Laser Eye Surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi brothers.

Apologies if a thread already exists, but couldn't locate one.

Contemplaing laser eye surgery. Sick of glasses/contacts.

Anyone had it done care to share their experiences? Costs? Impact on lifestyle post surgery?

Any information would help.

Most people I've spoken to (including the missus) reckon it's the best thing they've done, and the only regret is that they didn't do it sooner........

Strong recommendation. Check it out. I think the wife cost $4-5K. She can now go snorkelling properly!

There are different types - depending on if your eyes are identically bad or varied. Some people get eyes done perfectly for long distance and everyday living, but still use reading glasses (eg wife). Sometimes you can get each eye done a little bit differently, so one is perfect for distance, and one is perfect for up-close reading - apparently this means you don't get 'perfect' vision, but you can cope without glasses at all (wife tested this option with contacts, and it didn't work for her).

But don't get your advice from an internet forum - get down to your optometrist, get a referral and get the full story from an expert. ( there are some people who it is not suitable for, and cannot have the surgery).

Hi brothers.

Apologies if a thread already exists, but couldn't locate one.

Contemplaing laser eye surgery. Sick of glasses/contacts.

Anyone had it done care to share their experiences? Costs? Impact on lifestyle post surgery?

Any information would help.

Don't do it. I have a close relative who now can't go anywhere without sunglasses, is super sensitive to even the weakest light an sees floaters everywhere. Not to mention he has terrible headaches/migraines every single day.

His vision is 20/20 but look at all the terrible side effects he's got.

He also sees flashing lights at night time. He never had any of these problems before lasik. Just keep your glasses/contacts.

He had it done at vision laser on st Kilda road and they are one of the best. I was going to have it done but after whats happened to him I pulled the plug. Heaps of people get these same side effects from it.

my mate had lasik about 5 years ago. he's a tough bloke in the defence force but said it hurt like a bitch for the first day or so. definitely doesnt regret it now, although the results have regressed a little. not enough to warrant glasses again though.

his original script was about the same as mine, short sighted at about -1.00 or -1.25 in both eyes. so basically blurry and couldn't read the scoreboard easily at the footy, or the whiteboard at uni, but certainly not blind. a big advantage was not having to have 2 pairs of glasses everywhere - just sunnies now. and no more $600 prescription oakleys!

personally i'm too chicken s**t to have it done. can't stand anything near my eyes.

my mate had lasik about 5 years ago. he's a tough bloke in the defence force but said it hurt like a bitch for the first day or so. definitely doesnt regret it now, although the results have regressed a little. not enough to warrant glasses again though.

his original script was about the same as mine, short sighted at about -1.00 or -1.25 in both eyes. so basically blurry and couldn't read the scoreboard easily at the footy, or the whiteboard at uni, but certainly not blind. a big advantage was not having to have 2 pairs of glasses everywhere - just sunnies now. and no more $600 prescription oakleys!

personally i'm too chicken s**t to have it done. can't stand anything near my eyes.

Same as me, I'd love to get it done but too worried if something goes wrong. I have the same short sighted vision as you. Went to Bali recently and was swiming in the pool at night, thought I was swimming to the wife and when I surfaced was standing next to a different woman, one of the funniest but most embarrassing things I have done recently :D My wife thought it was the funniest thing she ever saw.

I think the wife cost $4-5K. She can now go snorkelling properly!

ibnzmonkey.gif

Don't do it. I have a close relative who now can't go anywhere without sunglasses, is super sensitive to even the weakest light an sees floaters everywhere. Not to mention he has terrible headaches/migraines every single day.

His vision is 20/20 but look at all the terrible side effects he's got.

He also sees flashing lights at night time. He never had any of these problems before lasik. Just keep your glasses/contacts.

He had it done at vision laser on st Kilda road and they are one of the best. I was going to have it done but after whats happened to him I pulled the plug. Heaps of people get these same side effects from it.

There's always a chance that it won't necessarily work, they pretty much outline that straight off the bat. Re: your heaps of people comment though, I really doubt that's true or they probably would stop doing it. I had it done and it was one of the best decisions I made. It is a bit uncomfortable for a few days, but they give you some eyedrops which pretty much numb everything. The medication is far from enjoyable though, I was literally a vegetable for about two days, the only thing I really remember was vomiting out of the car window on the way home like a moron, and then arriving home and having to lean on my mother in the front yard because I could not stand and was still vomiting.
It cost $4,200 upfront for me, but when you consider that you won't have to spend money in the long run on contacts and new glasses, as well as just wearing them in the first place its worth it.

Inquired about it. About a month and a half ago.

Anywhere from $2200-3400 per eye.

I'm 26. Working the maths out and give some inflation. I probably spend 550 a year on contacts.
Optometrist said I'm prime for laser as it'll/should last 20 years and then older age kicks in and I'll start needing reading glasses like anyone else at that age.
Rounded up. Give inflation. 600 a year for 20 years. Just over 13k in contacts in that time.
So in ten years it'd have paid for itself, depending in any deterioration.
Only problem is the 5-7k needed.

Oh and for the record I work in the power industry and wear contacts with safety glasses.
And I want to travel without contacts.
But again it is a lot upfront for something that in someways is still and unknown.

And just for Convos sakes. I'd like it because I'm -3.25 in each eye.
I always felt like that was on the extreme end of things in eye problems. The optometrist says not.
I've never understood that because I'm as blind as a bag without contacts.
One could only imagine a -7.5 or -9. How fd up would that be.

I can make out shapes with blurry edges basically.
But can't read text or anything from close.
Example being sponsors on a football jumper on the wall. Obviously I know what it is. But to read Hungry Jacks on the back of a jumper, I'd have to be within around 1.5 meters maybe too see it clearly.
2.5 and squinting it'd be made out.

Au further just a blur.

If you can, go get it done in HK. It's very much cheaper, and the surgeons there do heaps of volume. Everyone in China / Taiwan / Southeast Asia / Japan go there to get it done. So it's low risk as they are well trained.

I always felt like that was on the extreme end of things in eye problems. The optometrist says not.

Example being sponsors on a football jumper on the wall. Obviously I know what it is. But to read Hungry Jacks on the back of a jumper, I'd have to be within around 1.5 meters maybe too see it clearly.

Au further just a blur.
Mate I'm -5.5 in each eye haha, -3.25 is not that bad all. Will look into laser as well in the future, bit nervous about having my eyes ****ed up for the rest of my life but as kids say these days.. #yolo...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Au further just a blur.
You sound as blind as me but I have kerataconus! If you struggle to read that bad you should be getting laser eye surgery!!

I'm -1.75 (I think, can't be bothered walking to the bathroom to double check :p)

How did humans with shitty vision hundreds and thousands of years ago before glasses do things? :eek:

I'm -1.75 (I think, can't be bothered walking to the bathroom to double check :p)

How did humans with shitty vision hundreds and thousands of years ago before glasses do things? :eek:
Probably a) didn't know they had imperfect vision, or
B) weren't exactly wrecking their eyes reading books and staring at computer screens for 12 hours a day

I have poor eyesight without glasses and I can't nowhere go and anything to do. But I afraid to do laser correction. Maybe, you think that have glasses is a problem, they can lost, broken. But all my friends are sure it's a great accessory and my feature. I like them) Especially, now we have many kinds of glasses for every taste http://www.olympiceyewear.com )

I just rang me optometrist haven't been since 2013 and need to go again. My right eye is sphere -2 and my left is -1.75 cylinder -3.75 and axis 172 I don't know what any of that means. I have that kerataconus also. Tried contacts but they were no good. Can people with kerataconus have laser?

I just rang me optometrist haven't been since 2013 and need to go again. My right eye is sphere -2 and my left is -1.75 cylinder -3.75 and axis 172 I don't know what any of that means. I have that kerataconus also. Tried contacts but they were no good. Can people with kerataconus have laser?

Talk to the Oppy (you probably have by now). What did he say?

Talk to the Oppy (you probably have by now). What did he say?
Yeh I talked to kerataconus.org they told me someone with the condition should not have laser!
The optometrist mentioned a procedure where they can slow down the 'disease' and some special type of glass contact can be worn.
The kerataconus in my left has worsened and now a hint of it in my right eye. But it slows naturally when as you get older.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back