Last Chance U

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Exers
This 6 part Netflix series is excellent. It follows a Junior College football season in 2015. It really highlights the challenges of rural america, the ridiculous levels colleges go to in order to fund football, and really gets inside the "team" environment. The student counsellor is the real star of the show in wrangling the kids to go to class.

Is this a drama or documentary type series ?

I just started watching Friday Night Lights for the first time and I'm loving it, so more of the same would be great

Is this a drama or documentary type series ?

I just started watching Friday Night Lights for the first time and I'm loving it, so more of the same would be great
Docu-drama. Well worth a watch.

Apologies for the bump but i finally got around to finishing this

That last game was incredible, it did seem like the entire league (other teams, the refs, the people in charge) had it in for the team all year though

It's been renewed for season 2 (which surprises me as i thought it was a one and done type deal but i'm looking forward to more) and it seems like the councillor lady wont be a part of it unfortunately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't watched season 2 yet, but will. Really liked season one. Though the horrifying thing for me wasn't the brawl at the end, but the way they treated the kid with concussion. Clearly not right (in the moments after it happened and then in the days/weeks following) and less than no support from doctors or coaches.

"He said he was right"

No. He's what? 16? 17? And he can barely stand on his jelly legs and then has issues with bright lights and concentration. He is not the one you ask for an opinion.

dangerously rubbish behaviour from people who should know better.

There was no big controversial event in Season 2, unlike Season 1 but it was still interesting.

EMCC losing Ms Wagner (the academic counselor) will probably be a bigger loss than some of the staff realise imo

Buddy is a massive douchebag. Nothing is ever his fault. He lacks the people skills to get along with his staff or players and his only way of communicating is to yell and demean. Despite the fact that the team seems to win with him as coach, that school needs to fire him if they actually care about the well-being of the players and the work environment of the staff (which should be fairly high on the agenda given they are an educational institution).

That team does well in spite of the coach not because of him. How could any player or staff member have even one iota of respect for a coach who basically just belittles everybody. The way he spoke to the oc in the final game was disgusting. Said something about his ex wife. What a campaigner of a human.

I'm someone who knows very little about strategy in American Football, so can anyone explain what makes Buddy a good coach? To me he seems like he just yells at his players to go harder and provides little actual instruction. I'm probably missing something but to me it seems like all of EMCC's success is down to their recruiting and other coaches.

I'm someone who knows very little about strategy in American Football, so can anyone explain what makes Buddy a good coach? To me he seems like he just yells at his players to go harder and provides little actual instruction. I'm probably missing something but to me it seems like all of EMCC's success is down to their recruiting and other coaches.
From what I understand, the head coach plays a pretty big role in recruiting especially when they/the team have been successful. Basically what the school is selling -- chance to go to the NFL, national championship exposure -- comes best from the head coach who has been able to deliver that in the past. Because the seasons are so short relative to other sports and they have big roster turnover (ie a lot of the players who will play for them in upcoming season aren't there until a few months before the season starts) the head coach has the time to be heavily involved with this.

Outside of that though I think you're right, the success on the field generally comes in spite of him. The bit in the final episode where
Buddy tears shreds off his OC, the most loyal guy imaginable who has always supported him, for an accidental mistake in a pretty meaningless game
honestly, I think I lost a bit of faith in humanity.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back