was responsible for one sack and committed four penalties in 980 snaps.

Looks like we got plenty of run options. re signed Riddick. Drake can play kick returner. Seems a strange deal.

Las Vegas has signed Kenyan Drake to a two-year, $14.5 million deal, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported the deal is for $11 million, but incentives can push it to the $14.5 million mark.
The Raiders will be Drake's third team in his relatively short NFL career, following stints with Miami and Arizona. It was with the Cardinals that Drake truly flourished, gaining 1,598 yards on the ground on 362 carries between half of the 2019 season and 15 games played in 2020. In 23 games with the Cardinals, Drake's rushing totals surpassed his output over 54 games in Miami, proving the importance of fit. Drake also caught 53 passes for 308 yards in his season and a half with the Cardinals, serving as the team's lead running back in Kliff Kingsbury's spread offense.
The Raiders plan to increase Drake's involvement in the latter, which makes the matter of fit additionally intriguing. Jon Gruden sees Drake as a jack of all trades in his offense, figuring prominently in the passing game, per Rapoport.
Such a role would make his tandem with a fellow former Crimson Tide rusher and the Raiders' definitive lead back, Josh Jacobs, easier to project. As the first Raider in franchise history to rush for 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons, Jacobs remains the proverbial bell cow in this backfield, but it opens the door for more personnel variety (i.e., two-back sets) that can create misdirection and confusion for opposing defenses.
The money seems to be a bit much for a secondary or tandem back, but the Raiders appear set on their intentions with their Alabama backfield. We'll see if it works out as imagined.

Kenyan Drake generated his most prolific rushing season, earning 955 yards and 10 TDs on the ground, just shy of his 1,000-yard goal.

I would just appreciate a team coming in and allowing me to continue playing my game, help the team win games, be a versatile playmaker out the backfield. I didn't get to 1,000 rushing this year as a goal of mine and I'm pretty sure the O-line and everybody else who was trying to get me there. But three straight years with 1,000 yards rushing and receiving, so just trying to continue to get better year-in and year-out."
A complementary piece in three and a half years in Miami, Drake got a bigger workload in Kliff Kingsbury's offense in his 23 games -- 21 starts -- in Arizona. Over that spell, Drake has earned 1,598 rushing yards, 18 rushing scores and added 308 receiving yards. For the first significant stretch of his career, Drake was used more as a runner than a pass-catcher.

But as of right now, I'm just kind of focusing on making sure I put my best foot forward in this offseason, get to that 1,000 yards."

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back