Last book you read?

Remove this Banner Ad

A positive may be that Harper's agreeing for it to be published, rather than the manuscript being found and released when she's no longer alive.

But yeah, will be a hard task to follow up on an absolute classic.

Am currently reading "Ordeal" by Linda Lovelace, after I stumbled upon the movie version on Foxtel.

Is tough reading, felt like vomiting the last chapter I just read. Will persevere tho.
Have you stuck with it?

I read it years ago. Found it to be a tragic read, really de-bunked the "sexy" myth of pr0n and highlighted it's dark side.

Am guessing here, but was the vomit inducing chapter the one about the dog? Enough said if so. :eek:

Have you stuck with it?

I read it years ago. Found it to be a tragic read, really de-bunked the "sexy" myth of pr0n and highlighted it's dark side.

Am guessing here, but was the vomit inducing chapter the one about the dog? Enough said if so. :eek:

Yeah course, got about 2 chapters to go.

And imo the dark side has less to do with pr0n more that complete ****ed up weirdo Chuck.

And yup, was the dog chapter. The punishment for her running away later on a close 2nd..

Yeah course, got about 2 chapters to go.

And imo the dark side has less to do with pr0n more that complete stuffed up weirdo Chuck.

And yup, was the dog chapter. The punishment for her running away later on a close 2nd..
What a hideous, abusive, controlling, freak Chuck was (could go on with the glowing description...:D)

Ordeal is the second book by Linda. The first one, Inside Linda Lovelace, apparently tells how much she enjoyed what she was doing. It was later revealed that good old Chuck wrote that book on her behalf.

Hope the last couple of chapters are a more pleasant read. I honestly can't recall if it ended well.

Hope the last couple of chapters are a more pleasant read. I honestly can't recall if it ended well.

Not really. She meets/marries her husband and has a child, but that's about it. They struggled financially (she says at the end of each month they went hungry, waiting for the next welfare cheque), till she had a car accident that killed her in 2002.

Just finished Mengele by Gerald Posner.

Starting The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris.
What did you make of Mengele Partridge? Must've been a tough read.

A few years back I started 'Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account'. Although I knew the history of Auschwitz, reading about the details was horrific, and I couldn't finish it.

Last edited:

A few years back I started 'Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account'. Although I knew the history of Auschwitz, reading about the details was horrific, and I couldn't finish it.

Oh sounds good. Is that from the perspective of that famous crazy doctor that did all the ****ed up medical experiments?

Oh sounds good. Is that from the perspective of that famous crazy doctor that did all the ****ed up medical experiments?
The one I tried reading was about a Jewish doctor, Nyiszli, who was spared death to work under the guidance of Mengele (Partridge's book). Think it's Mengele who who led the experiments, with Nyiszli as his offsider.

Oh of course that book is only available in "E book" format.

Least it's not in French I suppose. :rolleyes:
Can't get into e books, give me a 'real' book any day. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd read two previous books by the same author (Gerald Posner) and loved them both. Plus I've actually been to Auschwitz and can quite clearly visually it. Very eerie place.

Not so much from the perspective, it's an investigation into where he was hiding in South America after World War II. He died in 1979 and the book was written in 1985. His son Rolf did assist the authors however.

The one I tried reading was about a Jewish doctor, Nyiszli, who was spared death to work under the guidance of Mengele (Partridge's book). Think it's Mengele who who led the experiments, with Nyiszli as his offsider.

Can't get into e books, give me a 'real' book any day. :thumbsu:

Yeah same here. Have put in a request for them to buy it in book form.

I'd read two previous books by the same author (Gerald Posner) and loved them both. Plus I've actually been to Auschwitz and can quite clearly visually it. Very eerie place.

I went to Dachau in Munich. IIRC that was the first concentration camp.

Would have gone to Auschwitz as well, but Phil (my then bf) had his whole account skimmed, 8 grand gone, bastards- so I had to cover him for the rest of the trip. Ended up going to stay with friends, couldn't afford to go to Poland.

I went to Dachau in Munich. IIRC that was the first concentration camp.

Would have gone to Auschwitz as well, but Phil (my then bf) had his whole account skimmed, 8 grand gone, bastards- so I had to cover him for the rest of the trip. Ended up going to stay with friends, couldn't afford to go to Poland.

That's a shame. I've been to Poland twice; really enjoyed it. Especially the second time (weather was better and it was at the start of my trip, so I had more money). Krakow remains one of my favourite cities to visit.

That's a shame. I've been to Poland twice; really enjoyed it. Especially the second time (weather was better and it was at the start of my trip, so I had more money). Krakow remains one of my favourite cities to visit.

do you have polish ancestry (i remember "years of pain" did) or just like the country?

I have just read The Green Mile in 2 days , after seeing the movie a few years ago. .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back