Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Raiders starting offensive line looks something like this: Kolton Miller at left tackle, Richie Incognito at left guard, Martin at center, Denzelle Good at right guard and Brandon Parker at right tackle.

The hype for Andre James lasted all of 24 hours 😂

The hype for Andre James lasted all of 24 hours 😂

He's still in the box seat to start. Im far from convinced that Martin will win this job. That's not to say I rate James though because I don't.

justblogbaby.com

The addition of Ngakoue brings up some interesting questions for current starting defensive end Clelin Ferrell. The former top-five pick has dealt with plenty of adversity in his career, including a mystery illness in 2019 that impacted his weight and conditioning, and a bout with injuries and COVID-19 in 2020 that forced him to miss five games.

Despite the adversity, Ferrell has been an impact player for the Raiders, but perhaps not in the way that they had hoped when they took him fourth overall in 2019

the addition of Yannick Ngakoue, who is more of a pure pass rusher than Ferrell, there will certainly be a change in how Ferrell is used by the Raiders. Lining up primarily as a defensive end, adding Ngakoue into the mix will see Ferrell play inside at defensive tackle much more often.

He can still be deployed as a defensive end to manage Ngakoue’s snap counts but we can assume the majority of his snaps will be inside.

The Raiders had already made plans to utilize Ferrell more often as an interior lineman in 2020 and he has beefed up from his combine weight of 264lbs to around 275-280lbs to accommodate the change. Bringing in Ngakoue also presents a different look to opposing tackles who may be caught off guard by his speed rush after dealing with Ferrell’s brute strength.

This move also helps Maxx Crosby on the opposite side as he should see fewer double teams and chip blocks as teams will have to pick their poison on which Raiders pass rusher to focus on. We have seen from the previous two Super Bowl champions, and several others, that having a dominant defensive line with plenty of depth is the most straightforward way to control a game.

It's like when the Raiders drafted Left Tackle Robert Gallery at #2 and found he wasn't Tackle-worthy, and had to use him as a LG to make the selection have merit and serviceability. Same with Clelin Ferrell DE at #4 and trying to find a place for him as a 3-Tech to make his selection have merit and serviceability.

With Henry Ruggs already in tow, the Raiders added a free agent receiver known for his speed in John Brown.

Las Vegas officially signed Brown to a one-year, $3.75 million deal on Friday, with the receiver holding an introductory press conference after putting pen to paper.

Brown noted head coach Jon Gruden called him a “perfect fit” for Las Vegas offense and that he likes the way Derek Carr plays. That may have been the tipping point for Brown deciding to head to Southern Nevada.

“The biggest factor was, I had to think about my career,” Brown said. “I actually turned down more money to come here. I felt like it was the best decision for my career, so I had to put everything else aside and had to try to decide what would make me happy at the end of the day.”

It's like when the Raiders drafted Left Tackle Robert Gallery at #2 and found he wasn't Tackle-worthy, and had to use him as a LG to make the selection have merit and serviceability. Same with Clelin Ferrell DE at #4 and trying to find a place for him as a 3-Tech to make his selection have merit and serviceability.

As it stands now, the 3-tech spot for the Raiders could be crowded. That’s where Maurice Hurst plays as well as Quinton Jefferson who the team also just signed in free agency.

Just four years ago, Solomon Thomas was the third overall pick in the NFL draft. He was a force on the interior defensive line for the Stanford Cardinal and the team right down the road kept him there.

Where they didn’t keep him was in the position he played at Stanford and according to Thomas that contributed to his never having lived up to his potential.

“The 3-tech is where I made my bread and butter in college,” Thomas said Friday over video conference call. “It’s where I feel the most efficient, I feel like I can be the extremely explosive, I’m quick, I’m really strong with my size and I’m really disruptive.”

Hudson: 93.6 pass-blocking grade since 2015 (1st among all Centers)

Gabe Jackson's ranks in pass protection since 2014 per @PFF... 2020: 19th out of 68 2019: 14th out of 67 2018: 19th out of 65 2017: 19th out of 68 2016: 14th out of 66 2015: 8th out of 70 2014: 8th out of 66

Drafted by the Raiders out of Mississippi State, Jackson became an immediate starter as a rookie and has consistently ranked amongst Pro Football Focus' highest-graded guards in pass blocking evaluations. Dating back to his rookie season, he has never finished lower than 19th among qualified guards in that category and finished eighth overall in each of his first two seasons.

Pro Football Focus didn't charge him with a single sack and only yielded two quarterback hits against Derek Carr. It marked the fifth season in his career where he surrendered one or fewer sacks and two or fewer quarterback hits, further illustrating his reliability keeping quarterbacks clean.

Hudson: 93.6 pass-blocking grade since 2015 (1st among all Centers)

Gabe Jackson's ranks in pass protection since 2014 per @PFF... 2020: 19th out of 68 2019: 14th out of 67 2018: 19th out of 65 2017: 19th out of 68 2016: 14th out of 66 2015: 8th out of 70 2014: 8th out of 66

Drafted by the Raiders out of Mississippi State, Jackson became an immediate starter as a rookie and has consistently ranked amongst Pro Football Focus' highest-graded guards in pass blocking evaluations. Dating back to his rookie season, he has never finished lower than 19th among qualified guards in that category and finished eighth overall in each of his first two seasons.

Pro Football Focus didn't charge him with a single sack and only yielded two quarterback hits against Derek Carr. It marked the fifth season in his career where he surrendered one or fewer sacks and two or fewer quarterback hits, further illustrating his reliability keeping quarterbacks clean.
I think they meant in 2020

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cle was always projected as a DE who would come inside on a large chunk of nickel packages. This idea that he was a pure 3-down DE at the time he was drafted is just not true, so please stop spouting that narrative.

As it stands now, the 3-tech spot for the Raiders could be crowded. That’s where Maurice Hurst plays as well as Quinton Jefferson who the team also just signed in free agency.

Just four years ago, Solomon Thomas was the third overall pick in the NFL draft. He was a force on the interior defensive line for the Stanford Cardinal and the team right down the road kept him there.

Where they didn’t keep him was in the position he played at Stanford and according to Thomas that contributed to his never having lived up to his potential.

“The 3-tech is where I made my bread and butter in college,” Thomas said Friday over video conference call. “It’s where I feel the most efficient, I feel like I can be the extremely explosive, I’m quick, I’m really strong with my size and I’m really disruptive.”

Yeah they've got Jefferson, Hurst, Thomas, Irving and Vickers (and Ferrell in some pass sets as well). There's definitely a log jam there so I assume camp will weed some of them out.

Yep! The line couldn't run block especially in the 2nd half of the season. Needed to be overhauled. Glad they're doing it.

Jefferson and Irving can play DE. Could keep all of them.

Neither Jefferson or Irving can play DE. They are pure 3-techs. Jefferson will most likely start. Hurst, Thomas, Irving and Vickers are probably fighting for 3 spots at the most, possibly just 2.

Raiders re-signed C Andre James to a three-year, $12.5 million contract extension.
The deal includes $6 million guaranteed. James, 24 in May, was scheduled to become a restricted free agent following the 2021 season but will instead stay locked up in Las Vegas through 2023. He's only made one career start in place of Rodney Hudson, who has since been dealt to Arizona, but remains viewed as a quality NFL starter and personal pet project of line coach Tom Cable. This unit is still expected to regress this upcoming year given the lack of continuity from past seasons.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 22, 2021, 1:16 PM ET

Raiders signed DL Darius Philon.

The 6-1, 286-pounder played four seasons with the Chargers, the final two under defensive coordinator Gus Bradley who now holds the same position with the Raiders. He had 8.5 sacks over those two seasons, which is pretty good for an interior defensive lineman, but he hasn’t appeared in an NFL game since 2018.

Neither Jefferson or Irving can play DE. They are pure 3-techs. Jefferson will most likely start. Hurst, Thomas, Irving and Vickers are probably fighting for 3 spots at the most, possibly just 2.

Injuries forced the Dallas Cowboys to move David Irving outside, where the Buccaneers had no answers for the pressure he brought.

By Stephen White Updated Dec 20, 2016, 1:07pm EST

To cap off his incredible fourth quarter at left defensive end, Irving bull rushed the hell out Wester and then slipped inside of his block to force Winston out of the pocket. Winston would eventually throw a pick on that play while running for his life to end the game for all intents and purposes.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, versatile defensive end Quinton Jefferson has agreed to terms with the Bills on a two-year, $13.5 million deal. The player tweeted goodbye to Seattle before news broke about his new contract.

I'm not saying they play permanent DE. We have more DTs with 2 more signed. Just use Irving and/or Jefferson to spell Maxx against the run

Injuries forced the Dallas Cowboys to move David Irving outside, where the Buccaneers had no answers for the pressure he brought.

By Stephen White Updated Dec 20, 2016, 1:07pm EST

To cap off his incredible fourth quarter at left defensive end, Irving bull rushed the hell out Wester and then slipped inside of his block to force Winston out of the pocket. Winston would eventually throw a pick on that play while running for his life to end the game for all intents and purposes.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, versatile defensive end Quinton Jefferson has agreed to terms with the Bills on a two-year, $13.5 million deal. The player tweeted goodbye to Seattle before news broke about his new contract.

I'm not saying they play permanent DE. We have more DTs with 2 more signed. Just use Irving and/or Jefferson to spell Maxx against the run

Maxx ain't gonna be a 3-down DE anyway. He's only going to come in on pass rushing situations. Ngakoue will be on the field as a 3-down Leo DE, and the other DE spot will be a rotation between Crosby and Ferrell. Ngakoue when necessary will get a spell most likely from Nassib or Crosby in some situations when Ferrell remains outside and Ngakoue needs a breather.

Irving is sitting around 290 pounds right now, he's too big to play as a DE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back