Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I'm hearing it looks like Raiders are targeting offensive tackle or edge rusher in round 1. Havent gotten specific names of targets but have heard these positions tabled by multiple sources.

A tackles a given I'd reckon.

Not a flashy pick but what we need.

Would love an LB that would command our D though.

I really wouldn't put it past them to draft Parsons if he were available.

Theyre focused on OT and edge rushers, but they are flexible and really like Parsons. I dont think he is there at 17 though.

Put it this way, I hated the Kolton Miller, and I like the Leatherwood pick as much as the Miller pick.

In saying that, dude has started 41 games for Alabama both at guard and tackle, and won the award for best offensive lineman in CFB last season, unanimous first team All-American last season, first team All-SEC, won the Jacobs Blocking Trophy for best SEC o-lineman too. Granted there were some opt outs like Sewell which would have influenced these awards a bit, but it's not as if we have drafted a dud here.

He certainly wouldn't have been there at 48, and I think he would have gone by the end of the 1st round anyway.

If all goes to plan they've just selected a plug and play starter at right tackle from day 1 to pair with their franchise LT.

3 picks tomorrow, expect one of those to be a safety. From there, it'll be a crapshoot.

I'm a bit like you Chewy, hated miller and he's turned out OK, hate this pick but I kinda expect the flashy pick. If Leatherwood is laying the wood in 8 years time at RT, then I'll be happy.

Typical Raider's actions of drafting for need because they put themselves in this position, rather than BPA. I know the D is young but we need some studs there. Let's hope day 2 brings a safety early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The general consensus is one good one a reach.

Really depends on which analyst you follow as to whether you deem them to be a reach or thereabouts. Kiper for instance had Koonce at I think 41 on his big board. Then you've got Dane Brugler who had him at 200 on his big board. Schematically, he fits what Gus Bradley wants in an edge rusher. Long armed and bendy. I don't think it's unreasonable to think the player comp on Koonce is Ngakoue when he came out as a 3rd rounder from Maryland.

I'm not sure what to make of Deablo. Has great size but I think he might be more of a project. Will no doubt be an impact special teamer on day 1 though. Apparently he is going to be the will linebacker in Bradley's system, and we have a glut of guys who can play that role so he should have the time to adjust into that role.

Once you get to the 3rd round anywhere you're hardly going to be looking at impactful starters from the get go. The idea here is to look at scheme fit and project them forward rather than looking at what they are now. You're going to have a few exceptions but for the most part, these are guys who you really shouldn't expect the world from in year one, but rather give them a small, defined role, and let them excel at that with the intention of bigger roles in future years.

Malcolm Koonce, Buffalo, DE/OLB
On most draft boards, the 6-foot-3, 250-pound defensive lineman from Peekskill appears to be the highest-rated of the three prospects. He's a coveted pass rusher who recorded 18 sacks in four seasons at Buffalo, finishing with 14 in his last 19 games.

Koonce, who graduated from Stepinac in 2016 and played the next season at Milford Academy, has needed to practice patience throughout his career, but it has clearly paid off. Already, he said 30 of the 32 NFL teams have contacted him, and Koonce has been listed as high as a second-round pick in some mock drafts.

ESPN's Mel Kiper has ranked Koonce as his 68th overall prospect.

"It just feels like I set a goal, kept my head down, kept on working. Then I looked up and, boom, I'm here," Koonce said. "It's a surreal moment seeing your hard work paying off. Teams are hitting your phone up. I remember growing up watching the Giants and now I'm getting a call from a scout or a defensive line coach from there. It's surreal — life coming full circle."

Koonce is coveted for his ability to get to the quarterback, which is one of the most sought-after skills in a league that grows more pass-happy every season. He said the coaches who have talked to him on the phone or over Zoom during the pre-draft process have been fixated on it, often asking him to identify or explain his moves or techniques.

He knows the timing is right to have that gift.

"100 percent," he said. "It's just the fact that no matter if you already have good pass rushers on your team, teams want to get more of them. That makes me feel confident in the place I'm at."

Koonce has been projected as a Day Two or Three pick. But, Mel Kiper Jr. threw a curveball in one of his latest mock drafts when he projected Koonce to be picked No. 41 overall by the Detroit Lions.

“Koonce is a natural pass-rusher who had 14 sacks over the past two seasons,” Kiper Jr. said. “He has great length and can be disruptive as a situational edge defender. He’s being underrated in the lead-up to this draft.”

Kiper Jr. and fellow draft analyst Todd McShay’s latest mock draft revised Koonce’s draft position to the end of the second round. NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah ranks Koonce as his 106th-best prospect.

Koonce has been lauded for his tenacity and 33 inch arm length, which allow him to disrupt both the running and passing game. Over the past two seasons, Koonce has been one of the most productive players in the MAC, recording 14 sacks and 63 tackles.

Koonce has been projected as a Day Two or Three pick. But, Mel Kiper Jr. threw a curveball in one of his latest mock drafts when he projected Koonce to be picked No. 41 overall by the Detroit Lions.

“Koonce is a natural pass-rusher who had 14 sacks over the past two seasons,” Kiper Jr. said. “He has great length and can be disruptive as a situational edge defender. He’s being underrated in the lead-up to this draft.”

Kiper Jr. and fellow draft analyst Todd McShay’s latest mock draft revised Koonce’s draft position to the end of the second round. NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah ranks Koonce as his 106th-best prospect.

Koonce has been lauded for his tenacity and 33 inch arm length, which allow him to disrupt both the running and passing game. Over the past two seasons, Koonce has been one of the most productive players in the MAC, recording 14 sacks and 63 tackles.

This guy is fast.

It’s hard to miss Divine Deablo on the field for the Hokies over the last few seasons. Aside from rock solid production, Deablo is a massive safety who brings an interesting blend of size and athleticism. Sporting the #17 for the Hokies during his career, you’re left with flashbacks of Kam Chancellor roaming the backend of the Hokies defense with his massive frame. Deablo is a physical run defender who does some outstanding work both in the box and running the alley. He has some bad intentions as a tackler and doesn’t miss much in the open field.

Deablo has the frame to play either defensive back or linebacker at the next level, which provides versatility to his future NFL team. With an offensive background, Deablo understands route trees. He has the ability to matchup with tight ends at the line of scrimmage and isn’t afraid to play close to the line in run support.

Tech defensive coordinator Justin Hamilton got emotional in December when he discussed the impact Deablo had on the program during his time in Blacksburg, which well beyond his contributions on game day.
“If he’s not the best human being I’ve ever met in my life, he’s in a category of, like, three,” Hamilton said. “He’s one of the best people – if you meet him, he’ll be one of the best people you’ll ever meet in your life...He was the example for the other players, young and old, to follow with his work ethic, with his unselfishness, with how quickly he learned things, with his communication, with doing anything, anything that was asked of him to the best of his ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back