Last ball - suicide running

Remove this Banner Ad

On the last ball of the sixers innings last night - Tom Curran ran himself out by about 5 metres trying to come back for a run that was rarely going to be made.

But the only damage done was to his career stats.

Yet the throw was awkward and Gotch had to make a good take to effect the run out. He spills that and Curran gets back for 2 and the sixers get an additional run.

In whiteball cricket - I am yet to understand why on the last ball of an innings why the batsman don't run crazy.

The only possible answer is an individuals statistics - which in a team sport doesn't seem an overly appropriate reason.

It depends. Like if the ball is half way through its flight to the keeper there's no point

Why? What if the keeper misgloves it? What if it is a poor throw?

What is the downside?

Tailend batsman often run themselves out trying to get a main batsman back on strike. The clear inference is risking wickets to score more runs.

Batsman rarely do it - and the reason can only be individual statistics.

What is the downside?

Tailend batsman often run themselves out trying to get a main batsman back on strike. The clear inference is risking wickets to score more runs.

If the throw is halfway there it's over.

What is the downside?

Absolutely it's individual statistics. This is a sport where we celebrate 100s more than we do team wins.

Duckworth Lewis System and NRR. That’s why. Also amount of wickets lost at the end of innings is taken into account

Wickets don't count for DL when an innings is complete.

You may be right on NRR - though i would doubt it

IN an ODI and a T20 - being 5/180 or 7/180 at the end of an innings has no difference. Earlier in the innings it would.

What is the downside?

you can typically "read" throw when it leaves the fielders hands so you know if its going to be a wayward throw or not. If its bang on there is no point running as the wicketkeeper will take a good throw 9999 times out of 10000.

I do though hate batsman "giving up" on run outs ie: The mcdermott one where Wade "ran him out" in the big bash last week.

Clearly averages. Cricket is absurdly obsessed with statistics. For batsmen in particular. The notion of a career average is used so much more than it should be. Imagine if footy used that as a reference point. Footy measures thing on a season by season basis. Cricket obviously can’t do that as opponents/locations are constantly changing but the point stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No other possible reasons? I can think of a few:

Psychological. By not allowing the fielding team a chance to cleanly and cooperatively carry out a last-ball dismissal, it deprives them of a momentum and/or morale and/or (if playing at home) crowd support boost going into the innings break.

Physical. Having to exert one's self through sprinting and even diving in a likely futile attempt for one extra run might not be worth the risk of injury. Particularly relevant for those already carrying a niggle, but also look at what happened to a fully fit Harper last night.

Mathematical. Some players can't count and don't know it's the last ball of the innings.

Communicational. Both players are willing to run and lose their wicket, but each assumes the other player is selfish and won't want to risk hurting their average. If they wandered down the pitch and discussed it beforehand, they might've got on the same page and agreed to run no matter what.

National/International. As in, the scope which games are broadcast. The thought of attempting a ridiculous run and totally failing on live television can be too embarrassing for some people to bear. Not an insignificant point, given that we often see players take time away from the game due to not enjoying the scrutiny involved in today's high-pressured professional cricket environment.

I agree, I ran myself out on the last ball of a T20 last week. Mainly because the batsman at the other end was hopeless and I was getting annoyed. But also because I was backing the keeper to stuff it up. Unfortunately my partner turned his back and I was forced to turn back but still nearly made it.

It’s amazing how rarely the keeper hits the stumps so running byes in the last over should be happening a lot more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back