Last book you read?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Stand is my favourite from him, even if it is over 1300 pages long.

They're going to be making a TV series based on it next year, and the guy who will be playing the villain Randall Flagg is the brother of the guy who plays Pennywise in It.
The stand is excellent. I watched the mini series after I read it and absolutely hated it. Almost ruined the book. IT is also fantastic. My favourite would be either Salems Lot or 11.22.63.
He has so many great books.

The stand is excellent. I watched the mini series after I read it and absolutely hated it. Almost ruined the book. IT is also fantastic. My favourite would be either Salems Lot or 11.22.63.
He has so many great books.

Reading 11.22.63 at the moment actually. :thumbsu:

The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond, which explored human evolution - it was decent but spun its wheels a bit at times too.

The first two installments of fantasy writer Stephen Donaldson's newest offering the Great God's War (= Seventh Decimate and the War Within); the first book was so-so but the 2nd really expanded on the 1st and opened things up, glad I persisted.

A couple of Terry Prachett's Discworld books, both of which were about what I expected; kinda Douglas Adams-ish, very very British and quite breezy - funny at times.

The most obscure-yet-oddly-rewarding was one called Round in Circles: Poltergeists, Pranksters, and the Secret History of the Cropwatchers by Jim Schnabel who must've been pretty young at the time of writing.

It was way more interesting and entertaining than it had any right being; Schnabel covers the hokey Crop Circles 'phenomenon' centering around the UK in the 80s and 90s in forensic detail, but it is his talent for weaving together a narrative that somehow gets funnier as the story progresses that made it memorable.
The story focuses on half a dozen or so real-life characters, all men, all middle-aged, who attempt to assign meaning and build careers around the 'mysterious' crop circles. Took roughly a third of the book to reveal it's comedic tone, so it was a bit of a quirky, tricksy one. I liked it.

Just read (listened to) Educated. True story bout a girl who grew up with Doomsday Preppers who didn't believe in school, doctors etc.
Loved it.

I am reading EE 'Doc' Smith's Lensman series. 7 book series of an old favourite SF Soap Opera. I read this series about every 20 years or so. This is my third time and enjoying it as tho it is my first time. Go the Children of the Lens. :):)

Last edited:
Been reading a series of books based on cases paranormal investigators Ed & Lorraine Warren (who The Conjuring movies are based on) have conducted.

Another movie, A Haunting in Connecticut, is loosely based on one of the books titled In A Dark Place. The book was way scarier than the movie! Both were based on a family who moved into a house so their son who was suffering from cancer could be closer to the hospital, and the house in question was previously used as a funeral parlor. However, what was mentioned in the book but not the movie was that Lorraine Warren who is a psychic medium discovered that necrophilia used to be practiced at the property, hence the hauntings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished 'From Russia With Blood', an expose of how Putin, the FSB (previously KGB) and Kremlin have systematically assassinated enemies of Russia living outside Russia with complete impunity. Reads like a ripping thriller but is 100% fact. The worst part of it all is/was not that Putin signed off on the assassinations but that the UK government turned a complete blind eye to crimes committed on its turf purely to protect commercial interests.

Currently reading: Unbreakable by Jelena Dokic.

It is... I just can't believe what I'm reading tbh. I never knew her father was that bad. I cannot believe he basically got away with this s**t under everyone's "noses"- it's disgraceful.

Every time now I hear or see Jelena on the commentary team on 9, i just feel sad.
(and i guess happy that she's came thru it all- but nevertheless mostly sad)

It is... I just can't believe what I'm reading tbh. I never knew her father was that bad. I cannot believe he basically got away with this sh*t under everyone's "noses"- it's disgraceful.

Every time now I hear or see Jelena on the commentary team on 9, i just feel sad.

Really good book actually

Just finished 'From Russia With Blood', an expose of how Putin, the FSB (previously KGB) and Kremlin have systematically assassinated enemies of Russia living outside Russia with complete impunity. Reads like a ripping thriller but is 100% fact. The worst part of it all is/was not that Putin signed off on the assassinations but that the UK government turned a complete blind eye to crimes committed on its turf purely to protect commercial interests.
I will put this on the to read list. I find the history of the transition of Russia from communism to kleptocracy to be really interesting.

Just finished the True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey - started it a few years ago but couldn't get into it, this time around I absolutely loved it - I found Carey's literary choices fascinating; quite a lot of the book is based around historical fact but the fictional detours he takes are justified in telling a great story. Some really odd bits too which I would love to know more about.

Just finished the True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey - started it a few years ago but couldn't get into it, this time around I absolutely loved it - I found Carey's literary choices fascinating; quite a lot of the book is based around historical fact but the fictional detours he takes are justified in telling a great story. Some really odd bits too which I would love to know more about.
Fantastic read. Loved it.

It is... I just can't believe what I'm reading tbh. I never knew her father was that bad. I cannot believe he basically got away with this sh*t under everyone's "noses"- it's disgraceful.

A man that throws a piece of fish at someone just serving food is a pretty low bar to start off with :eekv1:

Fantastic read. Loved it.

Read anything else by Carey, CE (I haven't) ?

Also, in True History of the Kelly Gang, there was a reeeeally weird character in it for a short period, ''Shan'' who was a courier (delivers a message for Harry Power at one stage) - Shan is referred to at one point as a ''substitute boy (or maybe child)" and he clearly freaks the people out whom he lives with - I found that whole bit very odd and even a bit unsettling - he plays some weird game where he jumps around the furniture and leaps up to touch the roof with his long arms and fingers - really weird, couldn't find much about it online ...

The passage where Kelly hears a Banshee's cry was great too. And Joe Byrne was maybe the best character in the book.

I've been on a bit of a Kelly kick since I finished it up, just refreshing my knowledge of what I knew about Kelly and his gang.

Read anything else by Carey, CE (I haven't) ?

Also, in True History of the Kelly Gang, there was a reeeeally weird character in it for a short period, ''Shan'' who was a courier (delivers a message for Harry Power at one stage) - Shan is referred to at one point as a ''substitute boy (or maybe child)" and he clearly freaks the people out whom he lives with - I found that whole bit very odd and even a bit unsettling - he plays some weird game where he jumps around the furniture and leaps up to touch the roof with his long arms and fingers - really weird, couldn't find much about it online ...

The passage where Kelly hears a Banshee's cry was great too. And Joe Byrne was maybe the best character in the book.

I've been on a bit of a Kelly kick since I finished it up, just refreshing my knowledge of what I knew about Kelly and his gang.
It has been many years and I can’t remember that exact passage. Haven’t read any other Carey. In a similar style is Gary Linnell’s “Buckley’s Chance”. I commend it to you.

It has been many years and I can’t remember that exact passage. Haven’t read any other Carey. In a similar style is Gary Linnell’s “Buckley’s Chance”. I commend it to you.

well it was a very odd and supernatural part of the story; I liked it but didn't quite know what to make of those passages ...

will research ''Buckley's Chance'' CE, thanks for that!

edit: oooh - I remember my brother telling me about William Buckley - I wonder if he (my bro) knows about this book; looks fairly new? Sounds good!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back