Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

AFC West rookie grades: Raiders clean up

RANK
A-
raiders-logo.jpg

RAIDERS

Round 1: (No. 4 overall) Clelin Ferrell, DE, 15 games/15 starts; (24) Josh Jacobs, RB, 13 games/13 starts; (27) Johnathan Abram, S, 1 game/1 start.
Round 2: (40) Trayvon Mullen, CB, 16 games/10 starts.
Round 4: (106) Maxx Crosby, DE, 16 games/10 starts; (129) Isaiah Johnson, CB, 5 games/0 starts; (137) Foster Moreau, TE, 13 games/7 starts.
Round 5: (149) Hunter Renfrow, WR, 13 games/4 starts.
Round 7: (230) Quinton Bell, DE, 0 games/0 starts.
Notable rookie FA signings: A.J. Cole, P, 16 games; Keelan Doss, WR, 8 games/2 starts; Alec Ingold, RB, 16 games/4 starts; Andre James, OT, 12 games/1 start.

Ferrell showed promise as a rookie, recording 4.5 sacks, but he needs to be more consistent in rushing the passer. Analysis on Abram is incomplete, as he played just one game due to a shoulder injury. Jacobs, however, was an excellent addition, breaking 1,100 yards as a rookie and providing the Raiders with a much-needed bellcow in the backfield. Mullen was a solid corner as a rookie, excelling in run support while also recording one interception. Crosby was even better, recording 10 sacks opposite Ferrell. Moreau served as a complementary but scarcely targeted option opposite breakout tight end Darren Waller. Renfrow made the transition by doing what he did at Clemson: maximizing his talents. The receiver ran sharp routes and found soft spots in the defense on his way to breaking 600 yards receiving and catching four touchdowns as a rookie. Johnson didn't see action until later in the season, primarily playing special teams. Bell ended up on Tampa Bay's practice squad. Considering how much help the young Raiders received from a
number of picks in this class, they earn the division's best grade, even without the contributions of Abram.

Combine/free agency focus: Two needs immediately jump off the screen for this team: linebacker and wide receiver. Veteran receiver Tyrell Williams flourished in his first season with the Raiders (42 catches, 651 yards, six TDs), and Renfrow was effective, but the team still lacks a true No. 1 option at the position. Linebacker was filled with veterans and needs a fresh infusion of talented youth. The Raiders could also use another young corner opposite Mullen and should start exploring their future on the interior offensive line, with Rodney Hudson (turning 31) and Richie Incognito (turning 37) getting older.

nfl.com

Williams flourished? What am I missing? he had identical stats as the third receiving option with the Chargers last season ...

Williams flourished? What am I missing? he had identical stats as the third receiving option with the Chargers last season ...
When he actually played maybe? Was out a bit injured from memory.

Running back Jalen Richard is staying with the Raiders.
According to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport, Richard has re-upped with the organization just in time to make the trip to their new home at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas. The Raiders are giving him a two-year, $7 million deal, sources told Rapoport. He gets up to $8 million with $4.6 million fully guaranteed, Rapoport added. The team later confirmed the two-year extension.
Often used as a change-of-pace, third-down back, Richard, 26, rushed 39 times for 145 yards in 2019. His ability to catch the ball out of the backfield has made him both a mainstay in the lineup and a vital target for Derek Carr; Richard caught 36 passes (43 targets) for 323 yards.
The 2020 season will be Richard's fifth with the organization. He went undrafted out of Southern Miss in 2016, and signed with the Raiders as a free agent.

When he actually played maybe? Was out a bit injured from memory.

Either way I'm not using "flourished" with those numbers as a teams #1. 😂

There's a reason the Raiders are back in the market for WR this year.

Either way I'm not using "flourished" with those numbers as a teams #1. 😂

There's a reason the Raiders are back in the market for WR this year.
Yeh, he is a WR2 really. Very much a position that requires upgrade.

Would need more players, at least on practice squad.

The NFL and its players' union have reached a critical step in the league's quest to expand the season to 17 games with a potential NFL Players Association vote coming as early as Thursday.
According to Mark Maske of the Washington Post, player representatives for all 32 teams are scheduled to discuss the NFL's latest collective bargaining proposal, which includes a reduction in preseason games, an additional regular-season game and a likely expansion of the playoffs from 12 to 14 teams.
"It's possible, but not definite, that the reps will vote at this meeting on the proposed CBA, according to those people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the deliberations are at such a sensitive stage," Maske wrote. "Even those in leadership positions with the NFLPA were uncertain Wednesday what the outcome would be."

My needs for this off season (in no particular order)

Backup RB - Josh Jacobs and Jalen Richard are a nice combo but they need a backup to Jacobs who is more of a thumper. They were looking all year for one last season but never really found anyone they liked. I personally would love to see them draft Najee Harris in the 3rd if he's available.

WR - We need a true #1 guy. Williams is a solid #2 and Renfrow a solid #3, but we lack a true outside threat. I'm not quite sure who we will get to fill that void but I would be surprised if we don't draft a receiver in round 1. I like any of Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb or Henry Ruggs. Additionally, I would like to find another #4 WR. Andre Holmes was brilliant in this role back in 2016. None of Zay Jones or Ateman are guys I would rely on here. Maybe Doss gets another crack at it this year?

Swing offensive tackle - need a backup to Miller and Brown. Helps in jumbo packages and provides adequate depth given O Linemen are always banged up during the year.

Defensive end - I think you need two guys here. One who is a pure edge rusher and another who is a bigger type who can also kick inside. They like Dion Jordan but he will test his value in free agency.

Defensive tackle - just give us Chris Jones and call it a day.

Linebackers - need two pure 3-down linebackers. I would cut Whitehead as well. Littleton from the Rams would be ideal. I just hope they don't bring Burfict back, but based on what I've heard such a move.would not be a surprise.

Corner - need one outside guy and a slot. I have heard LaMarcus Joyner is likely to play safety this upcoming season, so the slot is open. Keisean Nixon will get a crack at it but they will have competition for him. Also will need to replace Daryl Worley who is unlikely to be back.

Fair few spots but we have enough resources to fill these holes for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corner - need one outside guy and a slot.

former WR who could still be there in 3rd round.

Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU

Height: 6-0. Weight: 183.
Projected 40 Time: 4.48.
Projected Round (2020): 2-3.

: Sources say Gladney has real cover skills to run with receivers and prevent separation. If he were a little bigger and didn't have off-the-field concerns, he might be a higher pick. Gladney has speed and athleticism to run the route, but big wideouts gave him problems, making catches over him or walling him off on routine possessional routes. Thus, Gladney could be a better fit as a nickel corner in the NFL.

Gladney totaled 31 tackles with an interception and 14 passes broken up for 2019. In 2018, he had 41 tackles with two interceptions and 13 passes broken up. He also had two interceptions as a sophomore. Gladney could stand to fill out his frame for the NFL.

1. With quarterback Patrick Mahomes due for a new contract at some point in the near future, it may not be feasible for the Chiefs to sign Jones to a long-term deal. That could open the door for the division-rival Las Vegas Raiders to step in and snag their former foe.
    "The Raiders will definitely go after Jones hard if the Chiefs don't give him the money he wants or franchise-tag him," The Athletic's Vic Tafur wrote. "That's a fact, according to me."
    Adding Jones would make a lot of sense for Las Vegas. A defensive line centered around him, Maxx Crosby and Clelin Ferrell would be formidable. With nearly $52 million in projected cap space, the Raiders can also give Jones the sort of deal he figures to be seeking.
    Prediction: Raiders sign Jones to a five-year deal.

Surely we need a young player

Emmanuel Sanders, WR: Las Vegas Raiders

Raiders coach Jon Gruden loves versatile veterans, and the Raiders need a true No. 1 receiver, especially in the wake of the Antonio Brown debacle. Sanders fits the bill as a threat both inside and outside. He also could serve as a mentor to Hunter Renfrow and any other younger receivers the Raiders might draft, as Sanders did to Courtland Sutton in Denver and Deebo Samuel in San Francisco. Sanders might be about to turn 33 in March, but he averaged 76 catches for 958 yards and five scores over the past two seasons -- and he showed he still clearly has the speed to burn opponents when he slipped past the Chiefs' secondary on a play in Super Bowl LIV that could have helped San Francisco win the Lombardi Trophy, had Jimmy Garoppolo not overthrown him.

They've looked into a few players including Stefon Diggs and Darius Slay. Players in free agency they have shown preliminary interest in include Robert Quinn, Joe Schobert and of course Chris Jones.

Will post more as I hear more.

**PROPOSED TRADE*** 8. Las Vegas: Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson
(Proposed trade: Oakland sends 12th, 80th and 118th overall picks to Arizona for the 8th overall pick.)

Perhaps Mike Mayock won’t fork over the draft capital to move up, but the player-team match makes plenty of sense. The ultimate defensive chess piece, Simmons played 100-plus snaps each at defensive line, box linebacker, slot corner and free safety, as PFF notes, and had 104 tackles, 8.0 sacks, three interceptions and two forced fumbles in 2019.

si.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back